SOUTH AFRICA: 2nd Hunt With @Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA

USN

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Well finally getting around to posting my second hunt report from early May 2023. I had returned from a hunt with Nick @Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA Aug. 30, 2022 and just as everyone here warned me I would book my second hunt while still on the first. LOL. Discussed with Nick doing a hunt with only two animals on the must have list and the balance whatever Africa provided, flexible budget 6500 - 7500. He approved and it was no longer planning stage it was a go!
I stayed at the old lodge last time, this time i was in the second group to be at the new lodge, WOW, is the best description. The view from my room across the horizon was unbroken for what Meyrick Bowker said was 65 miles to a mountain range. At night you could not detect a single light from another ranch or human habitation. the view is to the east providing spectacular sunrise views, every morning I took a sunrise pic to send to my wonderful wife who is so supportive of my Africa hunting, A family of sable were in view almost everyday while there. Food again is plentiful and all meals were great. Another couple also there were wonderful to visit with and made for lifetime memories. More to follow, a few pics from lodge. The plaque and several other pieces were repurposed from other places from the ranch, needless to say Bowker’s have been around these parts for sometime. I enjoy history and will include more historical info as we go, hope you enjoy..

IMG_1715.jpeg
IMG_1707.jpeg
IMG_1705.jpeg
IMG_1706.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
For this trip my PH was Meyrick Bowker, my first trip was PH Ben Pringle. Flat out, I would be honored to hunt with either of these gentlemen anywhere, any time. The epitome of Professional Hunter.
Our first day we were concentrating on Kudu, very beginning of the rut still not on completely but starting to show some activity. Saw plenty of game but nothing was taken. Enjoyed being back in Africa and riding with Meyrick and the brand new hunting pup, Mick the Wonder Dog. The 3 of us were riding in the truck and chomping at the bit.
The next day, May 3 Nick was taking his client after a roan and we were also going to this conservatory to look for blue wildebeest, black wildebeest, and zebra. I had taken a zebra last trip, on Meyrick’s ranch in fact. When my crate came from first trip my Mom who is in her mid eighties took one look at the zebra rug and said she wanted one. Never in my memory has she expressed any interest in my hunting stuff so of course she got number 1 with the deal that wife gets number 2.
We arrived after leaving the lodge early with a packed lunch to make a day of it. Several locked gates into the property key doesn’t work. Nick has to turn around and drive off the mountain to get cell reception to call the owner as we just hung out at the gate awaiting wowed on what to do. I was not aggravated in the slightest as Meyrick pointed out different bird species, baboons and monkeys kept us entertained. Nick soon returned with a South Africa master key and the hacksaw made quick work of the gate problem. The drive up Hell’s Mountain was harder than the gate was. (Not official name, but my nickname) Meyrick had altimeter on his watch and it read 7200 feet on top. As you can tell from pics kind of a plateau once you reach the top. Drive up or down was 1.5-2 hours each way but worth all the effort as once on top I saw a herd of zebra and wildebeest that easily number 500 plus maybe thousands. National Geographic, Mutual of Omaha type stuff for the old timers here. After a stalk my blue wildebeest was down, and as we were approaching it the tracker and Meyrick froze. Black wildebeest at 50 yards. 20 minutes and 2 critters. Time for lunch.
IMG_1737.jpeg
IMG_1747.jpeg
IMG_1756.jpeg
IMG_1744.jpeg
IMG_1774.jpeg
IMG_1777.jpeg

After a great picnic lunch we needed to get to the skinning shed so off the mountain and back to Nicks. Arrived back at the lodge late afternoon so concludes 2nd day of hunting,
IMG_1739.jpeg

