Recommendations on Dangerous Game rifles and ammo haven’t changed much in 30 years

BJH65

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique, B.C. Canada, Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, California, Texas, Oklahoma.
Our first and only African hunt to date was in 1997. Plains game in SA and buffalo, hippo & crocodile in Mozambique after the recent end of their 17 year long civil war. I chose a Winchester M70 Safari Express CRF 416 Rem Mag with Leupold Vari X II 1-4, with factory 400 grain Remington SAF and ASquare 400 grain solids (Barnes). I chose a Winchester M70 All Terrain fwt SS CRF in 300 win mag mounted with a Nikon Monarch 3-9, using 180 grain Winchester Fail Safe for plains game.

My brother chose a Winchester M70 Safari Express CRF 458 Win Mag mounted with with a Leupold Vari X III 1.5-5, using factory ASquare 465 grain solids and dead tough SP. He chose a Rem 700 classic in 350 Rem Mag mounted with a Leupold Vari X III 2.5-8, with custom loaded 250 grain Barnes X bullets, the original before the TSX was invented.

We based our decision on rifles and ammunition on the recommendations made during the mid 90’s. Recommendations were a CRF rifle and back then, Winchester M70 was pretty much it for big bore African calibers. Recommended ammunition for buffalo was a high quality bonded SP like Swift A Frame, TBBC, and Nosler Partition for the first shot with solids for follow up shots.

The SA plains game hunt with PH Dion Cilliers was outstanding. My brother and I took a variety of plains game. I used my M70 Fwt All Terrain SS 300 win mag with 180 Win Fail Safe to kill cape eland, gemsbok, black wildebeest, red Hartebeest, blesbok and springbok. All one shot kills except the gemsbok which I shot too far back and was able to quickly place a second shot into its vitals putting him down for keeps.

The larger animals dropped instantly after the first shot (with the above exception on the gemsbok). The eland, gemsbok on the 2nd shot, black wildebeest and red Hartebeest were dropped instantly. All broadside and all between 80-200 yards. No recovered rounds, every Failsafe round passed through. The two animals that didn’t instantly drop were the smallest, the blesbok and springbok. The blesbok travelled about 35 yards after a lung shot and the tiny springbok we actually had to track, it went about 65 yards into the brush after a lung shot. The fail safe bullet wasn’t really designed for these small animals and all the energy was expended into the countryside after the bullet passed through them. After observing the performance of my 300 win mag with the fail safe bullet, Dion felt it would be adequate for Cape buffalo! Too bad the Failsafe’s were discontinued. My brother has an ample supply of 375 H&H 270 grain Fail safe for our upcoming buffalo hunt. I think they will be perfect!

My brother and I were less than impressed with those early Barnes x bullets, at least those 250 grain custom handloads for his 350 Rem Mag, perhaps the velocity was too low? He shot a zebra perfectly through the lungs and the stallion paused for a moment then rejoined the herd and began feeding on grass! After several more shots he was able to put it down and he did get a recovered bullet from the skinner, perfect classical Barnes X expansion? I’ve subsequently used Barnes TSX with great results. Then he had a running battle with a black wildebeest, it absorbed 7-8 shots into the vitals at 100 yards and took quite awhile to die, yet I shot one with the 180 grain 300 win mag Win Failsafe and it dropped my wildebeest in its tracks it didn’t move an inch!

Interestingly, no shooting sticks were used, I shot from either sitting, using a nearby tree as a convenient rest and one offhand shot.

Then on to Mozambique which really is a story in and of itself. The PH for that Mozambique hunt is no longer around but was well known throughout the 70’s and 90’s. Some of the highlights were being threatened by the Mozambique police with AK47’s pointed at us and discussing a tactical plan with the assistant PH Mark (great guy) on engaging them since neither of us planned on getting executed without a fight!

Hmmm let’s see no working vehicle they broke down, camp staff went on strike and threatened to mutiny, no ability to hunt buffalo, only crocodile and hippo in the Save river, sleeping over overnight in the bush because vehicle broke down again and being so tired I didn’t care about the scorpions crawling on me, just brushed them off and went back to sleep! Also walking 15 miles daily just to hunt croc and hippo. It was a disaster but one helluva an adventure!

Had the AH site existed back then and the internet, all could have been avoided, there were red flags, but we were young and naive. Anyhow, afterwards we were somewhat bitter, and even though I went on several other guided hunts: Alaska for grizzly, BC for mt. Goat and Bob Marshall wilderness pack trip for elk, Africa was all but forgotten, a distance memory.

