Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Republic of CongoNamibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
This first part is preparations. I’ll write about the hunt as it progresses.
Last Feb I was looking at hunt reports on the other network. Christophe Morieo had some pictures up of some great Bongo and Forest Sitatunga. Been wanting a Sitatunga for 5 yrs so I sent him a message. Upshot was they had 1 slot left for this year. I decided to book for July.
I made arrangements for flight’s and got my visa squared away. I learned something interesting. There is a republic of Congo and a Democratic Republic of Congo. For some reason it was $600 cheaper to fly into the DRC. We are hunting in the RC so that’s where you fly. The airports are only like 12 miles apart.
I had my left hip replaced last Jan. When the right one started acting up I made an appointment. Decided to have the surgery after the hunt.
In June I got a text message from Christophe asking if I’d be able to postpone my hunt. He said that elephant poachers were causing problems in their hunting area. I try to follow my PH’s advice so I agreed. When dates were suggested I agreed to Sept into Oct. 2023. I hoped for enough time to get the hip done before the hunt but circumstances beyond my control didn’t allow that to happen.
I drove the 6 hrs to Denver on Friday the 15th. Got to the airport early on the 16th. When my luggage couldn’t be checked all the way I discovered that I’m an idiot. My first flight was to Washington DC. The 2nd to Addis Abba. The 3rd was Addis to Brazzaville. The issue was I arrived in DC at 7:20 pm but the next flight was 15 hours later at 10:30 am and not the PM I had thought.
I texted my buddy @LivingTheDream and upshot was he kindly picked me up and I got a good nights sleep at his place. Got to check out the progress on his trophy room. Pretty impressive!
Flight went fine. At over 13 hrs it’s awful long. No rifle transfer as Christophe wanted me to use the camp rifle. Apparently it’s a pain to get a firearm into the RC.
The Addis airport is a disaster. They need to double its size. On arrival you get off and are transported by bus to the terminal. Go through security and the head to international departures. The departures area was a zoo. Here’s a picture from my place in line
IMG_3072.jpeg

There was another 1/3 of the building behind me just as packed.
Get on a bus and head to the plane. 4 more hours and I’ve made it to Brazzaville. Customs wasn’t too bad. Congo forest safari’s has a couple of people there to run you through the VIP area. Worked just fine. Then a cab ride to the hotel.
I’m at the hotel Hippocampe. With the date change I got her 1 1/2 days prior to transport to camp. The extra day has been nice to rest the hip. Not many English speakers here tho! The menu is in French. Never exactly sure what I’m ordering off of the menu although Google helps a lot. Food is decent. Was not impressed with the food from Ethiopian air tho.
4 meals and 2 night’s stay is $250. Clean room. AC and a decent shower. Bring your own shampoo tho. Restaurant has 2 sides that are simply poles every 2 feet. So open air. Bar at one end and a TV at the other. All in all a nice place. Don’t take credit cards so bring cash.
Tomorrow I’m being picked up at 5 AM. The driver will take me either to camp or to meet Christophe near camp. If flights were regular I’d of flown into Quesso. Brazzaville is in the SW part of the country and Quesso is in the NE. 12 hour drive across a good share of the Republic of this Congo. Should be an interesting day. Internet is ok but I’ll post a couple more pics in the next post with a couple of game camera pics.
Bruce

Because of the poaching issue the decision was made to open a new area. They have made some roads and created some new salt licks. Anytime you’re in a new cam it can go really good or really bad. We’ll see how it goes.
f87b1ba2-dba0-4a1a-bca6-e7d46f4e65df.jpeg
dc22b678-d81a-42ee-bebb-0d1b3f2b3529.jpeg

Couple of pics sent by Christophe.

*Your title would've made an excellent Jethro Tull song. ;)

This is sounding like a wonderful adventure has started! Looking forward to the updates!

