Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Saskatchewan, South Africa, Zimbabwe, 33 US states and counting
Who has used this service and can you share photos and anything you learned from doing it? I'm considering that as an option for a hunt next month as it could take a long time to get ivory imported. Who would you recommend for making these? I will be hunting in Zim.

Easiest and somewhat economical option, at least for me was Mckenzie. I believe they have 3 or 4 size options. My taxidermist then stripped them of the finish they came with and painted them to look like mine from the field pictures. The bases also came from Mckenzie and look good and are sturdy!

Any photos of them compared to the originals? Did you like how they turned out? I like the idea of them being weighted similar to the originals.

I had the Wildlife Gallery do a replica of a tusk from a problem elephant. I gave them exact measurements and they did a good job. The thing I don’t like it is carved or molded from styrofoam and weigh next to nothing. I would be interested in hearing about an appropriate weight reproduction being offered somewhere that I could get.

Here is a picture of mine.

3061E683-9991-4F5D-A29F-FDC011E2F0DC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I'm torn between wall displays and floor/pedestal displays. My walls are also covered with waterfowl like yours! I'm just a few species shy of the 41 total in North America.

Interesting. I'm torn between wall displays and floor/pedestal displays. My walls are also covered with waterfowl like yours! I'm just a few species shy of the 41 total in North America.
I’m short Barrow’s goldeneye, king eider and fulvous whistling duck, don’t know if I ever try for the king or barrows but always a chance for a fulvous down here on the gulf coast.

I spoke with Kanati taxidermy two weeks ago about this for our ele hunt next year. I felt for the quality the price was reasonable. They will also weight them properly as well. They requested to take all the pictures we can, as well as several measurments.
I will be using them if all goes well.

That looks good. Are they weighted and who did the work?
They are just foam/fiberglass outer shells cast of actual tusks. I had a local guy in NC I've used for 15 years do the work.

I saw a documentary years ago about ivory trafficking and they had a taxidermist somewhere in the northeast make some replica tusks that they put micro chips in for tracking purposes. They were so life like that they even fooled Tanzania customs officers ( I think ). Not sure if they named the taxidermist or not but if they did I wish I could remember who did the work.

Who has used this service and can you share photos and anything you learned from doing it? I'm considering that as an option for a hunt next month as it could take a long time to get ivory imported. Who would you recommend for making these? I will be hunting in Zim.

You want Collette's in Bulawayo to do them. They take possession of the real ivory, make a flawless reverse casting with the serial numbers and dates even retained, then they hand paint them to perfectly match the patina of the real ivory. Runs about $600 as a wall hanger version, I think about $1000 on pedestals.

Best part, you can just walk them through the airport if you pick them up in Zim at a later date, rather than paying a fortune in shipping. (probably cheaper to go on a second safari than to pay international freight these days)

You want Collette's in Bulawayo to do them. They take possession of the real ivory, make a flawless reverse casting with the serial numbers and dates even retained, then they hand paint them to perfectly match the patina of the real ivory. Runs about $600 as a wall hanger version, I think about $1000 on pedestals.

Best part, you can just walk them through the airport if you pick them up in Zim at a later date, rather than paying a fortune in shipping. (probably cheaper to go on a second safari than to pay international freight these days)
Any experience with TCI? I'm hunting a (potentially) exportable bull in the Fall but still want to have replicas made (just in case). I probably need to open another thread on getting the ivory back. Thanks

Any experience with TCI? I'm hunting a (potentially) exportable bull in the Fall but still want to have replicas made (just in case). I probably need to open another thread on getting the ivory back. Thanks

I have used TCI once. I've deeply regretted it. Nearly 5-figures in taxidermy done to a low standard. Many with defects that should not have warranted delivery. (hair slip, they just did it and charged me for it anyway)

Collette's is first class and Vince Pegg, their manager is A+.

I have used TCI once. I've deeply regretted it. Nearly 5-figures in taxidermy done to a low standard. Many with defects that should not have warranted delivery. (hair slip, they just did it and charged me for it anyway)

Collette's is first class and Vince Pegg, their manager is A+.
Thank-you

I have ivory at Collete’s right now. I’m doing very similar replicas to Rookhawk’s , but using black leather in lieu of copper. Collette’s will also hold your ivory indefinitely ( as of this time). I have had good luck with Cuan at TCI in the past, but they are limiting time that they will hold ivory right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JunkoCarve

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!