Prospect Professional Hunter

Bosbeer Bekker

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
Narfo,Cape hunt
Hunted
South Africa
Good day everyone, this might have been discussed before ,let's do It again.Question as a prospective ph except for tje obvious having to do the ph training course...what else is recommended to be employed as a ph in 2024.

Happy hunting

Bosbeer Bekker

Be prepared to work like a dog for very little for a long time to get experience.

Experience....

A deep understanding of game and wild places.

First of all what African country are you talking about? Each country is different?

Lon

Good day everyone, this might have been discussed before ,let's do It again.Question as a prospective ph except for tje obvious having to do the ph training course...what else is recommended to be employed as a ph in 2024.

Happy hunting

Bosbeer Bekker

Hunting experience
A great attitude
Socially very good
Willing to do any kind of tasks no matter how shitty
No bad temper
Know how to deal with difficult people
Diesel mechanic
Look presentable
Know how to pour drinks
Etc etc
Happy to not earn much money

You will have many other young competitors after the same position. You will not only need the skills of a top hunter, you will need to excel in people skills.

If you are fortunate to obtain a excellent tracker treat him like a brother and watch, listen and learn all you can. Try to have a little forgiveness in your heart because he is going to make some bugger ups like we all do.

Good Luck, Lon

Keep an open mind and be prepared to learn, remember a bad day in the bush beats a great day in the office.... stay positive and everything else that has been written above. The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement, we can never stop learning. Good luck

Equipment-Minimum
Rifle
Ammo
Binocular
Firearm maintenance kit
Vehicle tool kit- with wire-bolts-tie wraps-duct tape-fuses
A Reliable 4x4 preferably Toyota (sorry Kevin).

You might laugh at this short list, but I have known several PHs who have passed proficiency and own none of the above, relying on borrowed equipment.

Start a library

Hunting experience
A great attitude
Socially very good
Willing to do any kind of tasks no matter how shitty
No bad temper
Know how to deal with difficult people
Diesel mechanic
Look presentable
Know how to pour drinks
emoji23.png

Etc etc
Happy to not earn much money

Stuart Williams of @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS is 100% correct! I hunted with him not once but twice because he runs his business with respect to clients. Any successful business needs satisfied and hopefully repeat customers.

An outfitter and PH must be:
A. Skilled hunter
B. Personable, i.e. have good people skills
C. Good manager of the hunt, camp, marketing and so on...

I have hunted with other outfitters that I will not recommend to anyone. Those experiences taught me what to look out for, and what a outfitter/PH should not do!

This is my perspective as a client;
As a client the PH is working for me. I as his client expect the PH to tell me what to do and what not to do in the field. He is in charge and I in turn will follow his guidance. This is mutual respect.

Here are a few things not to do from this client 's perspective;

1. Do NOT disrespect a client's wife or female guests. Take care of the extra demands of the females in the hunting party and the male clients will tip you handsomely! Happy wife, happy life!
If a client 's female is too demanding, pull the client aside and ask him to explain to the female...

2. Do not pour the PH and other staff mixed drinks such as gin and tonics without offering the same to your clients. If the rule is there is a charge for any hard liquor, make sure your clients know this and add their drinks to their bill.

3. Per the above, Don't nickel and dime clients for every little thing. Better to account for average miscellaneous charges in the stated price and reward any low usage/cost clients with a discount at the end of the hunt. They in turn will probably use most of that to increase the tips! Win-win for all!

4. Do not treat the trackers and other staff as Hebrew slaves! Don't yell unnecessary, make sure they are well fed, ensure trackers have clothing, boots, and backpacks in good condition. Good backpacks are really important if you expect them to carry for you or clients!

5. Concerning the above, take responsibility for the actions or inaction of you and your staff. Don't put any blame on staff, you are in charge and thus responsible! Instead, look to correct the situation without excessive drama and train staff for better performance in the future. Yelling like an A-hole just removes any doubt of what you are!

6. Do not treat clients as some foreign bxstards by seating them at the dining table far from the PH, owner, and cook. Further, try to engage with your clients as best you can at meals. If you speak your client 's language, converse with them. Otherwise, try to communicate. Once you get to know them they may become a lifelong friend!

7. Don't serve leftovers from a client's dinner plate as lunch the next day. No kidding, I once cleanly cut off a little piece of bland beef steak so that maybe the staff might realize that the large portion remaining was meant for them. My inner voice told me to do this...
That steak was turned into meat pies for lunch the next day. Gosh if I didn't eat that road kill at dinner why would I want it the next day.
Note: This US Marine can survive on C-Rats, MREs, goat, mystery meat, dog on a stick from a street vendor, fish heads and rice, Ramin noodles, road kill deer, and crap long past the expiration date.

8. For a USA client, try to serve African game venison. I live in a small town that has one supermarket with butcher department, one farm that offers fresh beef cuts to order, and two premium butcher shops. Americans eat dead cow all the time!

9. If a client makes a small mistake that was not life threatening, don't yell at them. You may not like their response and they won't forget what an A-hole you are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dreamer44

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Saddlemaker wrote on Never Been's profile.
Thanks for getting back to me, I'll pass, Great luck in sell it . I don't think you'll have it long
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.