AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
Namibia (Omaruru, Mariental), South Africa (Limpopo, Eastern Cape, Northern Cape)
I will be flying Delta into O.R. Tambo Airport in Johannesburg at the end of June. It has been several years since my last hunt and I have a few questions about the current procedure to claim one's rifle. Do I need to sign for my rifle before going through Customs and heading to the SAPS office (I know I will not physically receive it until I get to the SAPS office)? If so, where is the office/counter to handle this? Or will my rifle be automatically taken to the SAPS office without any action on my part? My import permit is being handled by my PH but I would just like to know what I need to do to expediate the entire process. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance, Phil Heise

Hire Rifle Permits in South Africa and use their VIP meet and greet!! Definitely worth the money!! Best money u will spend on the trip!! They will meet you as you get off the plane , take you thru customs , help you get ur luggage and straight to Saps where ur pre
Approved permit will be waiting for you. In and out in less than 10 minutes!

Good morning. It is quite simple, especially if you are using a permitting service. Grab your luggage and then head right to the SAPS office to claim your rifle. Double check with your PH to see if they are using an actual permitting service or if he is just submitting it personally. I highly highly recommend you spend the $125 for a permitting service to handle your paperwork; they will do all the leg work and meet you right at the SAPS office to expedite everything...you will be out in less than 20 minutes generally.

Grab your bags off the standard luggage carousel, head out the main area, head right to the SAPS office and get in line. Many times my case has been there waiting. Point it out, do the paperwork and you’re home free. Your PH will likely meet you as you walk out before heading to SAPS and join you

I would just look for the sign that Henry was holding with my name on it, if you have a connecting flight. If your outfitter is picking you up in Joberg then look for him if he is helping you with the SAP's office.

Both times through my rifle was at the SAP's office.

Not sure what several years means, but 2018 to 2024 I’ve seen no changes to collecting a rifle at Johannesburg.

If your outfitter used a service, he will have your paperwork ready to go and you just open the case and go. If he just filled out the paperwork for you, you will go last before all the prepaid services. The wait is not bad, as long as their computer is not down and you have to wait on a handwritten permit.

Hire Rifle Permits in South Africa and use their VIP meet and greet!! Definitely worth the money!! Best money u will spend on the trip!! They will meet you as you get off the plane , take you thru customs , help you get ur luggage and straight to Saps where ur pre
Approved permit will be waiting for you. In and out in less than 10 minutes!
Thanks! I am paying a service to have my permit pre-approved. I was just just curious if I needed to sign for the rifle before leaving the pre-Customs area (I remember having to do this on hunts in 2014 and before).

You don’t have to sign anything for the rifle in pre-customs area. Go thru customs, gather your luggage at baggage (all except rifle case) and proceed out to arrivals hall. Your PH or someone from the clearing service you used should be waiting there for you and you will then go to the SAPS office to get your rifle

Remember, your Form 4457 MUST be signed in the calendar year you hunt in South Africa. If you have a Form 4457 from any other year than this year, it will NOT work in South Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VictorinaG

Latest profile posts

Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]