Safari frequency?

Oh this is such a loaded question. I have been very fortunate to go as much as I have. But honestly hunting trips is my only motivation to go above and beyond at work. This site has actually benefited my employer more than he knows.

I try to do 2 trips a year of some sort, I have gone to Africa 5 times in the last 10 years. I have drawn some pretty good tags out west, including a buffalo, goulds turkey and elk. I have hunted Canada for sheep and Europe twice. The African bug has bit me pretty hard, and I find myself looking at more and more exotic locations. I hope to someday hunt Cameroon and Uganda (not sure for what).

I think @gillettehunter was referencing me when he said a friend looking at Ibex hunts. I love the mountains and plan to hunt Ibex and Sheep pretty hard over the next 5 years. I am hunting sheep this year in the Yukon and just might pull off an Ibex hunt as well. I do have a leopard hunt booked for 2025. 2024 is a bit unknown. I might have to be "a responsible adult" in 2024 but also might have an epic adventure with a good friend. We will see.

With all that being said, I make hunting a priority and it is a line item on my monthly budget. I do have a car payment but figure no one remembers paying off their car, so I rather go hunting. Not good fiscal advice, but it works for me. Someday I will slow down, I hope to one day spend a month or two in Africa maybe just walking up Grouse or Francolin.

My biggest fear is I will have a health issue, or my family will have a health issue and all of the good times abruptly stop and I look back with regrets. I have lost a lot of friends and attended too many funerals for those that went too young. Those events have greatly influenced me to make sure I hunt someplace new every year.

I will have to add I have become a bit disillusioned with Western hunting, which is a bit unfortunate. There are some great people out there and some amazing outfitters. Hunts I dreamed about, but priorities change, would rather chase Roe deer across Europe. At some point I will stop buying points and will just go out there to fish or shoot grouse.

Every 3 to 5 years depending on funds and folks who want to go with me. I don't want to go on my own, I enjoy sharing the experience with my friends and family.

have a job where i can take very little vacation, but I work too hard for my money to piss it away paying retail. So I go often, sometimes twice a year. But I do it thrifty, in that I am the first hunter in the country around March-April where they are very hungry for business, and I get a break. I'm also the hunter that goes on safari in October, hoping I beat the rains. The last guy in is the last drop of income the operators will get for six months and they may have excess quota, so I will jump on last minute opportunities with the operators I trust.
Great and realistic view.
I find similarities in my way of thinking.
A side question:
By going late season, or early season, do you have a rough estimate of approximate USA$ savings in % ?

Great and realistic view.
I find similarities in my way of thinking.
A side question:
By going late season, or early season, do you have a rough estimate of approximate USA$ savings in % ?

It varies. But I’ve never paid as much for trophy exportable bull as people schedule ahead and pay for tuskless.

18 day hunts. All-in, with airfare, usually with a big-5, and my son hunting as well, and two PHs and two trucks, I’m spending $17,000-$22,000.

I’ve never spent more than that in Africa ever.

Priorities in life dictate safaris. Family, kids, work and mostly finances. Seamed easier when I worked. Then divorce, kids grew up and retirement in 2017. First 4 were all wild, huge areas, Zim and Namibia, then bug bit in 2018, then another bug hit in 2019 that delayed SA until 2021.

My hunts seam further apart than most posts on here. Normal was every 5-8 years, spent time and money on NA game and fishing many places. Now even 2 years since last safari I am aching to return, I long for Zim and wild again. Time to rethink leaving the kids any inheritance, living and returning to Africa.

Envy those who have the ability for multiple trips yearly. Seams @Philip Glass has it about perfect. Well done.

MB
Thanks Mark. I know I am blessed to be able to do what I do. This is why I am passionate about advising and taking others on safari And share this love of safari.

Haven't been yet, will likely be a once in a lifetime.
I am going on my 5th once in a lifetime trip. I am not wealth but I have learned to save and do without in order to get back to Africa, New Zealand, and hunting the world.

Lots of first timers say that it is a "once in a lifetime trip." So, my advise is treat it like you are going back, slow down, enjoy the experience, and listen to your PH. You say "will likely be" but I say "will not likely be."

I've only been twice 2012 & 2022, and there was a 10-year gap between the first trip and my last one. On my last trip I did two hunts, one in the Eastern Cape and one in the Kalahari. My plan now is to go every other year even if it's only for PG. I am fortunate to have a wonderful and supporting wife. :)

Last edited:
My 3 times in 5 years, isnt so bad, as it seams.
But some of you are really hyperactive! I will need to pick up pace, and to catch up! (y)

I am swinging the same way. Mine have done all the schooling they wanted and now have their own successful lives. I think their golden egg will turn to more mounts in a room. I am only 57, maybe when I am 77?? I will ask for them to take me on safari??

Zim is calling.

MB
Lol! I just turned 64 and am in great health. My kids are grateful and in all seriousness encourage me to go

@Rare Breed, I'm with you. Done with the kids, and they are successful and have good jobs. I told my kids that I was going to enjoy my money, and when I go, I hope my bank account is showing a bunch of 00000s. My inheritance will be the house and all my guns. Hopefully they'll like and keep my African trophies. LOL!!!!!

