this is one that always makes me shake my head in wonder...

I am reasonably decent at "primitive" fire.. whether its using a lens, a bow drill, or something like a magnesium rod, I can typically get a fire going as long as I've got access to some dry materials..

but.. I still have lighters stashed away EVERYWHERE.... there are at least 2 lighters in my truck, 2 lighters in my hunting pack, 2 lighters in my fishing tackle box, 2 lighters in my emergency "oh shit" bag, etc..etc.. at all times.. and Ive probably got a dozen lighters in my house between junk drawers, desk drawers, bedside table drawers, etc.. in addition to emergency candles and fire starting materials being stashed in packs (typically I just use a combination of dryer lint and petroleum jelly)..

most people I know couldnt get a fire going if you handed them a jar full of dry wood shavings and a box of matches...

but they also dont keep a lighter in their day pack when out in the woods in sub freezing temps?????

I simply dont understand..

Some simple things I do to help me out when I camp.
Bug Spray. Seriously. Unless your camping in Winter time, Bugs get everywhere. This will help you ignore them and enjoy the Outdoors.

I tend to use the Trunk of a vehicle to store food and trash in. Helps cut down the risk of Unwanted Critters invading your camp.

Doesn't hurt to have extra stuff. As long as you don't overburden yourself. I always have extra batteries for Flashlights, extra water, and extra socks when I do any kind of Hiking or Camping. I just like to be prepared.

bow.jpg

this is one that always makes me shake my head in wonder...

I am reasonably decent at "primitive" fire.. whether its using a lens, a bow drill, or something like a magnesium rod, I can typically get a fire going as long as I've got access to some dry materials..

but.. I still have lighters stashed away EVERYWHERE.... there are at least 2 lighters in my truck, 2 lighters in my hunting pack, 2 lighters in my fishing tackle box, 2 lighters in my emergency "oh shit" bag, etc..etc.. at all times.. and Ive probably got a dozen lighters in my house between junk drawers, desk drawers, bedside table drawers, etc.. in addition to emergency candles and fire starting materials being stashed in packs (typically I just use a combination of dryer lint and petroleum jelly)..

most people I know couldnt get a fire going if you handed them a jar full of dry wood shavings and a box of matches...

but they also dont keep a lighter in their day pack when out in the woods in sub freezing temps?????

I simply dont understand..
Why do you carry so many lighters? Beacuse you know how hard it is to start a primitive fire in ideal conditions you never want to do it in poor or bad conditions so you carry lighters. You probably have a few ferro rods in you pack as well just to back-up your lighters.

I recommend wrapping 1" wide gorllia tape around your lighters, that way you will always have high quality tinder on hand if you need it.

Most people have no idea how hard it is to start a fire and therefore aren't prepaired to start one when the time comes. Shame on them.

Why do you carry so many lighters? Beacuse you know how hard it is to start a primitive fire in ideal conditions you never want to do it in poor or bad conditions so you carry lighters. You probably have a few ferro rods in you pack as well just to back-up your lighters.

I recommend wrapping 1" wide gorllia tape around your lighters, that way you will always have high quality tinder on hand if you need it.

Most people have no idea how hard it is to start a fire and therefore aren't prepaired to start one when the time comes. Shame on them.
exactly.

I know how to start primitive fire.. and am pretty good at it (reasonably well practiced, and have been doing it since I was a kid)... and even I know the value in having a $0.99 disposable butane lighter with me..

its cheap, lightweight, small, etc.. and unless you are in the absolute worst of possible conditions, reliable..

I also adhere to the practice of "one is none.. and two is one..."... meaning plan for the worst case scenario.. if you limit yourself to one lighter, sure as hell Murphy will swing by and screw up your plans.. that lighter will be defective, have a leak, or something else will have gone wrong..

Maybe Im different than most? but I use a lighter pretty much every day of my life.. whether its burning a piece of para cord, lighting a candle, lighting a fire in my fireplace or in an outdoor fire pit, etc... I dont keep one in my pocket (its not part of my EDC line up), but there is always one handy (in the truck, in a nearby pack, in my UTV, in a desk drawer, etc).. theyre way too affordable, small, etc.. not to...

Absolutely nothing beats the good old road flare for starting a fire when you really need a fire. They carry easily in your day pack & really work. I have used them at auto accidents in pouring down rain they strike easily, provide very hot flame, & last about 30 min.
Are they primative and look like a woodsman's tool? No, but they'll save your bacon in nasty weather. I carry them always.

Absolutely nothing beats the good old road flare for starting a fire when you really need a fire. They carry easily in your day pack & really work. I have used them at auto accidents in pouring down rain they strike easily, provide very hot flame, & last about 30 min.
Are they primative and look like a woodsman's tool? No, but they'll save your bacon in nasty weather. I carry them always.
That road flare will light ANYTHING! I never had thought of that before. Great choice.

If you can find any old film containers, stuff them with cotton balls coated in vaseline. They burn hot and will light even semi wet wood. I have some in zip lock bags in my backpack because I couldn't find the film containers. I also carry several Bic lighters and magnesium sticks in various compartments within my backpack. As one of my father in law's buddies told his son, if you're truly lost, light the forest on fire and they WILL find you. LOL

If you can find any old film containers, stuff them with cotton balls coated in vaseline. They burn hot and will light even semi wet wood. I have some in zip lock bags in my backpack because I couldn't find the film containers

That’s exactly what I took to Kodiak Alaska … a ziplock with a couple of dozen cotton balls soaked in Vaseline…

We got rained and snowed on literally every day we were there…

And had a nice little fire on the beach each evening while we waited to be picked up by our guide in his boat..

Now I mostly just use dryer lint… works exactly the same, but is free :)

A week or so before I go on a trip where I think I’ll be out in bush for a period of time, I just collect the lint from the trap on the dryer each day and stuff it in a ziplock.. then add in some Vaseline before I travel…

In addition to many other things, I carry some cotton balls, petroleum jelly and a disposable lighter (waterproof matches too, but the lighter is easy.) They make starting a fire easy.

I also carry a small trauma kit on my person all the time - tourniquet, some gauze, tampons, gloves.

If you can find any old film containers, stuff them with cotton balls coated in vaseline. They burn hot and will light even semi wet wood. I have some in zip lock bags in my backpack because I couldn't find the film containers. I also carry several Bic lighters and magnesium sticks in various compartments within my backpack. As one of my father in law's buddies told his son, if you're truly lost, light the forest on fire and they WILL find you. LOL
I carry cotton balls in ziplock as well. I've also found that Bic lighters are pretty reliable - still carry matches as a backup, though.

one stick fire.jpg
428712164_385617224405672_8030414419056181893_n.jpg

Fire!
Chemical
Solar
Friction [Ferro-rod]

434463126_1194722105021423_6056169328122386400_n.jpg
434072841_1194722298354737_5534010315627643594_n.jpg
434012709_1194722318354735_9039191112438656947_n.jpg
Untitled.jpg

Don't forget, if you are carrying a firearm and obviously ammunition with you in the bush or forest, you have a ready made kindling "booster" with the powder inside the cartridge cases. The powder would still have to be lit though but might make it easier to start damp stuff. Another reason to carry a stout knife capable of penetrating the brass cartridge case(s) to release the powder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix19312

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.