In regard to all things Africa, it’s as if I stepped out of a Time Machine from 1997 because I have not paid attention to anything regarding African hunting for 27years since then! So fast forward to the present: we’ve booked a Cape buffalo hunt with my brother and nephew for 2026. So with my interest rekindled with African hunting, I’ve noticed not much has changed in regard to recommendations on rifles and ammunition for DG since the mid 90’s, except there are a lot more options for CRF DG rifles. The ammo recommendations are quite similar too except much harder to find currently manufactured SAF and TBBC. The Barnes TSX is much improved over the original Barnes X bullet that had no bands machined and caused bad copper fouling and erratic accuracy with some rifles.

I’m a little surprised that push feed rifles are not more accepted these days and the bullet recommendation have seen little change excepting a few more monolithic copper bullet entries from other companies. Really little has changed regarding rifles and bullets much to my surprise. Of course, in other areas there has been significant change, not all for the better. I did feel a kinship with the South Africans, all during that era served (compulsory) in the SA military or police force and I have both in my background as well. On the flight over, the pilots invited us into the cockpit to talk about hunting!

So for our 2026 buffalo hunt, I will be using a CZ 416 Rigby with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 with Warne QD mounts (yes the scope will be fine for Cape buffalo!) and 400 grain factory Barnes TSX. My brother will be using a Sako Mannlicher carbine 375 H&H with Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 with the aforementioned 270 Win Fail Safe and nephew will be using a Win M70 Safari Express 458 Win Mag mounted with Leupold VX3 1.5-5 using 450 grain Barnes TSX.

Actually, I’m cheating a little, I booked an additional Cape buffalo hunt for this September because I don’t want to wait 2 1/2 years! Just me going on that one.

The hippo I shot in the Save river, Mozambique, Aug 97. Taken with body shots with a 400 grain SAF and a couple Barnes solids as it was partially out of water. No vehicle to tow it out of water. Villagers later descended on the scene and every scrap was removed!

Brendon J

IMG_1551.jpeg
IMG_1552.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Your Mozambique hunt sounds like it was a real adventure. You are right though not much has changed for rifles and bullets. In some ways I think it has regressed. It seems like a rise and fall in some ways as new developments were aimed at hunters before but now primarily for shooters. Thankfully what worked in 1997 will still work good today and even better with shooting sticks.

Arguably, not that much has changed in the last 100 years in terms of DG rifles and ammo. The bonded and monolIthic bullets are better. Much is the same - sectional density, effective velocities etc.

Your Mozambique hunt sounds like it was a real adventure. You are right though not much has changed for rifles and bullets. In some ways I think it has regressed. It seems like a rise and fall in some ways as new developments were aimed at hunters before but now primarily for shooters. Thankfully what worked in 1997 will still work good today and even better with shooting sticks.
There's something to be said for the old saw: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." CRF rifles in adequate calibers still work just as well as ever.

Great intro.

Except I will disagree on one point.
I think there are less options for CRF rifles today, then there was in 1990-ies.
However, CRF rifles, remain as top choice till today.

But one great rifle emerged in the mean time and it looks like it has proven itself. Blaser R8. (not CRF)

Great intro.

Except I will disagree on one point.
I think there are less options for CRF rifles today, then there was in 1990-ies.
However, CRF rifles, remain as top choice till today.

But one great rifle emerged in the mean time and it looks like it has proven itself. Blaser R8. (not CRF)
My eyes tell me differently. In 1996, when we purchased our Winchester M70 Safari Express in 416 Rem mag and 458 win mag at Ray’s Sporting goods in Dallas, that was it for big bore CRF. I believe the new Ruger RSM in 458 win mag and 416 Rigby were in production but nowhere to be found. Most other CRF big bore were long out of production: pre 64 M70, Browning Safari Express, Interarms Mark X. The CZ 550 Safari Magnums didn’t exist then and the BRNO ZKK 602 were non importable into the U.S. due to being in a Soviet block country at the time.

Today there seem to be far more available CRF big bore rifles: still CZ 550 Safari Magnums always for sale even though no longer produced, Ruger Alaskan and Guide guns in 375 & 416 Ruger, plus Winchester M70 Safari Express and all the no longer produced CRF rifles previously mentioned. Also lots of custom CRF big bore, there seem to be more. The high end Mauser, Rigby and Jeffery are presently available if you have the money. There was the Montana rifle company and Kimber which still makes the 375 H&H Talkeetna, again not available in 1996. But GB and other online gun auctions didn’t exist nor did the internet (in a practical capacity) so it was also harder to locate a desirable CRF big bore bolt action in those days too. Much easier today, if you’re willing to pay the price!

