Safari Season 2024 Has Started - Where We Going?

Cleathorn

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI; DSC
Hunted
Most of US, Canada, South America, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Uganda, Cameroon, Spain, Serbia, Slovenia, Macedonia
The 2024 hunting/safari season has started. I am currently sitting in a hotel in Nairobi, Kenya on a stopover to the Karamoja region of Uganda (I know, I should be at the Stanley Hotel for pure nostalgia reasons, but the flight landed late and it’s not close to airport).

I left the house on Dec. 31st, flew to Kenya and it’s on to Uganda tomorrow. I start hunting on January 3rd. Very excited to be hunting the same ground as the famed “Karamoja Bell” - though I will not be hunting elephant (or Buffalo) on this trip. This is a scouting trip for 5 or 6 of the East African specific plains game.

It’s always exciting to hunt new areas and new species, with new people. I’m hunting with Abe Langley’s KOS Safari to see what he has going in Uganda. Bought this trip at DSC last year while Abe was laid up in England with a bout of malaria (started my prophylactics this morning).

I have a trip booked to Cameroon in March with Mayo Oldiri on a special license for some savanna species, and Namibia in June in an effort to take a Danamarra dik-dik, a Kalahari springbuck (I’ve taken all the others) and whatever else we can scrape up.

If I can get it worked out, might be able to do a Carpathian chamois in Romania in the fall - but still working on that one.

This year will be all new areas and new outfitters for me. Scouting trips really (except Romania - that’s to complete the chamois world slam). I love trip planning, and finding new areas and adventures. As much as I love Africa, and I do love Africa, i’m getting really interested in the hunting in eastern Europe as well. If you haven’t tried it, I would really recommend the Balkan countries for roe deer, red deer, fallow deer, chamois, mouflon, wolf and boar. Awesome hunting traditions in the hunting clubs and regions of eastern Europe.

Anyway, that’s what i have going on in 2024. Would love to hear about what everyone else is planning, be it a new area, first time trip to Africa, father/daughter whitetail in Ohio, whatever you got. If you are hunting in southern Africa you have a few months of planning/anticipation anyway, so let’s talk about it.

And Happy New Year!

It sounds like a big year @Cleathorn , I am envious of your Karamojo hunt.
This year our group plans to do a number of PG hunts here in Zimbabwe, for kudu and nyala or bushbuck most likely. Then around September the big hunt will be for an old dagga boy in the Zambezi valley or Save. Then we will enter four teams into the annual tiger fish tournament at Kariba. A pretty full year.

Everything I do is far lower budget or I would only be able to go every few years. Can't handle that. Lol
That said I'm leaving for England next week for a muntjac and CWD hunt. 4 days hunting about an hour west of London.
Should draw a Michigan bear tag in the UP after 10 years of applying as a non resident.
Might take my grandson fishing in Alaska in June. I have enough air miles with Alaska airlines for free tickets.

It sounds like a big year @Cleathorn , I am envious of your Karamojo hunt.
This year our group plans to do a number of PG hunts here in Zimbabwe, for kudu and nyala or bushbuck most likely. Then around September the big hunt will be for an old dagga boy in the Zambezi valley or Save. Then we will enter four teams into the annual tiger fish tournament at Kariba. A pretty full year.
Love the Zambezi Valley. Hunted the middle Zambezi Valley and the Makuti Concession at the east end of the lake with Lin Stanton a few times in recent years. Great areas, and some good old bulls on the east end.

I would love to come over and fish the tournament on Kariba. Lin has told me some stories (most not fit to print) about it. But as a middle aged American, not sure I can hang with you Zim guys out there. You’ll have fun.

I’ve got two big hunts planned. I’ll be going to Namibia in early March to hunt plains game in Kaokoland in NW Namibia and do some ranch hunting as well. Then I’ll be going to Dande in Zambezi Valley in Zimbabwe for bull elephant in July. I’ll possibly add a shorter notice European hunt in the fall as well. I’m very excited for the elephant hunt. It will be a new experience for me.

