Rifle Actions (Ranked)

Randy Bo

AH veteran
Reaction score
I have been following and really enjoying the recent thread: “thats why I dont like doubles (have one)”.
One of the subjects that is heavily debated within this thread is: double rifle vs bolt action.
So, I would love to see how you guys and gals would rank the different rifle actions based on three criteria: strength, durability and reliability.
My list, based on very rifles owned, would look something like this:
1. Winchester Model 70
2. Remington Model 700
3. Colt AR-15

I prefer CRF over push feed. Both my go-to hunting rifles are dolled up WWII era military rifles. Have never owned a push feed rifle and am sure I never will. The only real advantage to them is they are cheaper to make and therefore cheaper to sell/buy. Lots of disadvantages. "Modern Sporting Rifles" (aka ARs) do not charm me ... at all. I had enough of that crap in the Army.

From my personal rifles ......

Blaser R8
Blaser S2
Mannlicher Schonauer
Quality Mauser actioned rifles by Rigby, Westley Richards, etc and quality custom builds using the same actions.
Pre-64 Model 70
Any quality Anson & Deeley boxlock double.
Model 52 Winchester

Thats a can of worms…but I’ll bite

Any Mauser 98 or modern copy that was machined from a solid billet. After that, then the same cast variations, m70, M77, etc…
I’ll second the Anson and Deeley boxlock
Also the Purdey/Beesley sidelock
Billet M700 actions or the like are robust

Pre war mauser magnum action sold but not built by Rigby.

Hunting (Bolt Action):

1) Granite Mountain Arms African Magnum Mauser
2) BRNO ZKK-602
3) Pre '64 Winchester Model 70
4) Pattern 14 Enfield

Hunting (Double):

1) Heym Model 89B boxlock
2) Auguste Francotte boxlock
3) Webley & Scott PHV-1 boxlock
4) Butch Searcy CNC machined boxlock

Tactical:
1) AK-47
2) FN FAL
3) SKS
4) M-1 Garand

Last edited:
Mauser 98, Mannlicher Schonauer, Ruger No1, Anson &Deeley.
not necessarily in that order but I do own 3 98 actioned rifles.

For an African big game rifle Granite Mountain Arms is hard to beat. Also love a pre 64 model 70. If more modern is your thing the model 704 by Ed Brown is built really right….i think Bansner bought the design and is building them now.

The question almost requires a mixture of apples and oranges. Doubles are designed for a specific purpose. Bolt actions are more versatile. But here are my humble opinions:
Bolt Actions: Damn near any rifle with a Mauser 98, then the more affordable American copy, i.e. the Model 70--and I don't discriminate between pre-64 and current model. I own both and both are awesome production versions of the Mauser 98.
Doubles: Here it's a bit harder--do you swear by sidelock, London Best such as a Holland & Holland, Westley Richards, etc. when money is no object? Or is a boxlock that the working man can afford, like a Heym or Chapuis more your taste? I'm a well known Chapuis fan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manojsharma

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)