Sauer Drilling 16 ga / 9.3x72R Year of Manufacture?

19_A_CPT

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Commitee Member
Hunted
South Africa
Good Morning Gents,

Had a question about an old J.P Sauer style drilling. In every instance it appears to be a JP Sauer without actually saying the brand name anywhere on it.

It is a 16 gauge over a 9.3x72R hammered version and has the claw style scope bases (original?)

My question is.... When did Sauer quit producing the hammered versions and go entirely to non-hammered? and..... anyway to tell the year of manufacture by the serial number? 12326

I assume around 1925 or so, but just curious if anybody on here could pin it down for me?

Here are a few pictures

Screenshot_20240426_222356_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240426_204430_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240424_075329_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
19_A_CPT: I cannot comment on a "J.P. Sauer style drilling" but on an actual J.P. Sauer manufactured after 1891 there should be a 3- or 4-digit number stamped on the underside of the barrel which indicates the month that it went through the proof-house. See for example, the markings on this drilling "337" which indicates that it was proofed in the 3rd month (i.e., March) of 1937.

Manufacture Date.jpg

You should also look at the specific proof-marks themselves, which will indicate whether it was proofed in Germany or elsewhere. German firearms were required by law to be proofed starting in 1892. Is the drilling currently in your possession, or is it something that you are considering purchasing from an online auction? A clear photo showing the proof-marks on the barrels would help.

This website may be of some help to you:

Last edited:
It is currently in transit to me. I bought it off of the Gun Ebay (Gunbroker) and regardless of year, I bought it for the authenticity factor and a conservation piece. I will report back one i receive it in my possession.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaceyVmw0

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)