Premium CRF rifles that don't cost as much as a house

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
What are some of the more premium CRF rifles that are priced above your standard Model 70's, Ruger Hawkeye's, Sako's etc but don't cost 6 figures like some of the bespoke British rifles?

I'm thinking more along the lines of the Dakota 76, Heym Express etc.

I'm looking to treat myself with something really nice, but not 6 figures nice.

Rigby Highland Stalker and Mauser would be a good place to look.

I agree with @WAB. Just went through the same debate as you but ended up doing a build. The Heym Express, Rigby Highland Stalker/Big Game and Mauser would be the top 3 choices in that price range. You will be looking at $15k plus depending on the options you choose.

Montana Rifle Company if they have gotten back up and running again, I have a .416 Rigby I think it cost around 3,000. Not sure if they were going to produce safari calibers in their re- boot.
Looks like they have a new "2022" model coming soon but it tops out at 375.

I would suggest that you have a choice of either buying a finished rifle - Mauser/ Rigby or Heym - or a barrelled action - Granite Mountain, FZH, Mayfair Engineering - and building it up from there.

There are various things that you need to think about, including the safety (flag or Winchester), engraving (get the serial number engraved on the trigger guard!), and I would suggest getting a takedown model.

It is certainly easier to buy a ready-made rifle. If you want something special for yourself, a build is the way to go and - if you do your homework - should be within your budget. If you don't do your homework, you will get taken to the cleaners. A good place to start is Terry Wieland's Dangerous Game Rifles.

The third option is to bide your time and scour the auction websites. My .375 H&H takedown (by H&H), including 'scope and case, came in at £6,000 (although admittedly I had to spend more getting it into good order).

Voere Model 2165

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 9.42.18 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 9.42.18 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 9.42.21 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 9.42.21 AM.png
    610.3 KB · Views: 55
If looking for a quality rifle below the cost of a British "best" bespoke creation, then a Rigby or Mauser production rifle would seem to exactly fit the bill. Several of us here on the site are very happy with our Highland Stalkers.

I agree with @WAB. Just went through the same debate as you but ended up doing a build. The Heym Express, Rigby Highland Stalker/Big Game and Mauser would be the top 3 choices in that price range. You will be looking at $15k plus depending on the options you choose.
My only grudge with Rigby is naming the rifle the "Highland Stalker"...it should have been named the "Caledonian".

My only grudge with Rigby is naming the rifle the "Highland Stalker"...it should have been named the "Caledonian".

LOL, fair point, particularly if you have a Roman history bent. Perhaps Highlands was felt to be a little more global in application.

LOL, fair point, particularly if you have a Roman history bent. Perhaps Highlands was felt to be a little more global in application.
But "stalker"? My mind conjures something else. Anyway... a great rifle. Great to see Rigby back in UK and in good form as Mauser has left them somewhat alone....but as for Beretta and H&H..well...

I have a Montana Rifle Company CRF in .416 Rem Mag. Less than a box of shells through it. I already had a Win 70 in .416 and really didn't need it but I could not leave it there and it followed me home. I can't really justify two .416 Rem and I have a .375 H&H so honestly it is a "spare".

PM if you want a price. At some point I will post it in the classifieds.

With a build you get blue-printed actions and accurate components, PLUS bespoke measurements in wood at least and choice of up to marble-cake walnut to drool over in the off season, maybe coming in at less money. Highland Stalker is beautiful, though.

With a build you get blue-printed actions and accurate components, PLUS bespoke measurements in wood at least and choice of up to marble-cake walnut to drool over in the off season, maybe coming in at less money. Highland Stalker is beautiful, though.

I have both, they both have advantages. One of
The advantages of the Highland Stalker is resale value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IgnacioBer

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,