IMG_1740.jpeg
IMG_1738.jpeg
IMG_1785.jpeg
IMG_1784.jpeg

This trip was basically to complete some of the plains game after my first trip. My wish list was somewhat flexible and Nick and Meyrick took my incomplete plans and had come up with a planof action. I was thrilled with my sable and waterbuck from first trip, however, i had no wildebeest. Two down, more to go. My only must have this trip were zebra as mentioned earlier and a kudu. I know i have a kudu however i cant see ever going over and not taking a kudu, addicted after one. That leaves a very flexible plan to be formed.
May 4 we head over to a neighbors property to see what happens, I am pumped at the idea of seeing what Africa has in her plans for me. We are driving the property and the tracker and ranch hand have spotted something and get excited. I still have not seen anything, the plan is continue to drive past and stalk in reverse. Bail out of truck after going a ways and begin going back to the area. Meyrick sets the sticks and I still have no idea where, who, what is going on. He tells me you get on sticks and scope and find the horns in the tall grass. As soon as i get in the scope right hand not even on rifle i see the Horns about 1 or 2 inches above grass. He next says if he stands he is running so be quick and take shot if comfortable. Hell i still have no idea what i am looking at. After about 8 hours of in the scope (5-10 minutes) i come off enough to say just grass i can Kentucky windage the shot. Mayrick hand signal 8 inch left 8 inch down and shakes head yes. Great, i ask what is it? He whispers something. Bang! Common Reedbuck down. PS My Hearing is terrible even with hearing aids. Retired Navy and around aviation entire career and lifelong shooting cant hear hardly anything. Full confession, never shot an animal that i never saw, no idea what it is, trophy or cull etc. This is why you have a PH in Africa. The guys in the back of the truck were looking down on the reedbuck and explained everything to Meyrick and he was able to judge from years of experience in concert with the tracker and ranch hand. I never knew anything till we posed for pics, thanks gentlemen! One of my favorite trophies!

IMG_1807.jpeg
IMG_1806.jpeg

May 5, Kudu zebra still on list so Kudu we go. Meyrick wants to try some of his property that no human has been on since Nov when they moved livestock off of. Steep hillsides with valley below. I am all in. Off we go. Get there and plan is to glass the valley below. Mayrick sends his tracker about 300 yards away because of a slight bend in valley floor so can see both sides. I am just hanging out at truck trusting the pros. Smoker, 300 pounds, foot with more hardware than Home Depot. Flat stalks, no problem down a steep hillside that is nothing but loose rock not so much. Meyrick is totally aware of my limitations and will make it happen. After about an hour the tracker comes back n a trot. Even i know this is going to be good. Grab rifle and ready to go meet the guys about 30 yards away but not on downslope. Meyrick translates Big Pig. I drew blood last time on A pig but never found, my fault entirely Ben and guys worked above and beyond but not to be. So of course I am in let’s go. We stayed on top to cover the 300 yards to get to where tracker saw pig. Then I see downslope that we would have to go down get a shot. Not going to lie i had my doubts a bunch of doubts. Meyrick has a plan though, He will lead down to the only little flat knob on the mountain side with rifle and sticks, I will come down with both hands on trackers shoulders as he leads with me in trail. OK kind of, lets go, on condition I can call it off at any time. Down we go at least 45 minutes, about 6-12 inches at a time. Catch up to Meyrick and he says Mac it is a BigPig! I hunt pigs here in Ok where I live and have several big pigs. So on the sticks waiting for him to clear some brush in valley floor. If you had a compass rose shot will be around 210-220 radial 330 yards. Or 7 o’clock on your watch face. Bang! First and only time I saw Meyrick jump straight up in air with excitement. I am also excited but never got a complete look at pig and if i jump afraid i go down the side of mountain. Pig dropped like a sack of potatoes but Meyrick wants an insurance shot because now he tells me to drive down for collection is going to be arduous. Another shot and dust flies off his side.

