Possibly dumb sling question

I really like both the look and the functionality of the canvas and leather slings, very classic. I use the ones made by Els Fine Leather. Years ago Holland and Holland used to hake something similar, it was by far the best I have ever seen.

I’ll second Slogan’s. I have one on my 375 and 30-06. Grandson has one on his 308. They “stick” to you like glue. Never fall down, wrap easily around your arm and can be split into back pack carry.

Safari Ching sling.

And yes, I’ve used a slung kneeling position to shoot game with my 404. Also helps with prone shooting but one can usually find a backpack or anthill to rest on for that.

Using a shooting sling for hunting seems to be a dying art, but there’s a reason people use a sling in competition: it is more steady than not using a shooting sling.

I am using the all rubber sling on both my rifles this year in Zim
I have used the quick adjustable nylon slings for years and they have worked good, quickly tighten sling when I want to carry rifle on the final approach. The rubber sling I have been using for a couple of years deer hunting and like it so we will see

Safari Ching sling.

And yes, I’ve used a slung kneeling position to shoot game with my 404. Also helps with prone shooting but one can usually find a backpack or anthill to rest on for that.

Using a shooting sling for hunting seems to be a dying art, but there’s a reason people use a sling in competition: it is more steady than not using a shooting sling.
This. Exactly this.

So let's all agree that the cobra style tooled/engraved/carved leather sling looks the best on an African rifle. That's what I've been looking at but they don't allow you to wrap your arms in them very well and I've read that they don't actually hold in place on your shoulder very well (slide down and off) especially with a heavier rifle. So what do yall use for your safari rifles that works well and looks the part?
I have a cobra style sling on my .300 WM, (also 7mm RM, and .30-06). Those slings tend to be comfortable for carrying. I never thought these looked right on a big bore rifle with a barrel band. I got a wide canvass sling for the .458. That looks right and is very comfortable.
I have a stretchy silicon material sling that looks right on my SS and synthetic 7-08. It holds onto your shoulder and works well, but I would not be able to look at one on any of my rifles with blued steel and good walnut. Not that it wouldn't work well. It just clashes with my taste in rifles.

So let's all agree that the cobra style tooled/engraved/carved leather sling looks the best on an African rifle.
No, I don't agree. Doesn't look right on an African rifle and is frequently too short if equipped with a barrel band swivel. My vote is for the Trader Keith canvas sling mentioned above, or if you prefer leather then one of the quick-adjust ones from Murray, Sinclair, or Brownells which are much easier to use as a "hasty sling."

So let's all agree that the cobra style tooled/engraved/carved leather sling looks the best on an African rifle.
Is this a joke?

I would have thought that classic (depends a lot on which period one regards as classic) was a gun bearer...

I haven't experience with the rubberized slings, but if one is looking for support, I prefer something that is able to self adjust to the point where the thing holding the rifle is not the shirt sleeve the sling can't settle around. Competition slings do have grippers on the triceps area, but the rest of the surfaces are top grain leather, flesh inside so that all the contact is on smooth hide.

If one wants to support a rifle, there is something to be said for the Ching Sling. There is the regular version, and there is the Galco Safari version which seems to have some cobra width along with good shooting characteristics. Certainly not for deep bush... It also seems to only require a standard set of swivels. The classic Ching used 3 swivels. None of these is going to be a great idea if your forward swivel is on the barrel. One options is the 45 degree position for the front swivel just around the bend on the forend, if one is equipping a heavy recoiling rifle. One other advantage of the Ching is that it doesn't torque on the rifle, compared to standard slings.

I have never used shooting sticks. What about shooting slings and sticks? Are people using both? Does the sling tangle?

For me, the thing about classic hunts is to leave the gadgets behind. But carry over long distances does seem to be an area where a lot of improvements could be made.

Something I like to do around the farm prior to hunting season is carry around an object about the weight and length of a rifle. I am looking for something less cold in the hands than the usual weighted pipe. Around here, carrying an unloaded rifle is not allowed, as it will traumatize the wardens, not that I ever see them. I need to mock something up in wood with some weight added to it.

Something I like to do around the farm prior to hunting season is carry around an object about the weight and length of a rifle. I am looking for something less cold in the hands than the usual weighted pipe. Around here, carrying an unloaded rifle is not allowed, as it will traumatize the wardens, not that I ever see them. I need to mock something up in wood with some weight added to it.

I carry my rifle. I am glad I live where that is my right and choice!

Is this a joke?

I would have thought that classic (depends a lot on which period one regards as classic) was a gun bearer...

I haven't experience with the rubberized slings, but if one is looking for support, I prefer something that is able to self adjust to the point where the thing holding the rifle is not the shirt sleeve the sling can't settle around. Competition slings do have grippers on the triceps area, but the rest of the surfaces are top grain leather, flesh inside so that all the contact is on smooth hide.

If one wants to support a rifle, there is something to be said for the Ching Sling. There is the regular version, and there is the Galco Safari version which seems to have some cobra width along with good shooting characteristics. Certainly not for deep bush... It also seems to only require a standard set of swivels. The classic Ching used 3 swivels. None of these is going to be a great idea if your forward swivel is on the barrel. One options is the 45 degree position for the front swivel just around the bend on the forend, if one is equipping a heavy recoiling rifle. One other advantage of the Ching is that it doesn't torque on the rifle, compared to standard slings.

