Ruger Tang safety M77 458 Win Mag

rwp315

AH senior member
Reaction score
Articles
Is considered to be a good rifle?

I have used one for over 25yrs as a work rifle & all around shoot stuff in the NT, even shot Crows with it.
Only one time it failed to pick up was when the mag spring was weak or broke, a while ago can't remember which, stopped a charge Point Blank with it after a hunter wounded a good Bull with a .416 Rem Winchester M70 (not the rifle or calibers fault) only last season .

I have a few .458Win & used a lot more, the M77 was a good rifle for me & I like the Safety position.

I have used one for over 25yrs as a work rifle & all around shoot stuff in the NT, even shot Crows with it.
Only one time it failed to pick up was when the mag spring was weak or broke, a while ago can't remember which, stopped a charge Point Blank with it after a hunter wounded a good Bull with a .416 Rem Winchester M70 (not the rifle or calibers fault) only last season .

I have a few .458Win & used a lot more, the M77 was a good rifle for me & I like the Safety position.
Thank you for the info!

How is the recoil in it? Almost bought one, went with a Ruger in 375 Ruger instead.

There is recoil, I think it is subjective but it does seem more off the bench now days as I get older, never notice in the field, even had a .470NE double once & wondered why the second barrel wouldn't fire, after I reloaded I noticed BOTH barrels had fired, recoil didn't seem much worse at the time of firing but did seem louder lol !

The old M77 in .458Win is a good weight (heavy) rifle with a far too heavy barrel to me, I remember now the owner before me bought it new & didn't like the accuracy of the factory barrel & fitted a new barrel, it shoots like a target rifle, totally unneeded in a .458 really but nice to shoot Crows & small things in the head if I want to eat them.

I had a Ruger Alaskan in 416 Ruger, it really looks the part of a working business rifle, but was crappy at feeding & bullets jumping out of the mag, ammo is harder to find, expensive & I thought it kicked the same or sharper than my .458's .
I fitted a .458Win barrel to it but didn't like it, refitted the .416 barrel & sold it, only in the last couple of weeks fitted that 458Win barrel to a MKII Ruger action in the Hogue stock & think I might like it .

Not finished yet, need to fit rear sight & blue, might even take a couple of inches off the barrel ?

My Ruger .458Win.jpg

I love mine. I've done some work to it but great action, good extractor, like the ability to throw an additional round in quick if needed (doesn't have to pick up from the mag), nice trigger, love the safety (it's like my double), comfortable to shoot, and ridiculously accurate (common 100 yr group below - it's about equally accurate w/ 405 gr light practice loads as 450 gr TSX full loads). I typically bring it with my 470. It's my "go to" if too open or if we're concerned about getting close enough with my double, and for small stuff and more precise placement where a scope is helpful. If I were relegated to only 1 rifle where stuff that might stomp or eat me resides, it would probably be it for me. It certainly wasn't my most expensive, but it's been great, works on small to large (10lb-1000+), and I can generally get w/in 250 yds or so. As an aside, it's a hoot to shoot with light loads and light bullets for practice and on game back here at home.

458 Scope -e.jpg
20180901_204646e.jpg
20180921_103805.jpg
2018-10-11 13.16.12_1539285502713.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The old Ruger tang safety in .458 was my first big bore. They are slick rifles and I liked mine a lot. I prefer the older tang safety rifles to the newer models. Those barrels are beefy!

I love mine. I've done some work to it but great action, good extractor, like the ability to throw an additional round in quick if needed (doesn't have to pick up from the mag), nice trigger, love the safety (it's like my double), comfortable to shoot, and ridiculously accurate (common 100 yr group below - it's about equally accurate w/ 405 gr light practice loads as 450 gr TSX full loads). I typically bring it with my 470. It's my "go to" if too open or if we're concerned about getting close enough with my double, and for small stuff and more precise placement where a scope is helpful. If I were relegated to only 1 rifle where stuff that might stomp or eat me resides, it would probably be it for me. It certainly wasn't my most expensive, but it's been great, works on small to large (10lb-1000+), and I can generally get w/in 250 yds or so. As an aside, it's a hoot to shoot with light loads and light bullets for practice and on game back here at home.
That looks like a very nice Grysbok, is he a victim of the Ruger M77 .458Win. ?

I had one years ago. There was a second recoi lug that was a piece of metal that hooked around the rear recoil lug and fit in a recess in the forend. I did have an issue with the tang chipping the wood, so I relieved the area and glass bedded the screw areas and the forend. It was very accurate.
Recoil wasn’t as bad as I expected. I should have replaced the recoil pad but never got around to it.

That looks like a very nice Grysbok, is he a victim of the Ruger M77 .458Win. ?
Yes.. was loaded for buff but it presented itself at about 100 yds and the 4-5-8 sealed the deal.

I haven't shot it yet but I have one with really nice wood (the reason I bought it). I'm probably going to put it up sale as I just have way to many big bore rifles to use them all;)

I have had two M77 .458's... they were sturdy and accurate, and like most Ruger rifles, reliable. However, I prefer the 3-Position safety to the tang safety, so I currently shoot an M77 Mark II Stainless .458 WM, and an M77 RSM Mark II .458 Lott.
Thank you! I’ve never seen the stainless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skylinedevelopment

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.