My hunt goals are more oriented around experiences and animals I want to hunt. Once it’s accomplished, I move forward. Moose, caribou, various deer, a LOT of waterfow…now African plains game…then dangerous game, wild sheep in the NWT, a Kodiak bear…

I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound like a non-resident whiner. I wanted to point out that big game opportunities for non-resident hunters in the US are becoming more limited and more expensive.

A non-resident has little to no opportunity for moose, goats, sheep in the lower 48.

I have been buying antelope preference points for 8 years for myself, my wife and son. 24 points at $30 or so. It adds up to several hundred dollars. The unit I chose to hunt requires a minimum of 8 points to draw with the special license. I chose this unit because it is mostly public (Federal) land. Some units require as many as 14 points. Units with lower point requirements typically have less public land.

I think residents should get first opportunity at licenses in their state, at a much lower price. I don't think non-residents such as myself have equal opportunity to licenses just because they hunt on Federal land. States need to regulate hunting in their own state. We don't want the Federal gov. doing it. A Federal judge shut down wolf hunting in MN and grizzly hunting in WY. That's wrong, states should have complete control over the wildlife in their state.

There are several changes coming to Wyoming in 2024, look up HB0200. Non-resident elk licenses will be $1,958 after buying the license and special permit fee. This is on top of any preference points purchased along the way. Antelope will be $874 for the special fee, plus whatever the license fee is. So it will be well over $1,200. Deer license costs are similar.

I predict Colorado is going to see a lot more pressure from non-resident hunters in 2024. In my home state of MN a non-resident can buy an antlered deer tag over the counter every year for $185.

I'm done talking about the increased costs and limited opportunities for non-residents in the US. That's not what this thread is about. I wanted to point out a trend that is making African big game hunting more and more attractive to US hunters who have typically hunted as non-residents in other states.
You might want to consider looking at Europe. I find flying to Europe as easy as flying to a western state. No tags, no draws, very high success on well managed game. A lot of areas offer very reasonable prices. Roe deer, red stag, and boar are primary game animals. To tie it back to this thread. My original answer was I want to go on an African safari once per year but I supplement it with several short hunting trips to Europe as well. This year will be Africa once and 3 small European trips.

You might want to consider looking at Europe. I find flying to Europe as easy as flying to a western state. No tags, no draws, very high success on well managed game. A lot of areas offer very reasonable prices. Roe deer, red stag, and boar are primary game animals. To tie it back to this thread. My original answer was I want to go on an African safari once per year but I supplement it with several short hunting trips to Europe as well. This year will be Africa once and 3 small European trips.
Which European countries/regions would you recommend?

Hey Northern Shooter - I have hunted Romania and Italy both in 2022 for roe deer and would highly recommend both. Simple, relatively quick hunts. I am hunting Italy again in Sept. for Chamois (mountain hunt). My son and I have a hunt booked for Ibex in Spain this year as well. Take your pick - Red Stag, Fallow, Roe deer, Mouflon, Chamois, boar, even bear in some areas. I personally would take a hard look at Italy, Spain, Hungary and Croatia. I will say I am easy to please and will go just about anywhere. Many more such as Romania, UK/Ireland, France, Sweden, etc... all have hunts available. Some simpler than others.

Which European countries/regions would you recommend?
I’ve hunted Spain for driven Monteria, gredos ibex, beceite ibex, and roe deer. I’ve hunted Poland twice for roe deer. I’ve hunted southern France twice for roe deer. This year I’ll return to Poland again, but I’m going to Sweden for roe deer and Romania for fallow buck. Poland has been my favorite so far.

I personally would take a hard look at Italy, Spain, Hungary and Croatia. I will say I am easy to please and will go just about anywhere. Many more such as Romania, UK/Ireland, France, Sweden, etc... all have hunts available. Some simpler than others.
Really they are all extremely simple compared to planning an African safari or trying to understand non-resident western draws. The biggest obstacle I’ve found is something of a communication barrier even though the English is good. Americans and Europeans plan hunts differently. I rent a gun each time to keep it simple.

I know, I have hunted Wyoming and it irks me to see someone come on and start to complain on the North American Wildlife model of conversation. It also appears from the comment "hunting

The last that I saw there were over 100,000 non resident elk tags sold in Colorado, that is more than all the hunters who hunt South Africa. The poster also appears from his comment of "fellow US residents to hunt on our federal land" that he feel as if he should be able to hunt any and all states for the resident fees even with the animals being managed by the states.

I wonder how South Africa and the rest of Africa wold look like animal wise if all those who hunt out west headed over there to shoot animals, how long would their resource last?
I'm the poster that irks you. My friends and I have been volunteers for RMEF since 1985 and have sent thousand and thousands of dollars to western states to preserve land. We are the non residents you're talking about.

Ask the average guy at a RMEF banquet if he can spend $1,985 for a non resident tag and you know what is answer will be ?

Heading to that airport for number 3 on Friday. It took 4 years between 1 and 2, and 2 years between 2 and 3. I'm planning Alaska next year and back to Africa for 2025. My hunting habit (and its associated costs) really drive my work ethic. Thankfully I have a wife and kids (well, the 7 year old boy, thusfar) that value hunting the same way I do. That 2025 trip may be the first full family trip, still debating bringing a (then) 5 year old on such a plane flight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Swamptrudger

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,