Sorry I'm late, I got here as soon as I could

albravo

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hello from southwest British Columbia, a little town called Squamish.

I didn't actually set out in search of an Africa Hunting forum, I stumbled on the site while researching the Blaser R8 and was impressed by the quality of information being posted. In particular, I read all the way through a thread "Transitioning to a Blaser R8..." and I blame the OP for the phone call i made earlier today and the R8 Ultimate in 6.5CM that is now en route. I have a few questions about the R8 that I'll post once I've settled in.

I suppose my interest in Africa started a little before that. It is winter here and hunting season is over so I usually tinker with my guns and load development but I've gotten to a place where my hunting rifles all shoot tight, fast groups so my mind wandered to the place that any reasonable person would go-- new guns. We have one primary website in Canada for used guns and the guns that kept grabbing my attention were wooden rifles in calibers that I have no use for in British Columbia. Though I understand the merit of buying guns for the sake of buying guns I have an irritating trait that insists on practicality. Why buy a beautiful double rifle if I'm never actually going to carry it and hunt with it? Short story long, I guess I was already thinking about a safari before I stumbled on this site.

I've never hunted outside BC. I've always been a meat hunter and have never hunted with a guide so I'm not sure how I fit into the safari world. I'll read a few threads before I start asking questions.

My first couple visits here have impressed me with the intellgence and experience of the posters. I've also liked the cameraderie evident between members and the pleasant tone of discourse. I know serious topics beget passionate exchanges but I'm too old and too lazy to argue (much) with people on the internet.

Thank you for having me, I hope to learn a lot and eventually add a nugget of wisdom here and there.

Allan

Welcome aboard!

Hola hermono

Welcome to the best Forum! From Michigan..

G'day from Australia,

Sounds like you are in the right place. This place is full of enablers who will support your decision to buy another rifle, take that trip to Africa and even buy a Blaser.

I've taken a trip to Africa, purchased several rifles and formed a few friendships here.

Allan, certainly glad to have you here with us!!

Welcome to AH! Better late than never! LOL. Congrats on your R8 purchase. As you continue down the AH rabbit hole, you'll soon discover that "practicality" is a foreign, seldom used word here. I'm already looking forward to you describing your next rifle purchase. LOL

:S Welcome:

Welcome to AH.

Hi Allan. Like you I was always a solo meat hunter, originally from Montana, now Ontario. It was very different for me when I went to Africa ... the first time. Now I'm hooked. Taken a couple of buffalo but "black death" is the extent of my interest in dangerous game. Kudu are my passion.

Welcome welcome welcome

Hello albravo,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

As for the Blazer R8, there are a good number of members here who really like those and can likely exchange ideas with you on their global hunting experiences with their R8 rifles, in various calibers.

On the topic of double rifles, for most species and most hunting conditions world wide, they are not generally needed.
I love them but, simple bolt action rifles, with a not too large nor complicated a scope on each one I’ve used, has bagged me way more critters than the double rifles I’ve hunted with.

I’m not a Blazer guy.
But, that doesn’t mean anything more than some people like sports cars and some people like pickup trucks.
I predict that once you’ve hunted in Africa, you will want one or more barrels in larger calibers for your new rifle.

Meanwhile, when you get around to it, I invite you to have a look into the Khomas Safaris website.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Good day! Welcome from our side too!
Johan

:S Welcome:

Welcome to AH Allan! I think that you will enjoy your time here and enjoy exploring the site. Looking forward to your contribution.

Welcome aboard, you’ll fit right in here! Would love to hear some of your solo hunting adventures in Canada!

Welcome Allan! You have found the best forum ever. There is so much to learn from so many very knowledgeable people here. Oh and try to stay out of the classifieds. They are addicting! lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KalaMoniz

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,