Some not so common Handguns

Warbeast

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
How about a threat for more unusual Handguns you dont see everyday.

I start with my 1911 in 44 Magnum:
SAM_4153.JPG

Havent. Its forbidden in my home country to hunt amything with a habdgun alone. Only for self defense or wounded game.

But someday, somewhere...
I don't mean to derail the thread but you mentioned you can legally use a handgun for self-defence. I didn't know it was legal in Germany, can you get a self-defence permit there?

You actually can, but it is very rate.
(A license to edc concealed)

But with the regular gubting license comes a contingent of 2 handguns with the reason for self defense while hunting (only on your lease)

Its always okay to ask. I dont take it as a derail

It's not rare, but it's a legal deer and bear hunting cartridge in the state of Georgia, USA.

The mighty .25 ACP!!!

With a whopping 63 ft/lbs. of energy at the muzzle, it is completely LEGAL for any big-game animal in Georgia, even if an elk wanders down here from North Carolina or Tennessee.

The .22 Winchester Magnum, at 324 ft/lbs. of energy at the muzzle, is completely ILLEGAL for any big game animal in Georgia.

25.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not rare, but it's a legal deer and bear hunting cartridge in the state of Georgia, USA.

The mighty .25 ACP!!!

With a whopping 63 ft/lbs. of energy at the muzzle, it is completely LEGAL for any big-game animal in Georgia, even if an elk wanders down here from North Carolina or Tennessee.

The .22 Winchester Magnum, at 324 ft/lbs. of energy at the muzzle, is completely ILLEGAL for any big game animal in Georgia.
Safari Dave, that’s wild and made me laugh….Georgia Fish & Wildlife certainly knows their Ballistics !! I’m guessing your law for Big Game reads “any center fire caliber .24 and above”? Of is it “any Centerfire caliber .22 and above”? Please send pic of any deer (or squirrel) you manage to take with that .25acp

Another "unusual" handgun, I suppose, is my dress pistol. If in a business suit or tux, one ought to also wear an appropriate firearm. My Walther PPK in .380.

PPK.jpg

Another "unusual" handgun, I suppose, is my dress pistol. If in a business suit or tux, one ought to also wear an appropriate firearm. My Walther PPK in .380.

View attachment 580254
Red Leg, nice looking and beautiful engraving. The .380 is a great caliber and conceals well when dressed up —- in a Skirt ! (Kidding)….

Not so common- ok.
M1842 I N Johnson 54 cal percussion smoothbore... aka a Horse Pistol. Shoots to POA at 20 ft and is surprisingly very accurate. I've shot it quite a bit with 35 gr FF BP and patched .530 RB. Shown with companion Civil War, "Puppy Paw" US oval belt plate. Note soldier's initial "H" cut into stock and into lead fill in plate.

IMG_5250.jpg

Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 4.10.55 PM.png
'

Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 4.24.20 PM.png

View attachment 580254

Bond,...James Bond.
Preferred the .380 vs his standard issue MI-5 firearm.

It tucks neatly into a cummerbund.

Last edited:
Perhaps some of you are old enough to remember I.N.S - it was the Immigration and Naturalization Service. After 9-11, INS was abolished when DHS stood up and all the Special Agents (like myself) got moved to DHS. 1991 was INS's centennial and Smith & Wesson produced 500 of these commemorative pieces. I was lucky enough to get one.

INS S&W.jpg
S&W3.jpg
S&W5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Safari Dave, that’s wild and made me laugh….Georgia Fish & Wildlife certainly knows their Ballistics !! I’m guessing your law for Big Game reads “any center fire caliber .24 and above”? Of is it “any Centerfire caliber .22 and above”? Please send pic of any deer (or squirrel) you manage to take with that .25acp

This is equally as stupid crows in Tennessee can legally be hunted with any center fire rifle.

As dangerous as crows are I've been tempted to break out my .458WM or 375 H&H to hunt a few.

Here in Saskatchewan you could use a 25-20 to moose hunt but not a 22-250 or such. That only changed a few years ago. Now most cf .22 calbres are legal but the 25-20 is specifically not legal. It only took about 100 years for fish and game to figure it out.
It is sad that so many game departments have no clue.

This is how our regulations read:

• Modern Rifles and Handguns: Centerfire only, .22-cal. or larger with expanding bullets. There is no restriction on magazine capacity for rifles.

Our deer and bear season ended on Sunday, so it will have to be next fall before I get a chance to use my "stopping pistol".

I might want to get a 100 round drum magazine for an AR, just in case I want to go unethical in another direction...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarioWinsl

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?