I believe you meant the Blaser R93 which was introduced in 1993. The R8 was 2008. But if we’re talking push feeds the Remington, Browning and Weatherby offered big bore African calibers back then and today. The return to CRF started to be a “thing” again in the mid 90’s with Winchester and Ruger leading the way. Thankfully, they have maintained this to present.

No I cannot agree with you. Plus, with the internet, it is also much easier to locate almost any CRF rifle you may desire.

My eyes tell me differently. In 1996, when we purchased our Winchester M70 Safari Express in 416 Rem mag and 458 win mag at Ray’s Sporting goods in Dallas, that was it for big bore CRF. I believe the new Ruger RSM in 458 win mag and 416 Rigby were in production but nowhere to be found. Most other CRF big bore were long out of production: pre 64 M70, Browning Safari Express, Interarms Mark X. The CZ 550 Safari Magnums didn’t exist then and the BRNO ZKK 602 were non importable into the U.S. due to being in a Soviet block country at the time.

Today there seem to be far more available CRF big bore rifles: still CZ 550 Safari Magnums always for sale even though no longer produced, Ruger Alaskan and Guide guns in 375 & 416 Ruger, plus Winchester M70 Safari Express and all the no longer produced CRF rifles previously mentioned. Also lots of custom CRF big bore, there seem to be more. The high end Mauser, Rigby and Jeffery are presently available if you have the money. There was the Montana rifle company and Kimber which still makes the 375 H&H Talkeetna, again not available in 1996. But GB and other online gun auctions didn’t exist nor did the internet (in a practical capacity) so it was also harder to locate a desirable CRF big bore bolt action in those days too. Much easier today, if you’re willing to pay the price!
It depends of the individual perspective, though you have a point.
Yes internet search will find anything.

But it also depends whether you live in USA, or in EU (like me).
CZ now is phased out. zastava stopped production. Winchester, Ruger, imported from time to time, and I never saw them available locally in DG caliber.
Then you have a question of magnum length or medium lenght action. Magnum lenght action is no longer produced in factory rifle. First one available will be Mauser 98 DWM, on entry price level of 10k. (premium rifle market?)

Based on lack of magnum length actions in productions, there is appearance of short magnums for DG, and over all lack of classic DG calibers..
Nothing wrong with them ballistically, but there is a problem of availability of short lenght magnums for DG in local shops. (again, European or USA perspectives and market differences)

For me it took me 2 years to find, magnum lenght, 375 HH bolt action, CRF.
But if I were not so conservative in choice of CRF for African DG, taking all in consideration, market conditions, and Africa safari needs, most probably I would seriously consider blaser R8, in some of the calibers. Number of calibers available for this rifle, is simply unbeleivable.

I look forward to read your hunt report!

Last edited:
You’re going to struggle finding TBBC. You’ll either find some dusty on a shelf or have to find someone willing to part with some. You should be able to find Federal Loaded A-Frames and Woodleigh Hydros if you shop around. Hornady has the DGS and DGX Bonded, you’ve got factory Rigby and Swift Ammo, plus a few other options. If your still in Texas there’s a handful of shops that tend to keep some African Calibers on the shelf.

Good luck on your hunt, can’t wait to hear about it and see the photos. Hopefully you avoid the checkpoint drama

It depends of the individual perspective, though you have a point.
Yes internet search will find anything.

But it also depends whether you live in USA, or in EU (like me).
CZ now is phased out. zastava stopped production. Winchester, Ruger, imported from time to time, and I never saw them available locally in DG caliber.
Then you have a question of magnum length or medium lenght action. Magnum lenght action is no longer produced in factory rifle. First one available will be Mauser 98 DWM, on entry price level of 10k. (premium rifle market?)

Based on lack of magnum length actions in productions, there is appearance of short magnums for DG, and over all lack of classic DG calibers..
Nothing wrong with them ballistically, but there is a problem of availability of short lenght magnums for DG in local shops. (again, European or USA perspectives and market differences)

For me it took me 2 years to find, magnum lenght, 375 HH bolt action, CRF.
But if I were not so conservative in choice of CRF for African DG, taking all in consideration, market conditions, and Africa safari needs, most probably I would seriously consider blaser R8, in some of the calibers. Number of calibers available for this rifle, is simply unbeleivable.
Very true, I can only comment from a U.S. perspective which I should have stated previously. I did note that all of the PH’s on that 97 hunt in Mozambique carried BRNO ZKK 458 Win Mag and one in 450 Watts. The internet is certainly a game changer that of course we all take for granted these days.