I have never used shooting sticks. What about shooting slings and sticks? Are people using both? Does the sling tangle?

For me, the thing about classic hunts is to leave the gadgets behind. But carry over long distances does seem to be an area where a lot of improvements could be made.
Safari Ching works fine with the front swivel on the barrel.

Using a sling with shooting sticks is a matter of learning how to use it. You’ll figure a way that works for you after a bit of experimentation. You do need to manage the sling or it interferes with resting the rifle in the sticks.

Y
Is this a joke?

Yes I've used a sling and stick with my 300WM, it doesn't tangle it actually helps imo. I wrap my arm through the sling with the front swivel behind the sticks and it helps put pressure down on the sticks making me more stable. It would depend on what sticks you're using though as some have a wider 'cradle' that the forend sits on so you would have to put the front swivel past the sticks. This still works fine but to me I get more steady when the sticks are as far out on the forend as possible. I'd like to learn the competition shooters sling methods if it can be applied to hunting rifles.

One more vite for Trader Keith's sling. Worked extremely well for me and the 10.5lb rifle never bothered me on my long stalks as it simply stayed put. Mount on my A2 below:

20230816_071203.jpg

Y

Yes I've used a sling and stick with my 300WM, it doesn't tangle it actually helps imo. I wrap my arm through the sling with the front swivel behind the sticks and it helps put pressure down on the sticks making me more stable. It would depend on what sticks you're using though as some have a wider 'cradle' that the forend sits on so you would have to put the front swivel past the sticks. This still works fine but to me I get more steady when the sticks are as far out on the forend as possible. I'd like to learn the competition shooters sling methods if it can be applied to hunting rifles.
The competition sling methods are all usable in the field.

Slung prone isn’t useful all that often because 1) vegetation often makes prone in general not applicable and 2) when it is useful, there is often terrain or a backpack or something that you can use as a rest. I’ve shot a few animals prone with my 404 but not slung

Slung sitting is more useful in the field because it gets you up above the low vegetation. For me at least, it takes longer to get into than kneeling. Experiment to see how you manage recoil with it. Depending on your weight and personal proportions and what you are shooting, you may roll back enough to not be steady and that can hinder follow up shots.

I find sling kneeling quick to get into and more stable under recoil than sitting. I’ve used it on game.

Learning to use a shooting sling is a nice tool to have in the toolbox although it may not get used often. In the field (depending on where you are) there is often a tree, bush, anthill, etc that you can use as a rest. If your situation allows, practice using a tree as a rest- they are steadier than sticks and provide more concealment from game than do sticks.

Y

The two piece military or Whelen style slings allow you to approximate competition technique. Jack O’Connor does a good job of explaining this on p.11 of this pamphlet if you can get your hands on one.

Image1714743776.592974.jpg

Last edited:
Use a piece of PVC with a cap on each end then and fill it with sand to the desired weight. 550 cord tied around each end to mimic sling swivel studs and attach a sling. Perfect as a training tool to prevent being stopped multiple times while getting in shape for a safari. I'll take a picture of the one my wife uses and send you a PM.

As for a sling, we prefer the Dick Murray A-1. The beauty lies in the elegant simplicity of it's quiet adjustability without any unnecessary frills. Simple, effective and beautiful at the same time. We opted for Talon black stainless QR sling swivels and Dick was kind enough to put them on for us.
1714812106050.png

Another sling I'd endorse the Trader Keith Rifle Strap (woven) with two silicone rows to keep it from slipping off your shoulder. I do believe that this is a beautiful sling that embodies an African hunt from days gone by.
1714811843902.png

This was made specifically to mimic my wife's rifle length and weight. I started with the length of her rifle and exact location of the sling swivel studs. I calculated the inner volume of the PVC and how much sand per cubic inch it would take to equal the weight of the rifle. This gave me the correct size PVC. 550 cord was used as an attachment point for the sling and held from slipping around with couplings. The result is a perfect replica of the weight and length of her rifle without the sand inside moving around or shifting. I painted it with some rattle can flat camo green I had laying around. It took some doing, but the result was an inexpensive and effective training tool.
1714829675095.png

Use a piece of PVC with a cap on each end then and fill it with sand to the desired weight. 550 cord tied around each end to mimic sling swivel studs and attach a sling. Perfect as a training tool to prevent being stopped multiple times while getting in shape for a safari. I'll take a picture of the one my wife uses and send you a PM.

As for a sling, we prefer the Dick Murray A-1. The beauty lies in the elegant simplicity of it's quiet adjustability without any unnecessary frills. Simple, effective and beautiful at the same time. We opted for Talon black stainless QR sling swivels and Dick was kind enough to put them on for us.
View attachment 603409
Another sling I'd endorse the Trader Keith Rifle Strap (woven) with two silicone rows to keep it from slipping off your shoulder. I do believe that this is a beautiful sling that embodies an African hunt from days gone by.
View attachment 603408
A word of warning about slings held together with Chicago screws, especially brass ones. The sling moving around on the shoulder tends to unscrew them. I had one come apart in the backcountry and lost the cap. No hardware stores in the Bob Marshal Wilderness.
17148332501703576400459796032214.jpg

Loktite is probably not the best solution. Not enough slot in the screw head. Never get it unscrewed again. I suggest buggering the threads a bit towards the middle of the screw shaft. That way the screw will start easily but bind up as it's being tightened.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go88apktop

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg