Replacement foam

Hunt anything

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
I’m in the need to find some replacement foam for a 2 rifle gun case. I bought it at Bass Pro Shop, the foam in it is cut out to fit my rifle but my daughter is going with me to RSA next year and she is dead set on using her .308. But I want to take my relatively new .338 win mag. Does anyone know where I can get some foam? Thanks in advance.

I get rid of foam and replace it with reusable system taking the form of you gear by removing the air inside. Pretty happy with it.

Does your gun case have two or three pieces of foam in it currently? Pelican cases have 3 pieces or sheets of foam. The center piece gets cut to fit the rifles. The other two are the top and bottom, protective layer that stays whole.

A good tip, and economical is to go to Walmart and but a cheap memory foam mattress pad of equivalent thickness to the foam in you gun case. Use the memory foam for the top and bottom protective layers. This frees up the original top and bottom layers, so that you can custom cut those for different rifles.

Yes it has 3 layers, I wasn’t clear. I want a center piece to customize for her .308 and my .338. Looks like plenty of options out there I’ll start looking around.
Thanks everyone!

Amazon had what I needed to replace foam in 2 rifle a one pistol case

I have ordered foam from an outfit in New Jersey. I'll see if I can dig up an invoice. Contact your local upholstery shop. I'm sure they can give you some leads.

Yes it has 3 layers, I wasn’t clear. I want a center piece to customize for her .308 and my .338. Looks like plenty of options out there I’ll start looking around.
Thanks everyone!
I think what .375Ruger was suggesting is to buy a memory foam mattress and use it as your top and bottom layer. That would give you the top and bottom you have currently to cut up and use as the middle layer. I think that is a great idea and will be trying that myself.

If you know the model number (or equivalent model) from the actual manufacturer, you should be able to find the foam on eBay or from the manufacturer's website. I know that Pelican for example, offer replacement foam for their cases. Shipping can become expensive though.

Or you might consider not using foam for the middle layer at all. Just place the two rifles into their own soft cases instead of using the middle foam layer. You're going to be needing the soft cases in the safari vehicle anyway, right? ;)

I would look up the case manufacturer (google with model #) and see if you can purchase replacement foam. I know Pelican sells replacement foam for their cases...

Magpul has a new concept with moveable rubber blocks so that your case can be configured and the reconfigured for different rifles without having to replace foam…

It’s spendy.. but it’s a one and done cost.. and they not only make their own case with the block inserts.. but also make block sets specifically for pelican cases and a few others..

A buddy of mine just bought a magpul case a few weeks ago… I’m letting him test run it for a little while and then will make a decision about replacing the foam in one of my pelicans with magpul blocks if it all works well for him..

I guess it's worth repeating that the best way to cut foam for cases is use an electric knife for cutting roasts, etc.

Here's a couple of gun cases I built with foam ordered from New Jersey. That outfit sells any size or thickness. I cut it to fit the guns.
Citori case 1.JPG
gun case new foam2.JPG

Instead of buying the expense stuff from the manufacturer like pelican we found some at Joann’s Fabric. Worked great, I just had to cut it down to size. I was able to get the same type of foam from them. It cost like 30 bucks compared to like 150 from pelican

2nd Cobra foam. They have exact replacement fit and you can get closed cell or open. I bought a few for my Pelican 1750 and just change the bottom foam for the gun I am traveling with. Chalk around the gun and cut with the electric knife inside the line.....perfect snug fit!.

Magpul has a new concept with moveable rubber blocks so that your case can be configured and the reconfigured for different rifles without having to replace foam…

It’s spendy.. but it’s a one and done cost.. and they not only make their own case with the block inserts.. but also make block sets specifically for pelican cases and a few others..

A buddy of mine just bought a magpul case a few weeks ago… I’m letting him test run it for a little while and then will make a decision about replacing the foam in one of my pelicans with magpul blocks if it all works well for him..

intriguing.
thx for posting

decent video showing how the magpul system works.. (using a pelican vault)

It's intuitively obvious that this system is more flexible, modular, and robust than foam.
I was on the cusp of buying a Pelican 1700. Now I just need to decide pelican or magpul outer case but I'm certainly going with the internal magpul system of blocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DulcieSchi

Latest profile posts

Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair