Red Dot Reflex Sight, Low Power Variable Scope, Or Metallic Sights???

Mark A Ouellette

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Benefactor
Hunted
Limpopo, Kalahari, Zimbabwe, Canada, USA
There is a lot of discussion about using a riflescope on a dangerous game rifle (DGR) for close shooting. The options are instead using metallic sights, or a red dot reflex sight. The following are my observations based on substantial shooting experience and a couple trips to Africa. I am still learning Africa hunting but will share what I've learned about optics.

I have Trijicon SROs and RMR models mounted a third of the way down the barrels of doubles and a bolt action rifle. These are exponentially better than metallic sights for anyone who needs reading glasses. I remember Jack O'Connor writing 50 or 60 years ago that when a man needs reading glasses it's time for him to buy a riflescope. Great advice!

I also have Aimpoint H1s mounted on Accuracy X target 1911's and a Pardini .22 for NRA Precision Pistol competitions. When I compete in the US Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) matches for Service Pistol and International Pistol (.22) I am required to use metallic sights. For those I have shooting glasses made special with my focus on the front sights. The targets are blurry when wearing them. I am actually more "competitive" in CMP metallic sight matches than in NRA any sight matches. Go figure...

I have a lot of experience shooting Trijicon and Aimpoint reflex red dot type sights on pistols and dangerous game rifles. On the rifles, the reflex sights being very much smaller than a riflescope making carrying those rifles easier. I wrap my hand around the center of the action and start walking. Or, balance the rifle over my shoulder with the muzzle pointing to a little bit aft and a lot to the side. The reflex sight is on the other side on my neck. With a scoped rifle, sometimes the scope rubs and bites into my neck over the many miles tracking game.

Okay, I like, shoot, compete, and hunt with quality red dot reflex sights. On a bolt action rifle I prefer an illuminated low power variable optic (LPVO) riflescope with a true 1x at the lowest magnification.
Why you may ask?

1. A riflescope gathers light for a crisp, clear sight picture especially in low light conditions such as dawn, dusk, or in thick brush.

2. The opposite of the above riflescope, a reflex sight must reduce the available light to function. Why? They need a coating on the lens such as the tritium used by Trijicon. The red dot is reflected off the tritium coating to make it viable to the shooter. This reduces the amount (intensity) of light to the entrance pupil of the eye. Think of this as a F-stop on a camera lenses. The higher the number F-stop, the less light entering the camera. In most shooting conditions this doesn't matter. At dawn, dusk, and in thick brush it may, at least it has for me!

3. The illuminated dots within my Leupold, Trijicon, and Nightforce riflescopes have a lot of different intensity settings. They are also ALWAYS well defined perfect dots. My Trijicon reflex sights do have many adjustment setting but their dots are a little fuzzy to my eyes, with or without glasses.
My slightly larger Aimpoint H1s have more well defined red dots than my Trijicons. The H1s, and I assume the newer H2s have accurate elevation and windage adjustments. I would NEVER consider using one my my Trijicons in a Precision Pistol match. Never! Their dots are not as crisp as those in the Aimpoints, and the windage and elevation adjustments are not precise. The miniature reflex sights are great for action pistol competition and for those desiring a reflex sight on a carry gun.
I mounted a Aimpoint on a saddle mount on my Blaser S2 double rifle. It's a great zero to 200 yard setup. I prefer a quick release (QR) scope on this rifle because it is so accurate. The Aimpoint however is small and doesn't weight but a few ounces.

4. The riflescopes have magnification. :) Of course they do! For fine work a 1x to 4x, or 6x, or 8x scope will allow the shooter to increase magnification and make more accurate shots through brush than an unmagnified reflex sight. Also the light defusing coating of tritium on the lenses on reflex sights does not help in these situations. How much magnification one needs is up to them.

Jack O'Connor recommended, before variable scopes were dependable, mounting a 2x or 3x scope on a rifle for an African safari. Back when I was a kid, about 50 years ago, a 4x scope on a .30-06 could in the hands of a good shot, take woodchucks out to 200 yards! That's what we did on summer evenings in Potter County, Pennsylvania. It was good practice! A 1-4X quality riflescope should be sufficient in the hands of a skilled marksman. If you can afford a high quality, higher magnification range scope, then buy once , cry once!

5. Rifle handling is to most experienced shooters feels better without a scope attached to the rifle. This especially true of mounting a scope on a double rifle. The scope adds about 20 ounces or more compared to a reflex sight that adds about 3 ounces. That extra pound my turn your prize London best into a fencepost. The same 3 ounce reflex sight on bolt action DGR for close range will provide better handling characteristics than adding an extra pound or half kilo of riflescope. One has to determine their requirements and select the best option for them.

6. Finally, I prefer quick release (QR) scope mounts. "There's nothing tougher than a Talley" is Talley's tag line. As long as one properly installs Talley or other quality QR rings and carefully reattaches their scope, they will not have problems. Rumors of QR causing problems point to operator error in reattaching the scope. Okay, I admit I did that once when reattaching a scope in my shop... Looking through the scope into the old Bushnell collimator showed a WFT! I looked again and discovered my operator error. It can happen! Practice everything we may do in the field until it becomes ingrained in our subconscious!

I am coming to the realization that I can not use buckhorn style iron sights past 50 yards. Peep sights are much easier for me. Then a red dot. And finally a scope. I may need to bite the bullet and get glasses for shooting Iron sights out to 100 yards.

I just love my Trijicon SRO on my 458 lott shooting competitions or game DG or large ones.
The 1 MOA dot and bigger window gives me more view quick alignment and can shoot at game further out than 100 meters easily.

Mounted on my CZ550 I got a local gunsmith to build me a base wich instert in the flip up sight mount.

IMG-20230609-WA0005.jpg

20230609-114631.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As Mark well know
I use burris fast fire 3 on my blaser R8 416 rem mag
This has stood me in good stead following up with clients
My maon PH at tallyho, also use a burris fast fire and has worked very well for him too

Red dot reflex sights are great!!

Mark you are reading my mind. I am gearing up for a buff hunt in June. My plan is a Trijicon SRO on an EGW HD CZ 550 Picatinny rail. Sound reasonable?
My next decision point is do I mount it on my .505 Gibbs, .458 Lott, or .416 Rigby?
I know all are capable and I shoot them all well plus I have plenty of Soft Points, DGX or Swift A Frame ammo.
Thoughts? Thanks for your input.

I'm seventy-one and somewhat unique in that eyesight in my shooting eye has  improved substantially the last couple of years (however left eye is still pretty much legally blind due to retina detachments). I can see iron sights just fine ... if I look over my prescription lenses. The optometrist needs to change the distance prescription for right eye to clear glass. I always get line style bifocal to keep the reading lens completely out of my distance section when shooting. Graduated bifocal sacrifices too much of overall lens (especially in stylish skinny glasses). I once made the mistake of ordering shooting glasses with no bifocal. Theory seems to make sense but it didn't work.

I don't have a problem shooting running big game with 3x scope anywhere from twelve to seventy yards.

I enjoy shooting irons, red dots and scopes. One of the main reasons I started carrying an R8 was that it allowed me to swap and change whenever I wanted to.

The rifle in the photo is my go to rifle these days. That barrel is in 9.3x62 . The scope is a Zeiss 1.5 to 6. The 30/06 and 308 barrels are also similarly equipped.
IMG_6322.jpeg

Still working on my first medium/large bore rifle, but have and use red dot’s, reflex sights, and LPVO’s. I have astigmatism so I get a red ‘blob’ with Aimpoints and Leupold deltapoints. Not a huge deal, but it is annoying.

I don’t see iron sights well and am more accurate with red dot’s so I’d go with one of those if I wanted the lighter weight. The versatility of a LPVO is hard to beat though in my hands. It is important to consider the weight and balance of the rifle as well for a DG rifle though in my (inexperienced) opinion.

My current thoughts are to put a LPVO on my 375 for versatile use on big game and plains game. Same would go for a 416, but if I was going bigger than that for a dedicated DG rifle I’d go with an Aimpoint H1. My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EulaliaRus

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.