IMG_1811.jpeg
IMG_1813.jpeg
IMG_1820.jpeg

Ok this whatever Africa gives is just as fun as i figured it would be, seen a bunch of kudu just none have made the cut. Meyrick is very aware of my last kudu and will not take a kudu he wouldn’t take. May 6 we head back to the valley from yesterday but further down, i am adamant that the descent from yesterday is the limit of my ability and his reply is basically we got you Man. I am confident in his judgement without question, the budget has reared it‘s ugly head and a kudu would basically finish it off. Same plan as yesterday glassing. This time it is only 30-45 minutes before we begin descent to get in shooting position. Meyrick out front, tracker walking me down the hillside. Shout out to tracker, he was most patient happy individual one can imagine. Same pain staking descent as before to reach a shooting position. I purposely don’t look at horns, shoulder top due to severe down angle and bang. Kudu goes 10 yards east and disappears, nothing notta. The area is brushy but no way could he have disappeared. We heard the shot, hell, even i heard it hit. No way could this happen. I am well aware of blood you own it after the pig last trip. Please Lord, no. Not for me but respect of the animal. We watch for 30-45 minutes nothing. OK, Meyrick has new plan. Leave tracker to mark spot we take truck down valley floor and commence our search. I have a bad feeling in my stomach and mentally replaying everything, shot felt perfect, sounded good when it hit. Did not see the reaction but both of the guys hit hard. Now did he disappear. After the drive to the bottom and hand signals with tracker we get to where he should be.
Nothing, but ground is covered in huge cracks and gulleys from water run off coming off of side of mountain. Begin searching the ground is so soft that I immediately slide down a crack about 2 feet. i spot blood and proud of my tacking ability, not large but about dime size. I point out to Meyrick who points out broken sticks where he went through a bush further down. Note to self and let pros work. Meyrick yells i got him. YES!

IMG_1849.jpeg
IMG_1851.jpeg
IMG_1868.jpeg

I was able to get out of this stalk due to an old barb wire fence running up/down mountain For climbing up.Fence was in ruin and the really old school heavy guage with huge triangle barbs, much easier. We had to winch kudu out and then truck fell in a gulley, winch out. Wire cable, tracker held cable bare handed while retrieving. Meyrick had bought him gloves but tracker said too nice didn’t want to mess up. Dang

Last edited:
Great report! Your wildebeest is awesome! Actual all true trophies. I haven't seen Meyrick in past reports is this Nick's brother?

Reactions: USN
OK, shooting done. I also got my zebra. 2 days to relax at camp and then back to states.Talk to wife she loves decorating and says bring a hide back so she can recover a bench in the horn room. I tell her that i needed to know that when we went to skinning shed and not possible. She is disappointed, light goes off i could ask nick about an impala, wouldn’t add much over budget and she gets a hide to work with. Boss lady said do it. Now ask Nick, last day hunt for impala. Nick sends to old home place as ranch hands have seen numerous impala. Next morning off we go to old place, for those that have been there the impala were crossing right on the fence line where the vehicles parked. Hundreds of them but the way we entered would shot the house. Stopped let that herd pass and continue on looking for another. Shortly spot a few with a shooter and took this one. Dang I love Africa.
Many, many thanks Nick Bowker Hunting…Nick and family…Meyrick and family which he took me to meet….Ben Pringle…hunting dogs/ Sloo/ black jack/ Mick. House staff /
skinning shed staff i hope i forgot no one. See everyone soon as i am planning return as we speak.

7a87fb58-d0a2-4e4f-bfdb-2e1a8aa8ff47.jpeg
IMG_1883.jpeg
IMG_1872.jpeg
IMG_1870.jpeg

Great report! Your wildebeest is awesome! Actual all true trophies. I haven't seen Meyrick in past reports is this Nick's brother?
Cousin i think, Bowker’s all over the area. Real pro has his own outfit for hippos/crocs mainly.

Awesome (y) Thank You for sharing

Sounds like a wonderful hunt trip, thanks for sharing it and your photos, really enjoyed reading this report.
Meyrick is a cousin of Nick. Bowkers and Pringles all over that area, it seems.
Spectacular animals you hunted, congrats!

You shot some beautiful animals. Congratulations!

Thank you Sir!

Sounds like a wonderful hunt trip, thanks for sharing it and your photos, really enjoyed reading this report.
Meyrick is a cousin of Nick. Bowkers and Pringles all over that area, it seems.
Spectacular animals you hunted, congrats!
Thank you Sir

I have a good reedbuck. Yours has thicker horns. Great animal that is not appreciated like they should be. Fine pig and I like the looks of that black wildebeest. Congrats on a great hunt.
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
doithuong247co

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?