Show off your 100-year-old guns

"Elsie," my L.C. Smith Ideal Grade. I think she was born in the early-mid 1920s, but I'd have to check her serial numbers again, and she's back at the hunting cabin. Until non-toxic shot was mandated, I used her on primarily on ducks and geese. She also took my nicest whitetail buck. Now she's my dedicated turkey gun.

IMG_0312.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful shotgun, LC Smiths are one of my favorites

Here is my old girl, a W.J. Jeffery 8-bore 3.25" double rifle. She is either 127 or 128 years old (the data below is not exactly correct).

I'm awful at taking pictures, so I'll include pictures taken by someone else as well.
IMG_20240506_232613845.jpg

Screenshot 2023-06-11 014518.jpg
Screenshot 2023-06-11 020624-Updated.jpg

My “baby” double Raick Freris 1909 in 6.5x53R (.256 mannlicher) still as tight as a ducks bum, right barrel a bit wobbly, left barrel shoots lights out - prints 2” at 80 met.
Shoots goats, piggies and foxes very well.
IMG_3731.jpeg
IMG_3736.jpeg

IMG_3730.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3730.jpeg
    IMG_3730.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
M17's were built from 1917 to 1919.
Refurbished and issued long after that.....but only manufactured 'til 1919.

Roger
Remington continued to make/sell the 1917 into the thirties under their brand. Was it Model 51? Someone help me here.

Edit: Model 30.

Last edited:
Do 96 year old photos of Grand Dad holding his (now my) 1922 proofed, cased, Mannlicher Schoenauer M1910 (9.5X57 - .375 Nitro Express Rimless) Take Down Model count?

From the Goodyear Wingfoot:
JFE Ceylon Hunt 00 Goodyear Wingfoot 001 (3).jpg

Other photos of the shikar:
JFE Ceylon Hunt 0132 Buffalo 01 Front 001 (4).jpg

JFE Ceylon Hunt 0132 01 Front 001 (2).jpg

Johnny's Cat 001.jpg

Attachments

• JFE Ceylon Hunt 0132 01 Front 001 (2).jpg
    JFE Ceylon Hunt 0132 01 Front 001 (2).jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 22
Does an (almost) 300 year old gun count? Meet my .60 caliber muzzleloader.

Maker—I.C. Schefl of Graz, same family that made the barrel of the wheellock rifle of Emperor Leopold I, now preserved at the Met.

IMG_4626.jpeg

IMG_4628.jpeg

IMG_4629.jpeg

IMG_4627.jpeg

Sometime during its working life, the same family changed the lock to a caplock, making it much more usable today.

I'll climb on this band wagon with photos next week or so when I have a bit more time.

I have an original Carl Gutva M96 mauser 6.5x55 from 1898 it has been sproterized and shot over 25+ animals between me and my son and other hunters borrowing it on hunts with me.

15.jpg

The Carl Gustav Sweed with one of my buds that used it on an impala ewe. He will be hunting gain with me on Thursday and be using the Sweed again for his meat hunt.

21.jpg

My son with a wartie with the Carl Gustav Sweed it is actually his rifle bought it for him but he must still go thrpugh the process of acquiring Compentency in order to apply for the license whicjj he can only do at 21 unless we make him a dedicated sport shooter. Which we can do but he is 19 now so hes alsmot tehre anyway.

Then I have an interesting piece in my safe a 6.5x 58 Potuguese Mauser which has a very interesting history.

But I wil get back on the thread next week after my hunt.

Last edited by a moderator:
1890.jpg

Winchester 1890 in .22 Long...

My father in law worked in the Ag industry for 40 years... he was BSing with a farmer in a barn and saw an old oily cloth wrapped around an object in the corner and asked what it was... the farmer told him it was an old .22 that he used to use to shoot rats and other pests with but it had been sitting for years, and asked him if he wanted it...

He obliged, and then promptly gave it to me to "fix" for him...

While filthy as hell, it was amazingly in good shape (I supposed being soaked in oil and then wrapped in an oiled beach towel for a decade or two preserves metal and wood ok after all)..

All it took was a couple of hours of cleaning with q-tips, patches, and gun rags, hitting it with a can of compressed air, then oiling it back up where it needed to be oiled... and it was ready to go...

I took it to him, we went out in his back yard and ran about a dozen rounds through it, and then he promptly gifted it to me...

