Would you mind sharing your load data you came up with for the 300 grain barnes?
Thanks
I know that there are those who believe we should not share load data but I will just say you should build your own load starting from manufacturer minimum load data.

My .375 H&H Mag load that I developed was as follows:

Magnum primer
75.0 gn Ramshot Big Game powder
300gn Barnes TSX Bullet
90.5mm OAL
Lee Factory Crimp Die used

This load gave me 2,560 fps in my Blaser R8 barrel. Barnes factory ammo states 2,540, it achieved 2,435 in my gun. Max load listed was 78.4gn of powder, I don’t believe you could cram that in the case 75.0 gn was already slightly compressed.

My loaded ammunition shot to the same point of impact as the factory ammunition. Good luck to you.

My old 30-06 (18 inch barrel on a mauser action) carbine liked the 200 grain Speers with 54.3 grains of IMR 4350. I also used the 200 grain Nosler partitions but had to back of a little on powder to make them fly right.

My CZ-550 Mannlicher style rifle (20 inch) liked the old Hornady 220 grain soft nose with 52 grains of IMR 4350 and a magnum primer.

I had some 250 grain Barnes solids that somebody gave me. My rifles did not care for them much. I should try some in my lightweight mountain rifle. Maybe it will love them.

For a stopping round it only has to be accurate out to 50 yards.

I also use the 220 grain round nose for my old Winchester 1895 chambered in 30-40 Krag. I load em to around 2,050 fps. Maybe I should see if those 250 grain jobs work in there, I only have a few more.

My old 30-06 (18 inch barrel on a mauser action) carbine liked the 200 grain Speers with 54.3 grains of IMR 4350. I also used the 200 grain Nosler partitions but had to back of a little on powder to make them fly right.

My CZ-550 Mannlicher style rifle (20 inch) liked the old Hornady 220 grain soft nose with 52 grains of IMR 4350 and a magnum primer.

I had some 250 grain Barnes solids that somebody gave me. My rifles did not care for them much. I should try some in my lightweight mountain rifle. Maybe it will love them.

For a stopping round it only has to be accurate out to 50 yards.

I also use the 220 grain round nose for my old Winchester 1895 chambered in 30-40 Krag. I load em to around 2,050 fps. Maybe I should see if those 250 grain jobs work in there, I only have a few more.
Have you used or planning to use your 30-06 for DG ? Not questioning but trying to understand on its potency against Big 5

I know that there are those who believe we should not share load data but I will just say you should build your own load starting from manufacturer minimum load data.

My .375 H&H Mag load that I developed was as follows:

Magnum primer
75.0 gn Ramshot Big Game powder
300gn Barnes TSX Bullet
90.5mm OAL
Lee Factory Crimp Die used

This load gave me 2,560 fps in my Blaser R8 barrel. Barnes factory ammo states 2,540, it achieved 2,435 in my gun. Max load listed was 78.4gn of powder, I don’t believe you could cram that in the case 75.0 gn was already slightly compressed.

My loaded ammunition shot to the same point of impact as the factory ammunition. Good luck to you.
I have zero problem sharing load data and do so all of the time. If you notice my posts I always put a disclaimer that all of us use. This forum is very helpful in that area and I would hate to see that hindered

I have zero problem sharing load data and do so all of the time. If you notice my posts I always put a disclaimer that all of us use. This forum is very helpful in that area and I would hate to see that hindered
Agreed, very useful information here shared by some with a lot of experience.

As a rule I share load data within reloading manual specs.

Raising a question about reloading for dangerous game rather than derail another thread about reloading for dangerous game.

I have not reloaded for dangerous game but believe I would if I were to plan some form of dangerous game hunt.

I have my .375H&H that I plan to keep in case I decide to hunt some form of DG.

I have always thought I will reload for a DG hunt if it eventuates. I have components including Woodleigh projectiles and a new set of dies still in shrink wrap.

Ive only fired PPU factory ammo through it and have one pack of Hornady Dangerous Game ammo I picked up in a small back street gun shop.

I enjoy reloading and thought in part the idea is to have a hand in quality control and component selection.

I saw @Philip Glass posted a comment recommending against reloading for dangerous game. He is far more experienced than me so it seems like a good question to ask.

In general I'm just looking for people thoughts, experiences, reasoning or justification to choose reloads or factory loads for dangerous game and any stories they have that might have.
For many years I have only used my own hand loaded ammunition for rifle hunting. That includes a cape buffalo hunt in 2022. If you know what you are doing, and are very careful with each step, I can see no advantage to using factory loads. The buffalo died with a single shot, but before that I had fired many rounds through my .458 WM and cycled all of the loaded ammunition that I would take through the rifle several times. Dangerous game is no place to take chances. It is my opinion that carefully hand loaded ammunition is superior to what you buy off the shelf. In the 50 plus years that I have hunted I have only had a very few ammo failures and they were factory loads.
Successfully taking an animal with loads that I have made also gives me an additional sense of pride.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of PH’s load their own ammo used to backup clients.
Probably not too many. Reloading is not legal in some countries and components are unavailable in most African countries. My PH, and friend, uses a .450 Ackley Magnum for which there are no factory loads. A client brings him ammo that is carefully hand loaded.

Probably not too many. Reloading is not legal in some countries and components are unavailable in most African countries. My PH, and friend, uses a .450 Ackley Magnum for which there are no factory loads. A client brings him ammo that is carefully hand loaded.
In some countries a license is required to reload, as I understand Zimbabwe is one.
PHs have to do problem animal control.(elephant, lion, etc).
A prominent member here organized some supplies ( .458 and .500 bullets) and others so these PHs, can obtain reloaded ammunition, from a friend that has a license.

They don’t have to spend a month wages for 1 box of factory ammo, and can have enough save their hides when dealing with elephants.

The lengths that the PHs go through to have their license and hunt is incredible.
Greatly admired.

In Germany we are only allowed to reload cartridges if we have completed a two-day course and then passed a test. With proof of passing the test successfully you get permission to purchase a certain amount of powder that you must specify in advance. The duration of the permit is 5 years, after it must be applied for again, but then a course and examination are no longer necessary.

I reload all my cartridges and have shot game in Africa, including buffalos and elephants, only with reloaded cartridges. I have never had any problems with it. Exception only for rented rifles. However, I have no choice if I want to train very often with my big bore rifles. The ammunition for some of these is hard to find and very expensive, in one case even no longer manufactured.

Can you share the name of your friend? I will make sure not to hunt with …..just kidding
Just as scary it could be not knowing where the ammo came from or who loaded it the converse is also true.

My gut tells me if you have to ask. You should probably use factory. You might have second thoughts or it's something have either seen, read, had happen, or heard making you second guess yourself. You need to be 100% confident in your abilities.

When hunting ALWAYS use new brass.

ALWAYS cycle ammo new or reloads through your rifle. Better to know now than the moment of truth.

If using factory, check the lot numbers. If they are not the same lot, the different lot MUST be tested.

Like others have said chronograph your ammo. Make sure it is in spec, never take anything for granted.

Have used hand loads and factory with great success. We have more options today than we have ever had. I would not feel lacking with hand loads or factory. I choose hand loads because I'm 100% confident in them. I'm not loading to max, I'm loading for accuracy and consistency.

Someone mentioned weighing each round. That is very sound advice. No matter what type, you will see a discrepancy (70+grs).

But you should not make it more complicated than it already is.

If you have concerns about reloaded cartridges, you should use factory loads, but when you look at the mass production, everything automated, you have also to trust these cartridges. How fast could be a cartridge with the wrong charge or even without it. Everything has already happened, it is a false sense of security.

Can you share the name of your friend? I will make sure not to hunt with …..just kidding
Just as scary it could be not knowing where the ammo came from or who loaded it the converse is also true.
He does know who loads it and the process used. He just can't do it himself.

In Germany we are only allowed to reload cartridges if we have completed a two-day course and then passed a test. With proof of passing the test successfully you get permission to purchase a certain amount of powder that you must specify in advance. The duration of the permit is 5 years, after it must be applied for again, but then a course and examination are no longer necessary.

That actually makes sense.

What is the cost of permit / education process?

But you should not make it more complicated than it already is.

If you have concerns about reloaded cartridges, you should use factory loads, but when you look at the mass production, everything automated, you have also to trust these cartridges. How fast could be a cartridge with the wrong charge or even without it. Everything has already happened, it is a false sense of security.

Logic, defined.

That actually makes sense.

What is the cost of permit / education process?

Can vary greatly depending on which entity organizes this course, for example, shooting associations, hunting associations or gunsmiths. The test is required by law because the permission to purchase powder is subject to the applicable explosives Act in Germany.

On average, the prices for the course are between 150 and 250 euros. Fees for the authorities that issued the permit will be added later.

I use reloads for backing up on DG, cycle every reload a couple of times and shoot allot on the range. This gives you practice, familiarity with your rifle and peace of mind with your reloads...

Raising a question about reloading for dangerous game rather than derail another thread about reloading for dangerous game.

I have not reloaded for dangerous game but believe I would if I were to plan some form of dangerous game hunt.

I have my .375H&H that I plan to keep in case I decide to hunt some form of DG.

I have always thought I will reload for a DG hunt if it eventuates. I have components including Woodleigh projectiles and a new set of dies still in shrink wrap.

Ive only fired PPU factory ammo through it and have one pack of Hornady Dangerous Game ammo I picked up in a small back street gun shop.

I enjoy reloading and thought in part the idea is to have a hand in quality control and component selection.

I saw @Philip Glass posted a comment recommending against reloading for dangerous game. He is far more experienced than me so it seems like a good question to ask.

In general I'm just looking for people thoughts, experiences, reasoning or justification to choose reloads or factory loads for dangerous game and any stories they have that might have.
I only use factory ammo, I am more comfortable when I know my client is using factory ammo. Nothing wrong with reloading the problems arise with the reloader.

Lon

I only use factory ammo, I am more comfortable when I know my client is using factory ammo. Nothing wrong with reloading the problems arise with the reloader.

Lon

Have you had any problems with it ?

I have heard stories from hunters who used factory loads but very old ammunition, among other things an extreme case where only the 4th cartridge fired and that during an elephant hunt by using a big bore double rifle. Maybe old Cordite loaded cartridges were still in use, a very dangerous matter because the opposite can also happen with this sort of cartridges.

Therefore, if you want to do it right and stay on the safe side, you have to check in general the ammunition that the clients bring with them. This is certainly a problem with reloaded cartridges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
solomoha

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.