Well, there was a time when I considered downsizing all of my hunting rifles and just acquire a few Blaser R8’s with extra barrels in suitable calibers for all my hunting needs. Alas, I didn’t want to part with them but perhaps I will acquire an R8 just to see what all the fuss is about!

My European brethren, seem to be more about extreme high quality rifles mixed with efficiency, utility, and practicality perhaps due to a more limited number of rifles allowed? I like CRF but would use a push feed without concern on DG.

You’re going to struggle finding TBBC. You’ll either find some dusty on a shelf or have to find someone willing to part with some. You should be able to find Federal Loaded A-Frames and Woodleigh Hydros if you shop around. Hornady has the DGS and DGX Bonded, you’ve got factory Rigby and Swift Ammo, plus a few other options. If your still in Texas there’s a handful of shops that tend to keep some African Calibers on the shelf.

Good luck on your hunt, can’t wait to hear about it and see the photos. Hopefully you avoid the checkpoint drama
I actually have a decent supply of 300 win mag 200 grain TBBC ( which worked great on grizzly/brown bear) and 375 RUM 300 grain SAF but I will solely be using 400 grain Barnes TSX for my 416 Rigby on Cape buffalo and perhaps plains game. This is very accurate minute of angle in my 416 Rigby. I may dust off the old 300 win mag and take it back to Africa too!

My European brethren, seem to be more about extreme high quality rifles mixed with efficiency, utility, and practicality perhaps due to a more limited number of rifles allowed? I like CRF but would use a push feed without concern on DG.
I live in Croatia.
And guns laws are generally PIA, but I cannot overly complain. For each gun I just need new purchasing license, and on application I will receive it within a month, in average.

We dont have limit on number of firearms to own (except financial limits), no restriction on caliber, and in my country hunting season is year round, depending of specific animal season. In shooting sports, we have almost all varieties from ISSF and clays up to IDPA, IPSC, or long range. (I also do shooting sports, and coaching in the club)
Main legal issues on gun laws in my opinion are: although there is a legal option for self defense gun, (like CCW), the issuing of this type of license is very restrictive and from case to case, and there is a problem of heirs to inherit the guns of the deceased - they must be certified hunters, target shooters, or collectors, otherwise they will loose the guns. Young generation does not go into these activities, and when the time comes to inherit, they dont have gun owner status, and usually they will loose the guns, without compensation if they dont sell within 6 months.

I always judge the respective countries gun laws by the phenomenon of ar15 and pistol. If a person can legally own an ar15, or a pistol, gun laws in all realism, I consider acceptable. (we can own both)

Countries with good gun laws within the reality of European legal framework are Austria, Slovenia, Checz republic, Finland, Switzerland for example. Probably there will be others.
Netherlands or UK, are extremely restrictive on the other hand.

Going back to blaser phenomenon.
In start it costs.
Spare blaser barrel is within the price of a new complete budget rifle.
But, if somebody plans in the long run, and wants quality then owning one blaser r8 with for example 4 barrels and 4 scopes - it will be cheaper then owning 4 new Mausers 98 DWM with 4 scopes.

Last edited:
I live in Croatia.
And guns laws are generally PIA, but I cannot overly complain. For each gun I just need new purchasing license, and on application I will receive it within a month, in average.

We dont have limit on number of firearms to own (except financial limits), no restriction on caliber, and in my country hunting season is year round, depending of specific animal season. In shooting sports, we have almost all varieties from ISSF and clays up to IDPA, IPSC, or long range. (I also do shooting sports, and coaching in the club)
Main legal issues on gun laws in my opinion are: although there is a legal option for self defense gun, (like CCW), the issuing of this type of license is very restrictive and from case to case, and there is a problem of heirs to inherit the guns of the deceased - they must be certified hunters, target shooters, or collectors, otherwise they will loose the guns. Young generation does not go into these activities, and when the time comes to inherit, they dont have gun owner status, and usually they will loose the guns, without compensation if they dont sell within 6 months.

I always judge the respective countries gun laws by the phenomenon of ar15 and pistol. If a person can legally own an ar15, or a pistol, gun laws in all realism, I consider acceptable. (we can own both)

Countries with good gun laws within the reality of European legal framework are Austria, Slovenia, Checz republic, Finland, Switzerland for example. Probably there will be others.
Netherlands or UK, are extremely restrictive on the other hand.

Going back to blaser phenomenon.
In start it costs.
Spare blaser barrel is within the price of a new complete budget rifle.
But, if somebody plans in the long run, and wants quality then owning one blaser r8 with for example 4 barrels and 4 scopes - it will be cheaper then owning 4 new Mausers 98 DWM with 4 scopes.
I’ve always been interested in the Baltic region and the Balkans. I’ve never been but have studied photos, geography and history of the entire region. Very beautiful. Based on my DNA test I’m part Finnish! Would seem to offer interesting hunting in the various regions there.

With my renewed interest in African hunting and deposits submitted on a couple of buffalo hunts, I probably won’t obtain a Blaser right now but it would interest me in obtaining a synthetic R8 in a combo like 270 and 9.3x62 or 7mm Rem Mag and 375 H&H.

Just went to the Tulsa Gun Show yesterday, one of the largest we have here in the U.S., did not see many Blasers, but several fine double rifles of English make and one in attendance had a beautiful unused Krieghoff 470. He was asking 11k but I think he would’ve taken 8-9K. Couple nice English Rigby rifles in 416 Rigby. Found one BNIB CZ 550 Safari Magnum 416 Rigby, 2 cross bolts with hogback stock for $2200 but he would’ve taken $2000-2100. I was very tempted to buy but I already have a CZ 416 Rigby!

I wasn’t really looking to buy, just tagging along with my brother, and of course that’s when you come across the best deals!

Yes, I must say I enjoy my opportunities in hunting at home. i don't complain on anything.

American market is special, and biggest number of safari hunters come from USA. There are probably the biggest international hunting organizations like SCI and DSSC.

So, buying a CRF magnum length action rifle, especially in condition BNIB, would be investment, because their prices will not go down, just up. (like colt python). So, its win win situation.
Basically, you can not loose, if buying smart.

I actually have a decent supply of 300 win mag 200 grain TBBC ( which worked great on grizzly/brown bear) and 375 RUM 300 grain SAF but I will solely be using 400 grain Barnes TSX for my 416 Rigby on Cape buffalo and perhaps plains game. This is very accurate minute of angle in my 416 Rigby. I may dust off the old 300 win mag and take it back to Africa too!
Are your TSX’s new production or older production? I used to love the TSX and TTSX bullets but feel they haven’t been getting the same expansion, and mass retention lately compared to 4-5 years ago.

Definitely bring the old 300WM. She needs to eat too. I’ve been shooting the Terminal Ascent out of my 300WM.

Are your TSX’s new production or older production? I used to love the TSX and TTSX bullets but feel they haven’t been getting the same expansion, and mass retention lately compared to 4-5 years ago.

Definitely bring the old 300WM. She needs to eat too. I’ve been shooting the Terminal Ascent out of my 300WM.
The 416 Rigby 400 grain factory Barnes TSX are current production, haven’t checked the lot number. For easily obtainable 416 Rigby factory ammo right now it’s either Barnes 400 grain TSX or Hornady DGX. What caliber of Barnes TSX are you using and what animal are you shooting that your not pleased with expansion and weight retention?

I’ve always been happy with Barnes TSX performance with 7mm rem mag, 300 win mag and 375 RUM but I’ve not shot anything under 400 lbs with them either, I’ve never cared for it as a deer bullet.

The 416 Rigby 400 grain factory Barnes TSX are current production, haven’t checked the lot number. For easily obtainable 416 Rigby factory ammo right now it’s either Barnes 400 grain TSX or Hornady DGX. What caliber of Barnes TSX are you using and what animal are you shooting that your not pleased with expansion and weight retention?

I’ve always been happy with Barnes TSX performance with 7mm rem mag, 300 win mag and 375 RUM but I’ve not shot anything under 400 lbs with them either, I’ve never cared for it as a deer bullet.
.223, .308, and .257Wby Mag (TTSX) on Pigs and Whitetail (because I shoot more) but have seen it on Mule Deer and Elk, as well as some African game (shot by others). It's not that I'm not pleased (it's still killing them), I'm just not seeing the same results I used to. Previously on deer and hogs I'd rarely recover a bullet and when I did it would be a great looking bullet showing picturesque performance. Now it seems like 75-80% of the time I'm recovering a bullet on deer and pigs (even on shots that don't hit bone) and the bullets aren't mushrooming how they used to.

