Scope Recommendation - Swaro or Trijicon

KDF

Reaction score
I am trying to decide on a new scope for my CZ in 416 Rigby. I will be using this rifle for buffalo and opportunistically on a couple or three plains game species. I currently have it set up with a Trijicon RMR on a quick release mount, and am planning to add a scope on quick release rings for situations where I am not hunting buffalo and stretching out to 150/200 yards.

I am considering either a Trijicon AccuPoint 1-6x24 or a Swarovski Z8i 1-8x24. Obviously, there is a big cost difference. Is the Swaro worth it? What would I be giving up or comprising on if I went with the Trijicon?

Thanks for the help.

I am trying to decide on a new scope for my CZ in 416 Rigby. I will be using this rifle for buffalo and opportunistically on a couple or three plains game species. I currently have it set up with a Trijicon RMR on a quick release mount, and am planning to add a scope on quick release rings for situations where I am not hunting buffalo and stretching out to 150/200 yards.

I am considering either a Trijicon AccuPoint 1-6x24 or a Swarovski Z8i 1-8x24. Obviously, there is a big cost difference. Is the Swaro worth it? What would I be giving up or comprising on if I went with the Trijicon?

Thanks for the help.
My gunsmith recommended the Trijicon with the green tipped post. Fast view in the bush.
I like it for my poor eyes.

I have the Trijicon on my 375 H&H and it performed great during a PG and some
DG (Lioness and cow Buffalo). The green dot was easy and quick to pick up. I’m thinking of putting one on my 416 Rem. I mounted mine with quick release Alaskan Arms mounts.

IMG_7219.jpeg

I have several of the Swarovski scope model that you list and they are my go to scopes. Have not tried the Trijicon but they look interesting and much cheaper, if I was buying one the pointed post would not be my choice, just personal preference. I have several older German pointed reticle scopes on older combination guns, never really got on with them. Maybe an illuminated pointed reticle in a new scope is much more useable. I will make a point of trying to see a Trijicon in person.

Good luck in your selection, tell us about the Trijicon if that is the route you go.

I've used Trijicons for ten years with the green post on groundhogs out to 400 meters and in RSA at night spotlighting springhares at 200 meters. For me, the post's point is a fast acquisition help.

Swarovski is as good as you can buy. I have them on several rifles and they are superb.

Thanks for the help.
I am strictly a Swaro guy - EXCEPT for the Trijicon 1-6x24 (I prefer the amber post)…. I am not a fan of Trijicon scopes except for that one - best damn DG Rifle scope I have ever used!!! On 1 power you can shoot two eyes open with ease!!!

I have the Swaro you are looking at. It is outstanding but pricey. I have a trijicon 3-9x, not the model you are looking at. It works fine but is not in the same class.

Of those two the Z8 for sure

I am in exactly the same situation, looking for a scope for my Cz .416 prior to my hunt next year.

I’m wondering if the z8 1.7-13x42 would fit on a Cz safari magnum with Warne qd’s.

My 3 choices at this stage are

Z8 1-8
Z8 1.7-13
SB exos 1-8

If cost is of no importance, then Swarovski most definitely.

If cost does play a factor, then both brands will not fail you.

An alternative, the one I do, is finding used Swarovski Z6i scopes. I do not give much value to the 13x magnification of the Z8i compared to the 10x magnification of the Z6i, nor "latest and greatest", so the Z6i is more than fine for me.

I have found used Z6i 1.7-10x42 for 1500€ and a Z6i (first gen) 1-6x24 for 1000€. At those prices you will not find anything better & new on the market today, in my opinion. In fact you'll be hard-pressed to find anything better at twice that.

If you definitely want new, do speak to @R&M FIREARMS

Thanks for the help.
Sort answer is yes Swaro is worth it. In my experience there is never a real reason to remove a scope but it is fine to be able to do so. This is part of the major overthinking we all tend to do for a safari.
here is my latest video and worth the watch before you invest in new optics.

If cost is of no importance, then Swarovski most definitely.

If cost does play a factor, then both brands will not fail you.

An alternative, the one I do, is finding used Swarovski Z6i scopes. I do not give much value to the 13x magnification of the Z8i compared to the 10x magnification of the Z6i, nor "latest and greatest", so the Z6i is more than fine for me.

I have found used Z6i 1.7-10x42 for 1500€ and a Z6i (first gen) 1-6x24 for 1000€. At those prices you will not find anything better & new on the market today, in my opinion. In fact you'll be hard-pressed to find anything better at twice that.

If you definitely want new, do speak to @R&M FIREARMS

Very good point, I’ve got a couple of Z6i’s, for different reasons, both were bought at very good prices resulting in incredible value for money.

I ended up paying $1,900 for the Z8i 1-8x24. I thought that was a lot, but that would be a steal at today’s pricing.

Although not illuminated, the Z3 would be a much more fair comparison to the trijicon. The Z6 and Z8 are in a totally different class.

I have the Trijicon 1-6 with the green triangle.

It worked great on plains game and buffalo.

Had no trouble with it on a charging bull.

On 1 power it’s the fastest scope made in my opinion.

Sort answer is yes Swaro is worth it. In my experience there is never a real reason to remove a scope but it is fine to be able to do so. This is part of the major overthinking we all tend to do for a safari.
here is my latest video and worth the watch before you invest in new optics.

Philip, thanks for the reply. Your video is very informative. To your point about removing the scope: I currently have a Trijicon RMR Reflex Sight on a quick release mount. My intention is to use the reflex sight for buffalo, and to be able to switch to a 1-6/8 for plains game once the buffalo hunt is done. I would be interested in any thoughts you might have on reflex sights in general or on my approach specifically. In terms of my experience, my buffalo hunt will be third safari, but my first buffalo hunt. Thanks again.

My gunsmith recommended the Trijicon with the green tipped post. Fast view in the bush.
I like it for my poor eyes.

No no no
Dont use a
Post reticle

Get something with a red dot way better

Leupold are very rugged and tough

The Swarovski Z8i 1-8 being mentioned is a discontinued product on the USA Swaro web site.
There has been a limited amount shipped in recently and I do have 1 still available. There were only 20 shipped in recently we were told by our Rep.

I have and use both regularly. Can’t go wrong with either. But I’d lean to the swaro for the PG part of your trip. The Trijicon is tough and it’s gotten beat on over the years. That said, I’m going with the Trijicon again on my 458 B&M..I like the circle dot reticle and no batteries or buttons.

The Swarovski Z8i 1-8 being mentioned is a discontinued product on the USA Swaro web site.
There has been a limited amount shipped in recently and I do have 1 still available. There were only 20 shipped in recently we were told by our Rep.

Wow, that’s a shock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.