TakeMeLord

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Looking for info on Sat Phones.
Rent vs. Buy?

I will use it 5 or 6 times per year, for about a week at a time...

Vendors you recommend?

God Bless,

Dale

Maybe this paints me as a cheap bastard, but I bought an older Iridium 9500 on eBay for 170ish bucks a lot of years ago. Nothing fancy - just calls. I live in rural AK, and have a remote cabin. I also do a lot of fly out hunts around our area, so it just seemed like a good idea to have one. No regrets, and I have. I buy minutes off Amazon as I have the need. It has never not worked.

Garmin inReach is a handy small communicator where there is no cell service. It only sends texts or sos message to other cell phones email address etc. inexpensive and monthly
Is $15 a month you can turn subscription off and on. Best safety on the high seas. Your family can track your progress anywhere in the world and texts work well to update and communicate and no I don’t work for Garmin

Garmin inReach is a handy small communicator where there is no cell service. It only sends texts or sos message to other cell phones email address etc. inexpensive and monthly
Is $15 a month you can turn subscription off and on. Best safety on the high seas. Your family can track your progress anywhere in the world and texts work well to update and communicate and no I don’t work for Garmin
I have this unit and absolutely love it!

I have an Iridium Extreme and a Garmin Montana 750i. I terminated my sat phone service, and started using the Garmin InReach. In Alaska, I got tired of walking all over a mountain to get service, and 70% of the txt messages told me to send again. With the InReach, it keeps giving it a go until it sends. I didn't fancy being in trouble, and having to babysit the damn Iridium until the satellite passed over again.

I break shit, if I rent, I will break it! I bought mine but justified it pretty easily for work purposes. Glad I’ve never needed it, haven’t regretted buying it though

Looking for info on Sat Phones.
Rent vs. Buy?

I will use it 5 or 6 times per year, for about a week at a time...

Vendors you recommend?

God Bless,

Dale
i bought a new Iridum 9555 and love it. i just buy minutes when i go to africa every year. in four hunts it pays for itself

I have an InReach and also have a sat phone. A lot of hunters that I know rent sat phones from Range Global. Below is their website.

Texts cover most needs, but if I understand the question, it is rent vs buy a phone?

5-6 trips per year easily justifies "buy". Text messaging is great, but if my wife is not with me, it makes her happy to hear my voice every now and then. That's pretty cheap hunting tax.

My 12 year old Iridium still works fine.

The vendors are quite used to dealing with your needs, just plan ahead and make sure you have 'minutes' weeks before you travel.

I have the Iridium Extreme. I am looking for a new way to buy service for it. Pivotel, which used to be Explorer Satellite, is a complete crap show. I tried to set up service for just August last year for Zim. They have kept charging me and I had to finally have my cc rec
verse all the charges. I scolded them at DSC severely and got no where. Now I am at SCI and I get an email from Pivotel with a bill for $5!!! Back to their booth today.
Ill need to see how @Tundra Tiger buys then on Amazon. Sounds quite simple.

Maybe this paints me as a cheap bastard, but I bought an older Iridium 9500 on eBay for 170ish bucks a lot of years ago. Nothing fancy - just calls. I live in rural AK, and have a remote cabin. I also do a lot of fly out hunts around our area, so it just seemed like a good idea to have one. No regrets, and I have. I buy minutes off Amazon as I have the need. It has never not worked.
Is there a specific vendor you buy from on Amazon?

@Philip Glass ... I have bought sim cards from Amazon, though I have used eBay too. The cards look identical but it's been a couple of different companies, and sometimes I'm able to just pay and top off over the phone without a new card. The ones I have purchased have been 200 minutes and good for 6 months. I sometimes have lapses in periods of time when I don't need one and I get lazy and let it lapse, and then have to ante up when it does. The minutes will carry if you re-up as soon as it's about to expire, but typically there's not a whole lot left on them by that point.

I use mine a lot for weather checks in places where I can't check the weather. I have a network of friends that KNOW how to read the weather for rural Alaska, and decipher the weather patterns. A couple are bush pilots. When I'm in the field, hunting or up at my cabin for a week to two weeks it's nice to get an accurate handle on what's happening and when; WU has it hour by hour and is usually really accurate - you can target windows of time. Maybe I'm telling you what you already know. It's also handy for hunting if you need more time or need to get picked up early, with the air taxis. I've lived here long enough that I know all the local ones really well. And I also use it just to talk to family, while I am gone.

There are probably better, more efficient ways available today. I started with this years ago and have just never bothered to change. I have heart disease and had my heart worked on in 2012. I am in really good shape now, but I often go to the cabin alone to work, so this seemed like fairly cheap insurance. My card is specific to Alaska and Canada and runs about 275-300 for that 6 month card. Sorry to be long-winded.

@Philip Glass ... I have bought sim cards from Amazon, though I have used eBay too. The cards look identical but it's been a couple of different companies, and sometimes I'm able to just pay and top off over the phone without a new card. The ones I have purchased have been 200 minutes and good for 6 months. I sometimes have lapses in periods of time when I don't need one and I get lazy and let it lapse, and then have to ante up when it does. The minutes will carry if you re-up as soon as it's about to expire, but typically there's not a whole lot left on them by that point.

I use mine a lot for weather checks in places where I can't check the weather. I have a network of friends that KNOW how to read the weather for rural Alaska, and decipher the weather patterns. A couple are bush pilots. When I'm in the field, hunting or up at my cabin for a week to two weeks it's nice to get an accurate handle on what's happening and when; WU has it hour by hour and is usually really accurate - you can target windows of time. Maybe I'm telling you what you already know. It's also handy for hunting if you need more time or need to get picked up early, with the air taxis. I've lived here long enough that I know all the local ones really well. And I also use it just to talk to family, while I am gone.

There are probably better, more efficient ways available today. I started with this years ago and have just never bothered to change. I have heart disease and had my heart worked on in 2012. I am in really good shape now, but I often go to the cabin alone to work, so this seemed like fairly cheap insurance. My card is specific to Alaska and Canada and runs about 275-300 for that 6 month card. Sorry to be long-winded.
Thanks

I have the Iridium Extreme. I am looking for a new way to buy service for it. Pivotel, which used to be Explorer Satellite, is a complete crap show. I tried to set up service for just August last year for Zim. They have kept charging me and I had to finally have my cc rec
verse all the charges. I scolded them at DSC severely and got no where. Now I am at SCI and I get an email from Pivotel with a bill for $5!!! Back to their booth today.
Ill need to see how @Tundra Tiger buys then on Amazon. Sounds quite simple.
I use Blue Cosmo and have no problem, competitive cost and good customer service…just got my new sim card for my April hunt

I use Blue Cosmo and have no problem, competitive cost and good customer service…just got my new sim card for my April hunt
Thanks FT!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColetteJ48

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?