When I buy ammo, I generally buy 5-10 boxes at a time so it's all the same lot number. Maybe there's an issue with the lot numbers I've bought, but I lean more towards suspecting a change in the metallurgy during manufacturing (especially given the bankruptcy/sale of Barnes) since I've seen it in multiple calibers. Accuracy out of my rifles has been and remains great. With the more limited .257 projectile offerings I'll keep shooting the TTSX since the accuracy is sub 1/2 MOA. The other guns I've found bullets that shoot just as accurate and get the results I like so I'm making the switch there.

Kenya, 1974. My life's first African safari. Back in those days, if you wanted a big bore rifle & weren't a hand loader... You had 3 calibers to choose from (based on the factory loaded ammunition which was on the market).

A) .375 Holland & Holland Magnum-
300Gr Winchester Super X Silver Tips
300Gr Winchester Super X gilding metal jacketed FMJ flat nosed solids
270Gr Remington Core Lokt
300Gr Remington gilding metal jacketed FMJ round nosed solids
300Gr RWS Kegelspitze soft points (just introduced in 1974)
300Gr RWS steel jacketed FMJ round nosed solids (just introduced in 1974)

B) .458 Winchester Magnum-
510Gr Winchester Super Speed soft points
500Gr Winchester Super Speed gilding metal jacketed FMJ round nosed solids
510Gr Remington soft points
500Gr Remington gilding metal jacketed FMJ round nosed solids

C) .404 Jeffery-
400Gr RWS thin steel jacketed FMJ round nosed solids (just introduced in 1974)

The only commercially manufactured control round feed magazine rifles on the market back in those days, were the BRNO ZKK series and the Inter Arms Whitworth series.

I chose to put my faith in my white hunter's loaner rifle- A .375 Holland & Holland Magnum BRNO ZKK602 and 300Gr RWS factory loads. I did not regret my decision.
Screenshot_20221007-024254_01.jpg

Tanzania, 2023. My most recent African Safari to date.

Officially, there are supposed to be lots of ammunition choices on the market for a wide variety of big bore calibers. Perhaps, but at the time of this Safari... Only Barnes ammunition seemed possible to source from the United States.

The only commercially manufactured big bore control round feed magazine rifles on the market, are the Winchester Model 70 Safari Express (offered in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, .416 Remington Magnum and .458 Winchester Magnum) and the Ruger Hawkeye African (offered in .375 Ruger and .416 Ruger). Depending upon who you ask, Winchester hasn't manufactured a new run of Model 70 Safari Express rifles in quite a while.

I chose to put my faith in my son-in-law's .375 Holland & Holland Magnum Remington Model 700 Custom (with an M-16 extractor fitted for extra reliability) and the 300Gr Barnes TSX factory load. I did not regret my decision.
IMG_1524.jpeg

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Barring elephant (which mandates a thickly jacketed or monometal solid bullet preferably flattened at the point) or the great cats (which mandate quicker expanding lead cored bullets), I would personally be quite content employing the Barnes TSX against everything else that Africa might offer me.

Last edited:
.223, .308, and .257Wby Mag (TTSX) on Pigs and Whitetail (because I shoot more) but have seen it on Mule Deer and Elk, as well as some African game (shot by others). It's not that I'm not pleased (it's still killing them), I'm just not seeing the same results I used to. Previously on deer and hogs I'd rarely recover a bullet and when I did it would be a great looking bullet showing picturesque performance. Now it seems like 75-80% of the time I'm recovering a bullet on deer and pigs (even on shots that don't hit bone) and the bullets aren't mushrooming how they used to.

When I buy ammo, I generally buy 5-10 boxes at a time so it's all the same lot number. Maybe there's an issue with the lot numbers I've bought, but I lean more towards suspecting a change in the metallurgy during manufacturing (especially given the bankruptcy/sale of Barnes) since I've seen it in multiple calibers. Accuracy out of my rifles has been and remains great. With the more limited .257 projectile offerings I'll keep shooting the TTSX since the accuracy is sub 1/2 MOA. The other guns I've found bullets that shoot just as accurate and get the results I like so I'm making the switch there.
Hmmm.. maybe Barnes did tweak their TTSX and TSX? Not sure they would even announce that either? I believe companies periodically revise or “improve” their bullets from time to time. Before we left crazy CA, I was using TSX in 270, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag with great effect on wild pigs but not so much on deer, they always went further before recovery and the TSX always passed though completely. I like ballistic tips or standard cup and core bullets for deer much better, they dropped to a well placed shot much quicker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GloryMarte

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….