Questions about first African hunt

VolkFra

Reaction score
Hello, I dream an African hunt since I was a kid, now that I turned 38 I don't have strength anymore to keep it just a dream and I started to look and inquiry for a hunting travel in Africa. I was thinking a plains game hunting but then I came across for an offer for three full days hunting for one lioness in South Africa that look "inexpensive", ok for the same price I can hunt four or maybe five antelopes, but lion are lion!
I don't know if it's allowed to put links here, however the offer come from a Discount Hunts.
I sent email for inquiry but it seems a "travel agency" not a direct contact with the outfitter.

I don't know nothing about African safaris, it have been told me that the best time of the year is from June to September for hunting in South Africa.

I didn't get many answers to my emails, it's seems the rent for the rifle is for free, but the field preparation of the trophy seems not included in the offer price.

I am an amateur taxidermist myself and I have taxidermist friends that have experience with big African animals, how much could be the price in average for get the skin and skull shipped in Italy? They said the lion is importable here in my country.
I am not rich, so I have to manage my budget.
Anyone here had this kind of experience? It's is advisable? There's are better offers with everything included?
Thanks

Look in the deals and offers section here. All those hunts are directly with the outfitter. Lots of plains game offers.

However, just to make sure you understand what you are looking at, the inexpensive lion hunts in South Africa are called Captive bred lions/CBL. They are commercially raised in smaller enclosures before being released into the larger hunting area 7 days prior to the “hunt.” These are not lions that have lived wild in any way prior to those 7 days. The activity is discouraged by all major hunting organizations outside South Africa. Look for a plains game hunt.

There are lots of good sponsor outfitters here on AH.
You can start a thread “looking for a hunt” and include your basic priorities i.e game you want hunt, # of days, # in your part, ect, and you will get some solid responses.

Look in the deals and offers section here. All those hunts are directly with the outfitter. Lots of plains game offers.

However, just to make sure you understand what you are looking at, the inexpensive lion hunts in South Africa are called Captive bred lions/CBL. They are commercially raised in smaller enclosures before being released into the larger hunting area 7 days prior to the “hunt.” These are not lions that have lived wild in any way prior to those 7 days. The activity is discouraged by all major hunting organizations outside South Africa. Look for a plains game hunt.
So it will be a poor experience? Thanks for the advices!

There are lots of good sponsor outfitters here on AH.
You can start a thread “looking for a hunt” and include your basic priorities i.e game you want hunt, # of days, # in your part, ect, and you will get some solid responses.
Thank you for the advice!

Many here say it’s a good experience, but I’d personally be embarrassed by the trophy knowing how it arrived there and the connection with cub petting and bone trade industry. I will not participate in one.

YOU CAN TRUST **NOT**PERMITTED** BUT LIKEWISE PLENTY OF GOOD OUTFITTERS HERE ON AFRICAHUNTING YOU SHOULD LOOK AT.
IF $$$ IS AN OBJECT CBL IS PROBABLY ALL YOU CAN AFFORD AND WILL PROVIDE A GREAT EXPERIENCE IF YOU PICK FORM ONE OF THE GREAT OFFERS HERE ON AFRICAHUNTING.

YOU CAN TRUST **NOT**PERMITTED** BUT LIKEWISE PLENTY OF GOOD OUTFITTERS HERE ON AFRICAHUNTING YOU SHOULD LOOK AT.
IF $$$ IS AN OBJECT CBL IS PROBABLY ALL YOU CAN AFFORD AND WILL PROVIDE A GREAT EXPERIENCE IF YOU PICK FORM ONE OF THE GREAT OFFERS HERE ON AFRICAHUNTING.
Thanks for the advice!

Time of year can be important, depending on size property you hunt and numbers of game.
May-June can be a little warmer with leaves still on trees which can make it harder to see game. Bonus of going early is you could be one of the first hunters for the season on said property and more top end animals could be available.
August-September can be down right cold, leaves have fallen which make it easier to spot game. Negative is the property has more than likely had may hunter ran through it and could have less top end animals.

A CBL hunt would be exciting, just be sure you understand it is not the same as hunting lion in the wild.

Here’s probably the most affordable wild lion hunt. If I had the money, it would be on my radar. Slightly higher priced than a Buffalo hunt in Zim.

Hello, I dream an African hunt since I was a kid, now that I turned 38 I don't have strength anymore to keep it just a dream and I started to look and inquiry for a hunting travel in Africa. I was thinking a plains game hunting but then I came across for an offer for three full days hunting for one lioness in South Africa that look "inexpensive", ok for the same price I can hunt four or maybe five antelopes, but lion are lion!
I don't know if it's allowed to put links here, however the offer come from a Discount Hunts.
I sent email for inquiry but it seems a "travel agency" not a direct contact with the outfitter.

I don't know nothing about African safaris, it have been told me that the best time of the year is from June to September for hunting in South Africa.

I didn't get many answers to my emails, it's seems the rent for the rifle is for free, but the field preparation of the trophy seems not included in the offer price.

I am an amateur taxidermist myself and I have taxidermist friends that have experience with big African animals, how much could be the price in average for get the skin and skull shipped in Italy? They said the lion is importable here in my country.
I am not rich, so I have to manage my budget.
Anyone here had this kind of experience? It's is advisable? There's are better offers with everything included?
Thanks
I took my lion with Africa Safaris. The owner and PH is Jason. You will have a very exciting track hunt with them

Three day lion hunt is gonna be a canned hunt. Probably with bait. I wouldn't place much stock in those. Hunt kudu. They are generally free roaming, usually in beautiful country, quite wary. And they are a spectacular trophy usually reasonably priced. A mounted female lion just would never do it for me even if it was a "wild" hunt.

NO not a poor experience. Just know what it is and make up YOUR mind if that's something YOU want to do. Its NOT a canned hunt, its probably a CBL hunt, do some research and see if that's what YOU would enjoy. I did that type of hunt in 2021, exhilarating as you are on the ground in close proximity to a lion, only tracking allowed NO BAITING, yes you shoot and yes if from an export/import country you will get skin, ensure you get skull and skin with claws if that's what you want. Some are included and some are not, read and UNDERSTAND every detail of your contract before signing and sending deposit. If you want a wild born on property animal of any species your options are limited and prices reflect this. Verify what you are told.

I am not one to push my beliefs, ethics or thoughts on anyone else, nobody else should also in my world. BUT. You decide what you want. CBL hunts are NOT illegal yet, maybe soon if SA Gov follows thru with its plans. Politics, Optics and Antis are every where.

For me the first thing I decide is species I want to hunt, then how I want to hunt it. There are many outfits on here that will offer you all you want, expect and more.

Good luck with your "hunt".

MB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wovoka

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?