This first part is preparations. I’ll write about the hunt as it progresses.
Last Feb I was looking at hunt reports on the other network. Christophe Morieo had some pictures up of some great Bongo and Forest Sitatunga. Been wanting a Sitatunga for 5 yrs so I sent him a message. Upshot was they had 1 slot left for this year. I decided to book for July.
I made arrangements for flight’s and got my visa squared away. I learned something interesting. There is a republic of Congo and a Democratic Republic of Congo. For some reason it was $600 cheaper to fly into the DRC. We are hunting in the RC so that’s where you fly. The airports are only like 12 miles apart.
I had my left hip replaced last Jan. When the right one started acting up I made an appointment. Decided to have the surgery after the hunt.
In June I got a text message from Christophe asking if I’d be able to postpone my hunt. He said that elephant poachers were causing problems in their hunting area. I try to follow my PH’s advice so I agreed. When dates were suggested I agreed to Sept into Oct. 2023. I hoped for enough time to get the hip done before the hunt but circumstances beyond my control didn’t allow that to happen.
I drove the 6 hrs to Denver on Friday the 15th. Got to the airport early on the 16th. When my luggage couldn’t be checked all the way I discovered that I’m an idiot. My first flight was to Washington DC. The 2nd to Addis Abba. The 3rd was Addis to Brazzaville. The issue was I arrived in DC at 7:20 pm but the next flight was 15 hours later at 10:30 am and not the PM I had thought.
I texted my buddy @LivingTheDream and upshot was he kindly picked me up and I got a good nights sleep at his place. Got to check out the progress on his trophy room. Pretty impressive!
Flight went fine. At over 13 hrs it’s awful long. No rifle transfer as Christophe wanted me to use the camp rifle. Apparently it’s a pain to get a firearm into the RC.
The Addis airport is a disaster. They need to double its size. On arrival you get off and are transported by bus to the terminal. Go through security and the head to international departures. The departures area was a zoo. Here’s a picture from my place in line
View attachment 558517
There was another 1/3 of the building behind me just as packed.
Get on a bus and head to the plane. 4 more hours and I’ve made it to Brazzaville. Customs wasn’t too bad. Congo forest safari’s has a couple of people there to run you through the VIP area. Worked just fine. Then a cab ride to the hotel.
I’m at the hotel Hippocampe. With the date change I got her 1 1/2 days prior to transport to camp. The extra day has been nice to rest the hip. Not many English speakers here tho! The menu is in French. Never exactly sure what I’m ordering off of the menu although Google helps a lot. Food is decent. Was not impressed with the food from Ethiopian air tho.
4 meals and 2 night’s stay is $250. Clean room. AC and a decent shower. Bring your own shampoo tho. Restaurant has 2 sides that are simply poles every 2 feet. So open air. Bar at one end and a TV at the other. All in all a nice place. Don’t take credit cards so bring cash.
Tomorrow I’m being picked up at 5 AM. The driver will take me either to camp or to meet Christophe near camp. If flights were regular I’d of flown into Quesso. Brazzaville is in the SW part of the country and Quesso is in the NE. 12 hour drive across a good share of the Republic of this Congo. Should be an interesting day. Internet is ok but I’ll post a couple more pics in the next post with a couple of game camera pics.
Bruce

Popcorn is popping! Waiting for the continuation of this Congo Adventure. Good Luck and shoot straight.

HH

Bruce on high adventure! Expect to see lots of sweat soaked shirts and amazing animals.

WOW this is Awesome ! Thank You for taking us along

Well, that’s alright by me, yeah
I'm a tiger when I want love
I'm a snake when we disagree

If ya gotta ask, just keep moving. Nothin’ to see here folks. Nuthin’ to see.

What an adventure you are on. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us. Hope you get all your hoping out of this safari.Certainly looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip. Stay safe and shoot straight.

Have a great experience.

I have a nagging suspicion we may not hear anything else until he is on the way out. Hope he brought a sat phone.

Be safe and shoot straight. We don't want to hear of any Bungle in the Jungle!!! Merry Christmas or Happy TG (for when you re-acclimate to the world).

Have the time of your life. Looking forward to your updates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharing246

Latest profile posts

Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek