Ruger No. 1

It's not clear to me whether it was refinished...I think not. It is definitely a satin finish.View attachment 541225View attachment 541227

I tend to agree, either not refinished or refinished poorly with tru-oil or other gloppy polymerized finish.

The wood under that stain is FAR better than the pictures reveal. If you have patience (skill not required, just patience) you could turn that into a XX masterpiece. Lift the stain. Sand residue at 800 grit (you can't remove anything). Use a border checkering file to square the border grain (slow and you can't mess this up) and then apply a coat of BLO, then lay up and card off an oil finish, 5-8 coats, even of timberluxe, and that grainfill will pop. Its the nicest factory stock I've ever seen on a #1.

@rookhawk, @kevin Peacock

Thanks for the interesting comments.

The rifle appeared to be unfired when I purchased it a few weeks ago. I had decided not to buy another...and found this one.

Oh well...this is the first light sporter I've owned.

@rookhawk

I agree those refinish suggestions are spot on and will research how to accomplish them.
Hopefully it will somewhat match the finish on my R8 Yaeger.
Resized_20201105_122707_75512661871297.jpg

You are right, the install is a pain but the result is fantastic. I had one go smooth and one ended up having to go to Jard. Both came out great in the end.
You guys must have bad luck with triggers. I have owned many No.1's and get along with their factory triggers just fine, always seem to weigh around 3 # or so, which is perfect.

About 6 months ago to my good hunting buddy, he found one, paid for it and then couldn't import it for some reason. He was devastated, so seing as I had just got my Heym double I alleviated his pain and let him have my No1. Not all is lost, I have now just bought a brand new one in 30-06 and am in the process of importing that.
Good move for a good friend.
I think the.375 H&H in the Ruger #1 is great balance of cartridge, rifle, shoot ability.

You guys must have bad luck with triggers. I have owned many No.1's and get along with their factory triggers just fine, always seem to weigh around 3 # or so, which is perfect.

I’m kinda picky when it comes to triggers. The No1 comes with a good trigger. I like great triggers.

I’m kinda picky when it comes to triggers. The No1 comes with a good trigger. I like great triggers.
I am also picky on triggers. My 1992 No 1 is a light sporter. The rifle without scope weighs 7lbs 2oz.
The trigger pull was 6lbs 11oz. Absolutely unmanageable.

Swiftly replaced with Jard trigger at 1.5lbs.

I’m looking for a larger bore tropical also
Hope you like recoil! I had one in .450-400 for a time and while it shot very well, it gave me a recoil headache every time I shot it. Sold that for a CZ 550 in .404 Jeffery and shot the same type of loads and nary an issue.
The No.1 just seems to kick harder than other rifles of similar power levels. Ruger could put a better pad on the big bores but dont seem interested in doing so.

Hope you like recoil! I had one in .450-400 for a time and while it shot very well, it gave me a recoil headache every time I shot it. Sold that for a CZ 550 in .404 Jeffery and shot the same type of loads and nary an issue.
The No.1 just seems to kick harder than other rifles of similar power levels. Ruger could put a better pad on the big bores but dont seem interested in doing so.
I wouldn't shoot one for long with a factory pad! Although, I do leave the old red pad on my .375 H&H because it trains me to handle significant recoil. May as well have a brass, crescent butt on the rifle for the little that the red pad does. 300 gr. loads and that sub 8 lbs rifle hits me like I owe it money!

I have owned Ruger no. 1 rifles in many calibers, and currently have them in 6mm Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7x57, 30-06, 300 H&H 375 H&H, 450/400, and 458. I’ve owned the 300, 7x57 and 450/400 for about 15 years. I recently sold a 416 Rigby that I shot for a bit. I found it to be a bit much in the no. 1 platform. I have hunted with them twice in Africa and once in New Zealand. I do not find a single shot to be a hindrance in hunting. I like the simplicity of the rifles, and the assurance with knowing if it is fully loaded or unloaded. The safety mechanism is unbeatable. Of course they are incredibly strong. The extractors do not have any camming ability so keep that in mind with hot hand loads. Therefore, my favorites are in calibers that can achieve the desired velocity with reasonable pressures. Long range shooting is seldom needed in Africa, except perhaps in a desert environment like the Kalahari for gemsbok. I have personally not hunted in that environment, but don’t doubt the ability of the 300 H&H to do reasonable long range shooting. Taking them on an African hunt enhances my enjoyment of the experience. I have, and would again hunt dangerous game with them. My favorites are those in the classic calibers, which befit the rifle. They have generally been quite accurate, although they can be finicky. The 458 is a lot of fun loaded down. I have handloaded black powder in the 450/400. Lots of fun there. I do not find the 450/400 to have excessive recoil if 400 grain loads are kept below about 2100 ft./s.

Last edited:
My brother in law has a Ruger No. 1 in .458 Win Mag, I think he‘s looking to sell it. Gorgeous gun

I cant magine a No.1 .458 with full house loads! Recoil must be brutal.:eek:

I’ve been looking for a number one tropical and ran into this Uberti Courtney in .303
So grabbed it for $900. It’s a beautiful rifle. We shall see how she shoots this weekend.
The Pedersoli in 9.3x74R was next to it. So it came home also.
Still looking for the right number 1 also

70957475612__D0832AF3-B00E-4588-84C8-28299D964198.jpeg
IMG_0549.jpeg
70957429675__7C45A3FF-1CA1-44E6-9E0A-CDFC19C26911.jpeg
IMG_0546.jpeg
IMG_0545.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good price. I'm also looking for a stainless tropical in .416R, but it's like finding hen's teeth. In the interim, I'm pretty jacked, I just got my Cecil Fedi wood finished from tree bone for a stainless .375 project. My wife had to send me pics as I'm in SA on safari until August. Want to get it to my gunsmith so bad It's killing me......
image000000(27).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AveryOox04

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani