Reasonably priced good US African Taxidermy

Jetjockey

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
So, I’m OCD and I’m slowly planning my next trip to Africa. My animals just arrived at the taxidermist who does phenomenal work, but is expensive. I’m looking at $13-14k for 4 shoulder mounts (buff, kudu, waterbuck, puku) and a zebra rug. I’d like to find a good taxidermist who can do things cheaper if possible.

I'd say mine but he's not taking new clients. :p He'd be 2/3 that, and have it all done waaaaay under a year.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

So, I’m OCD and I’m slowly planning my next trip to Africa. My animals just arrived at the taxidermist who does phenomenal work, but is expensive. I’m looking at $13-14k for 4 shoulder mounts (buff, kudu, waterbuck, puku) and a zebra rug. I’d like to find a good taxidermist who can do things cheaper if possible.
Usually discount and quality don’t go hand in hand good luck in your search. Hope you find what you are looking for.

@gizmo has a very good reputation and has done work for several AH members.. Ive seen a bit of the work he did on @Mark Biggerstaff plains game and have been impressed..

He's got a sika deer of mine right now that I took in Ireland a couple of years ago.. I was given what I thought was a very fair price to do the work on it..

Good taxidermy is another area of price increases. Tanning capes at a quality tannery alone has gone up.

My guy gets $2500 for a zebra rug now. But full mount leopard is still $4500

You can save money using an average skilled taxidermist. And many people don’t see the difference

But next to a high quality mount it shows
In the details.

If your guy is highly skilled the prices are not out of line.
IMG_2083.jpeg
IMG_2085.jpeg
IMG_5808.jpeg

@gizmo has a very good reputation and has done work for several AH members.. Ive seen a bit of the work he did on @Mark Biggerstaff plains game and have been impressed..

He's got a sika deer of mine right now that I took in Ireland a couple of years ago.. I was given what I thought was a very fair price to do the work on it..

@gizmo Erik Top of Texas Taxidermy has done 3 safaris for me and no4 is in his possession now. Great work.

Damuth in Brady Texas does great work. Lots of African animals.

I have a duiker at @gizmo now. All reviews were good otherwise wouldn’t halve a mount with him. Pricing was fair as well

Where are you located?

I’m in ft worth and evaluated multiple taxis for my first Africa hunt. I’ve had a few other things mounted and mixed reviews on results (still hanging in my house). Gizmo happened to be in town when I reached out. No regrets so far and I’m certain will have good results

IMG_5620.jpeg
IMG_5624.jpeg
IMG_5616.jpeg
IMG_5617.jpeg
IMG_5600.jpeg
IMG_5601.jpeg
IMG_5421.jpeg
IMG_5420.jpeg
I would love to help you if I can.

Jet jockey: I think we ALL want a great taxidermist thats also “cheaper” — if you find one please post about it for us All. I’ve used a couple good ones and Kanati in PA is one - NONE are cheap. For Me - this is NOT an area I would try to save money and especially if you plan on doing any Full body mounts, birds or Cats - they require more skill & care then a standard shoulder mount. Very few taxidermists do good “Cats” in my opinion and almost as rare to get a good Bird/waterfowel mount. Years ago After I spent $30,000 on my Safari - I didn‘t enjoy spending another $10,000 on my Taxidermy BUT years later VERY Glad I did !

This is somewhat related , on my next safari I’m going to be hunting upland birds for a half day and waterfowl for a half day, what are the procedures for importing them I’m sure they would have to go to USDA. Or is there a taxidermist in Africa that does decent work on birds. In reality I probably won’t mount any birds but would seriously consider doing a Egyptian goose or spur winged goose if I shot one.
I’m very picky about my taxidermy especially my birds, I have even sent a pair of white winged scoters back that didn’t look good until I found a great waterfowl taxidermist in Iowa that only does birds.

Get your taxidermy done in RSA.
There are some excellent taxidermists there with very good reputation and all they do is African animals.
One of them is a sponsor here.
You'll save a lot of money and time specially if you avoid the middle man.
US is one of the most expensive places in the World for taxidermy for various reasons, tanning is one of them.

Good -- Cheap -- Fast
Pick any two.

There has been a lot of digital-ink spilled over the years, warning hunters of the dangers of using African-based taxidermists. Although that may be true in some instances, I would just note that US-based taxidermists are also fully capable of botching the job.

I'll cast another vote for Gizmo. His shop has done good work for me in the past, and is working on a mount for me right now.

I second the vote for @gizmo, I dropped some buckskins of in his shop back in November, I spent some time looking around and his mounts were top shelf without a doubt.

TY's Taxidermy in Vidor, Tx does an amazing job and is reasonably priced.

Check out Double Nickle Taxidermy in New Braunfels, TX. They do a lot of African animals and just finished up my Roan, Sable, and Kudu from my last trip. I think they do really great work and are more than reasonably priced!

Probably not what you're looking for but I had my stuff mounted in Africa and it turned out great. 325 bucks for a zebra rug and $500 for shoulder mounted wart hog. But I could understand wanting it done here. Good luck with your search!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.