It still shoots .22 Longs just like it did when Im guessing it was a shooting gallery rifle at some carnival or state fair sometime around the turn of the century... (from the limited research I have done, many of the original 1890's that were chambered in 22 short and 22 long were used in carnival games and at circuses because they were believed to be safe to use in populated areas lol)...

Ive never hunted with it, but I'd love to take it out to my place and chase after a squirrel or a cottontail just to say that I have... its tore up a good bit of paper at 10-25 yards over the last decade or so though and is a lot of fun to shoot..

View attachment 604409

Winchester 1890 in .22 Long...

My father in law worked in the Ag industry for 40 years... he was BSing with a farmer in a barn and saw an old oily cloth wrapped around an object in the corner and asked what it was... the farmer told him it was an old .22 that he used to use to shoot rats and other pests with but it had been sitting for years, and asked him if he wanted it...

He obliged, and then promptly gave it to me to "fix" for him...

While filthy as hell, it was amazingly in good shape (I supposed being soaked in oil and then wrapped in an oiled beach towel for a decade or two preserves metal and wood ok after all)..

All it took was a couple of hours of cleaning with q-tips, patches, and gun rags, hitting it with a can of compressed air, then oiling it back up where it needed to be oiled... and it was ready to go...

I took it to him, we went out in his back yard and ran about a dozen rounds through it, and then he promptly gifted it to me...

It still shoots .22 Longs just like it did when Im guessing it was a shooting gallery rifle at some carnival or state fair sometime around the turn of the century... (from the limited research I have done, many of the original 1890's that were chambered in 22 short and 22 long were used in carnival games and at circuses because they were believed to be safe to use in populated areas lol)...

Ive never hunted with it, but I'd love to take it out to my place and chase after a squirrel or a cottontail just to say that I have... its tore up a good bit of paper at 10-25 yards over the last decade or so though and is a lot of fun to shoot..
I shot a ton of grouse with 22 longs growing up in Montana. Used them in Dad's K22 Smith stowed in my daypack when hunting elk in the mountains or in the saddlebag when cleaning trails for the Forest Service. Longs were much more effective than long rifle which passed through too quickly. Sometimes the birds would fly off quite a ways. Longs knocked them over and they didn't get up. Shorts didn't have enough poop. LR hollow points put away grouse very effectively but made a mess. It should be a capital offense ruining the breast of ruffs or blues. Spruce hens were dogfood for my black Lab. Great memories.

I haven't seen longs on the shelf up here in a long time. Uh ... no play on words intended.

I haven't seen longs on the shelf up here in a long time. Uh ... no play on words intended.

when I was cleaning up the gun it actually took me almost a month to find a box of 100 cci longs... and even then it was by total accident..

I had checked every online source I knew.. checked my local cabelas.. checked a local academy.. and found nothing..

I wandered into a gunshop over in Garland TX (DFW metroplex) where a gunsmith I like works.. and sitting on the counter top was exactly 1 box of cci longs.. for WAY too much money (I think I paid $16 for them?)... I immediately grabbed the box...

Since then Ive been able to find a few more boxes.. but they are definitely not easy to come by anymore..

when I was cleaning up the gun it actually took me almost a month to find a box of 100 cci longs... and even then it was by total accident..

I had checked every online source I knew.. checked my local cabelas.. checked a local academy.. and found nothing..

I wandered into a gunshop over in Garland TX (DFW metroplex) where a gunsmith I like works.. and sitting on the counter top was exactly 1 box of cci longs.. for WAY too much money (I think I paid $16 for them?)... I immediately grabbed the box...

Since then Ive been able to find a few more boxes.. but they are definitely not easy to come by anymore..
Wow. Sixteen bucks for a box of 22 shells? Man, that's a panty-dropper!

Loved scrolling through this thread!! Some fine looking old gems posted.

This is my 1910 MS 9.5x57, I inherited it from my grandad in the late 90’s.

I never could get a handle on archery, so I use this open sited iron for sneaking up on bears.

IMG_0771.jpeg
IMG_0776.jpeg

I’ve got a number of pre-war M98’s that have become custom sporters… most are coming up on 100 years as their serial numbers indicate early to mid 1930’s manufacture.. a few date to the late 20’s… but I don’t think any of them have crossed the 100 year mark quite yet..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
synaworldtracksuit12

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?