Love the Zambezi Valley. Hunted the middle Zambezi Valley and the Makuti Concession at the east end of the lake with Lin Stanton a few times in recent years. Great areas, and some good old bulls on the east end.

I would love to come over and fish the tournament on Kariba. Lin has told me some stories (most not fit to print) about it. But as a middle aged American, not sure I can hang with you Zim guys out there. You’ll have fun.
Kitft has calmed down a lot, plenty of families come, quite professional really. All catch and release. You should come.

The 2024 hunting/safari season has started. I am currently sitting in a hotel in Nairobi, Kenya on a stopover to the Karamoja region of Uganda (I know, I should be at the Stanley Hotel for pure nostalgia reasons, but the flight landed late and it’s not close to airport).

I left the house on Dec. 31st, flew to Kenya and it’s on to Uganda tomorrow. I start hunting on January 3rd. Very excited to be hunting the same ground as the famed “Karamoja Bell” - though I will not be hunting elephant (or Buffalo) on this trip. This is a scouting trip for 5 or 6 of the East African specific plains game.

It’s always exciting to hunt new areas and new species, with new people. I’m hunting with Abe Langley’s KOS Safari to see what he has going in Uganda. Bought this trip at DSC last year while Abe was laid up in England with a bout of malaria (started my prophylactics this morning).

I have a trip booked to Cameroon in March with Mayo Oldiri on a special license for some savanna species, and Namibia in June in an effort to take a Danamarra dik-dik, a Kalahari springbuck (I’ve taken all the others) and whatever else we can scrape up.

If I can get it worked out, might be able to do a Carpathian chamois in Romania in the fall - but still working on that one.

This year will be all new areas and new outfitters for me. Scouting trips really (except Romania - that’s to complete the chamois world slam). I love trip planning, and finding new areas and adventures. As much as I love Africa, and I do love Africa, i’m getting really interested in the hunting in eastern Europe as well. If you haven’t tried it, I would really recommend the Balkan countries for roe deer, red deer, fallow deer, chamois, mouflon, wolf and boar. Awesome hunting traditions in the hunting clubs and regions of eastern Europe.

Anyway, that’s what i have going on in 2024. Would love to hear about what everyone else is planning, be it a new area, first time trip to Africa, father/daughter whitetail in Ohio, whatever you got. If you are hunting in southern Africa you have a few months of planning/anticipation anyway, so let’s talk about it.

And Happy New Year!
I hunt my Rhino and a Cape Buffalo cow in April for a week in SA then on to Zim with Tokoloshe for a Trophy elephant hunt

I’m back at @Bos en Dal SAFARIS in July… no clue what we are hunting yet… we’ll figure that out a little better over the next few months (I hope :) )…

We’ve got a big Idaho trip planned for October as well… both the wife and I drew elk and mule deer tags.. planning for 7-9 days plodding through the mountains there..

I am taking my youngest son and 3 others back to the Zambezi Valley this year. We will hunt buffalo and others in July With D&Y.
A good friend and I will venture back to Alaska in September for a full bag Alaskan hunt.
December will find me in Spain chasing Ibex.

I am taking my youngest son and 3 others back to the Zambezi Valley this year. We will hunt buffalo and others in July With D&Y.
A good friend and I will venture back to Alaska in September for a full bag Alaskan hunt.
December will find me in Spain chasing Ibex.
I hunted the Spanish Ibex slam and both chamois in 2021 and 2022. I love the hunting culture in Spain. Would like to get there in 2025 to hunt an Iberian mouflon up in the Pyrenees.

Nothing planned yet for 2024 just bird hunts. Will see what we are doing after Dallas SCI.

Namibia in late July. Eland, Kudu, and a few others. Mostly with the bow but will look for a 40” oryx spot and stalk with gun also. Maybe a giraffe with the bow - working in some 800-900 grain arrows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeriEllzey

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek