Red Meat... Best Hunting Vehicle

Unfortunately to be road legal here in Canada ( or the USA I assume ) almost all the really good versions of off - road vehicles like Toyota land cruiser would need to add emissions controls, air bags, etc. so they are banned from import. Custom additions are not of interest to me. I've made do with the next best thing, my Jeep Gladiator truck. Good rugged off-road 4x4 system, not so big and hard to steer in tight spots as my former Dodge and Ford trucks, and can handle our winters with the proper design features that allow it to operate in -40° temperatures when required. it's reasonably comfortable on long multi- day trips too. I like mine.
IMG_4922.jpeg

None of the bigger trucks 150-250 or 350 series makes good hunting vehicles because they are very heavy and not capable of handling steep approach and departure angles.
I own a Ram 2500 , it's a great truck for towing and occasional 4x4 foray but that's it.
If I were to get one for strictly back country, off road, rough terrain I would stick to a Toyota Hilux diesel, Land Cruiser , FJ and such...

70 Series Land Cruiser. Not even close. Until then, my F250 and FJ 40 offer meaningful compensation.

I agree with this, only you can't get a new one in the US.

None of the bigger trucks 150-250 or 350 series makes good hunting vehicles because they are very heavy and not capable of handling steep approach and departure angles.
I own a Ram 2500 , it's a great truck for towing and occasional 4x4 foray but that's it.
If I were to get one for strictly back country, off road, rough terrain I would stick to a Toyota Hilux diesel, Land Cruiser , FJ and such...
I agree mostly. But I take my 2002 Ford F250 7.3 diesel down and then up coming back from a trailhead for a mile over a really nasty 4 wheel drive "trail" when sometimes there's 4" of mud or 6" of snow on the trail. Going down for the first two hundred yards, you just "slide" in the previous tire ruts until you get to the bottom. Haven't hit a tree yet! LOL I only had to chain up once when we got 16" of snow. These guys I hunt with told me they would NEVER take their truck down the trail. LOL. Bunch of damn sissies! That's what a truck is FOR! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Maybe not best, but favorite would be a Land Rover Defender.

Sample size of 1, but I have been driving Range Rovers for probably 25 years now, and can count on one hand the number of times I have had a serious problem. I have also not had a problem with one in the last 10 years.

Then again, I have been driving Jaguars for even longer so I am clearly not one to heed consumer reports.

My hunting vehicles are currently:

A Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 LWB diesel pickup truck
A Toyota Landcruiser FJ60
A Lexus GX 470 (Toyota Landcruiser Prado)

If you had to pick one currently manufactured vehicle to hunt anywhere in the world (that is available to civilians) what would it be?

Toyota Landcruiser?
Toyota HiLux?
Ineos Grenadier?
Anything made by Land Rover?
American Pickup Truck?
Jeep?
@Safari Dave
As I can't afford any of those vehicles I will have to stick with my old Nissan 4X4. Failing that it's the good old Foot Falcon aka two feet and a heart beat aka shanks pony.
Bob

I owned a samurai in 1989.. back when they were popular little “jeeps” that everyone wanted to scoot around town in…

It was an awesome hunting vehicle…

Low cost, low maintenance, and could go anywhere you wanted to go..

A few years later I was on an MTT in Jamaica , training one of their paramilitary police units… they had a handful of samurai that they had converted into light gun trucks.. I hadn’t ever thought about that application prior.. but it was honestly brilliant.. especially for their terrain, roads, etc…

Pic below isn’t the Jamaican ones we worked with.. but almost identical…

View attachment 594781
@mdwest
Ideal set up for a mass pig destroyer.
Bob

Is that a belt fed M-16?
@PARA45
Prior to the M16 a person called Stoner had a system that could be easily converted from mag fed to belt fed very quickly and easily. Very good system but the Army's ordnance board declined it.
It was a far better more reliable system than. The Ar platform.
Bob

Current production anything is in a sad state these days in the USA. All the half-tons are going to V6, I6 options with, God help us, turbos. Not turbo diesels, turbo gas. The Jeep Wranglers are still pretty good offroad but a lot need upgrades to really make them really "offroad ready." At least they still have front straight axles vs. CV's. I think if/when they go to CV's that will be their death.

My daily is a 2019 Ram Rebel with the 5.7. I upgraded to Bilstein 5100's with new UCA's, new sway bar end links, and I run stock size BFG KO2's (the king of AT tires, IMO). It does alright. I have the e-locker in the rear if I get into a jam. Thankfully, I've never had anything too serious to overcome. Even then I don't think it can hold a candle to the diesel Frontiers, HiLux, and LC's.

This was a fun trip to the boat ramp in the middle of winter. Especially in the dark. Oh and that's a 2 way traffic "road."

View attachment 594789
@HookMeUpII
In Australia we call the Nissan Frontier the Navara.
My son has a 2013 model, two inch lift, wild peak AT 33IN tyres and a 2.5kt turbo common rail diesel. In the bush it's a weapon.
Bob

Mahindra S11, best 4x4 value on the market.

I am thinking back to the 1980's when I first wanted to have a career in a southern African country as a small airplane pilot that many of the established trails or roads were rutted to a certain wheelbase, either Toyota or Land Rover but I do not recall. Maybe both? American trucks would therefore have had a more difficult time at it being wider. But I don't know, something to consider. BTW, I have both an F-150 and a Toyota 4 Runner and love them both, and have always envied having a Defender. I am enjoying the X Overland series on You Tube this week which has 3 or 4 Toyotas and show all of the mechanical issues that any vehicle would have on a multi-day overland trip in various southern African countries.
@Spey
You think those roads are tough. In Tasmania we have a track called the thousand dollar track. Watched a you tube video of some Muppets trying to do it in less than 24 hours instead of the usual 3 days.
Sounds fun until you realise the track is only 11 kilometres long. That a bit over 6 miles.
Now that's what you call a bad track. It's rated at double black diamond.
Bob

Unfortunately to be road legal here in Canada ( or the USA I assume ) almost all the really good versions of off - road vehicles like Toyota land cruiser would need to add emissions controls, air bags, etc. so they are banned from import. Custom additions are not of interest to me. I've made do with the next best thing, my Jeep Gladiator truck. Good rugged off-road 4x4 system, not so big and hard to steer in tight spots as my former Dodge and Ford trucks, and can handle our winters with the proper design features that allow it to operate in -40° temperatures when required. it's reasonably comfortable on long multi- day trips too. I like mine. View attachment 595159
@Longwalker
I was once asked if my 4x4 had an air bag
I replied it does today, my mother-in-law is in it. Usually no air bag. Fortunately she and my wife didn't hear me.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.