Professional Hunter mauled by Lion

Sorry to read this, hoping for a full and speedy recovery.

Jacques posted a video of this incident on his Facebook page. Looks like Reinhard owes Jacques a few Castles!! Scary stuff.

I know that Aaron Nielson (who I know)..... and some Doug Gilles guy posted it on his site, the latter seeming to be very opinionated without a shred of real situation credibility,...but I guess everyone becomes an expert when watching a video...

We have tried to contain it as best we can but seemed to have failed. Anyway, Reinhard is recovering, he has not been stitched yet, a call (by Dr.'s) will be made on his next trip to theater.

Jacques deserves way more than a couple of castles, the fact that he remained calm and calculated, speaks worlds of his level of professionalism.... I know this out of personal experience, this does not lie within every man.

With all the opinions (Gilles fella) flying around I hope (which I seriously doubt) that the mentioned individual realizes that this is allot easier SAID than done.

Every situation is different, and reality is you never know what will happen and the truth is you never know how you will react in each situation.

To Jacques thanks my friend.

Jacques deserves way more than a couple of castles, the fact that he remained calm and calculated, speaks worlds of his level of professionalism.... I know this out of personal experience, this does not lie within every man.

With all the opinions (Gilles fella) flying around I hope (which I seriously doubt) that the mentioned individual realizes that this is allot easier SAID than done.

Every situation is different, and reality is you never know what will happen and the truth is you never know how you will react in each situation.

To Jacques thanks my friend.

agree jaco, jacques calmly took the shot when it presented itself and i believe kept control of the client and made sure he didnt shoot, as it most likely would have ended a lot worse than it did.........

by the way sent reinhard a photo of my bacon, eggs and black pudding brunch. he replied with a photo of his hospital meal..... a sausage roll and chips :eek:.........guess i didnt cheer him up with that comparison :D

agree jaco, jacques calmly took the shot when it presented itself and i believe kept control of the client and made sure he didnt shoot, as it most likely would have ended a lot worse than it did.........

by the way sent reinhard a photo of my bacon, eggs and black pudding brunch. he replied with a photo of his hospital meal..... a sausage roll and chips :eek:.........guess i didnt cheer him up with that comparison :D

No kidding. They could both have been shot by panicked tourists leaving the lion free to do the clients as well. Nice guy Spike, if you needed to lose weight a couple of weeks in any hospital will leave you a lot lighter. Good to see Reinhard appears to be recovering swiftly in spite of the food

Any idea of where I might be able to see the clip? I am not on facebook.

Any idea of where I might be able to see the clip? I am not on facebook.

As Jaco correctly stated "Doug Gilles guy posted it on his site, the latter seeming to be very opinionated without a shred of real situation credibility"

Last edited:
I looked at his column after searching Doug Giles on Google. I didn't see it on there.

I looked at his column after searching Doug Giles on Google. I didn't see it on there.

I believe it was removed

Actually I don't see that as a bad thing. The last thing needed right now is a bunch of columnists and self proclaimed experts Monday morning quarterbacking something they have zero experience with. The way I see it with the little knowledge of the situation I have is Reinhard acted very valiantly and it was nothing more than a terrible accident. I just thank God he's going to be ok

Oh crap I just saw the post. Wow, Im very glad he's going to be ok. Valiant indeed.

Thanks for posting the clip for us to see. My wife didn't even view it but proclaimed my Africa hunting is over. (still negotiating that one) I explained that Reinhard did exactly what a P.H. is trained to do. Am glad more P.H.'s are not hurt doing their job. As I said in my hunt post with Jacques, he knows cats and their behavior. Best wishes to all involved, including the client.

Wow, its short but intense stuff. Never having had to deal with such a dangerous situation myself, I sure cannot see how it could have been handled any better, and one can only hope they would deal with it as was done here. Looks totally professional.

Thanks for posting the clip for us to see. My wife didn't even view it but proclaimed my Africa hunting is over. (still negotiating that one) I explained that Reinhard did exactly what a P.H. is trained to do. Am glad more P.H.'s are not hurt doing their job. As I said in my hunt post with Jacques, he knows cats and their behavior. Best wishes to all involved, including the client.

My wife had a cow as well but I told her I was 400Km to the east and there were no lions ;)

As Jaco correctly stated "Doug Gilles guy posted it on his site, the latter seeming to be very opinionated without a shred of real situation credibility"

Not the best video.

A couple of observations........... without trying to be a Monday morning quarterback.

1. Presuming the cameraman is behind the client, it looks like Reinhardt put himself between the lion and the client.

2. Coming in from the side, Jacques also puts himself between the lion and the client and does a great job of waiting for a clear shot...then delivers.

The real courage may not be from dealing with the lion but in stepping in front of a client with a loaded gun in probably the most stressful situation that client has ever been in.

From a clients perspective a big thumbs up to both Reinhardt and Jacques!(y) Happy to hunt with either of you any day!

Last edited:

It may be a good thing you already got your lion.(y)

I haven't mentioned this to my wife yet. No need in her worrying about something that will probably never happen.:whistle:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoracioSpi

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?