Overnight Johannesburg Recommendation

Africa Sky or afton house. I've stayed at both and both are nice. The rooms are nicer at Africa Sky but the food was better at afton house. I'd stay at either again though.

Where exactly is Whitwater? I've never heard of it. It can't be as close as City Lodge/Intercontinental. I stay at City Lodge all the time and have never had issues.
I always like to hear about other options.

It's in Kempton Park. 5 miles from airport. 11 minute drive according to maps.

If you have someone pick you up in the parking lot when you first come out, you can be there in the same time it takes to walk and take elevator to city lodge.

I'll start another thread specifically about my City Lodge experience. I also heard from a friend(seasoned Africa traveler) who had someone enter his room at the Intercontinental and attempt to break into his safe while he was sleeping in the past month.

I was honestly surprised by my experience and my friend's. I've been going to Africa since 98, and have never had anything like that happen before.

The thing I like about Whitwater is that when you get there you feel like you have arrived. At city lodge it seemed like an extension of my travel.

The only downside to whitwater is that at some point a squatter camp popped up across the street. It is my understanding that there were some lawsuits and that the camp is supposed to be cleared out. It may have been already. I'm not sure if that has happened or not, but I've always felt safe there.

Just got back from Joburg on the 31 Aug,after a week in the Limpopo area. I liked the City Lodge. Located at the airport, food was good, room was nice, porter and staff were very polite and helpful. Rifle and baggage was in my room. Just booked a bespoke safari for Buff for next year. Will stay 2 nights this time, just to rest up.

City Lodge is good if you fly in late and leave early the next morning. Any extra time I’d go to Africa Sky. The extra space and atmosphere is well worth it to me. In this case though I’d definitely ask outfitter about sitting in camp an extra two days.

If you have someone pick you up in the parking lot when you first come out, you can be there in the same time it takes to walk and take elevator to city lodge.

I'll start another thread specifically about my City Lodge experience. I also heard from a friend(seasoned Africa traveler) who had someone enter his room at the Intercontinental and attempt to break into his safe while he was sleeping in the past month.

I was honestly surprised by my experience and my friend's. I've been going to Africa since 98, and have never had anything like that happen before.

The thing I like about Whitwater is that when you get there you feel like you have arrived. At city lodge it seemed like an extension of my travel.

The only downside to whitwater is that at some point a squatter camp popped up across the street. It is my understanding that there were some lawsuits and that the camp is supposed to be cleared out. It may have been already. I'm not sure if that has happened or not, but I've always felt safe there.
It is always good to know options and I am pleased to hear yours. I usually have a group following me so it will be an airport hotel for us.
I do not agree with the perspective however of off site hotels being safer. Just the drive has seen people robbed. How can someone enter a guests room unless they Didn't lock the deadbolt lock? Either way I'll be placing my suitcase and gun case blocking the door from now on!

How is the guns subject? You will be given a permit and take them with you to hotel?

Wherever one goes in Joburg, not a good idea to wander.This occurred while I was there.

Convenience of City Lodge is hard to beat. Never a security issue there. Automatic choice for JNB overnight. Have also stayed at Nkanga Lodge, Kemtpon Park a few minutes from OR Tambo. Very secure, relaxing and pleasant setting on 11 acres. For a day or two layover, worth looking at that possibility.

As others have said, if just in and out I use city lodge. I thought the food was good and my rifle went to the room with me. This was back in 2014 so things may have changed but the room was nice and the shower after all of the travel was superb. If not in a rush I’ve stayed at Afton, nice rooms and people and outstanding food.

On our only trip to SA, we stayed at Afton house both coming and going...on our return, with short notice due to airline problems. We felt very at home immediately. Meals were great, very hospitable. Of course they met us at the airport and delivered us as needed on leaving, with assistance. Plenty of room on the grounds to stretch your legs after a long flight. I sure wish we had time to hit the pool!

We stayed at Whitwater a few weeks ago on my outfitters suggestion. Very nice accommodations and definitely a step up from Afton!

Also, the squatter camp had been removed a few days before we arrived.

I've stayed at Afton House and Africa Sky, and in my opinion, they are about the same. The rooms are basic, and the food is fine. The one thing I like about them vs. staying at a hotel, is that I can sit outside and relax while smoking a cigar. Not sure if that is available at the places. I used Africa Sky rifle clearance services, and everything worked out fine. Where their service shine was the next day when I was flying to the Eastern Cape. Gilbert from Africa Sky went up to the counter, spoke to the young lady behind the counter and he did his magic. Shortly after that, I was rushed to the counter, paid extra for the ammo, and my rifle was checked. In no time I was waiting for my flight. Gilbert was amazing, and he knew who to talk to. Well worth the extra $$.

How is the guns subject? You will be given a permit and take them with you to hotel?
No problem taking them to the hotels listed. You need to get the permit to use your rifle in South Africa. You can apply at at time or in advance, but it’s issued once you land. It’s the same permit for your trip to South Africa, no special permit or anything for hotel.

It is always good to know options and I am pleased to hear yours. I usually have a group following me so it will be an airport hotel for us.
I do not agree with the perspective however of off site hotels being safer. Just the drive has seen people robbed. How can someone enter a guests room unless they Didn't lock the deadbolt lock? Either way I'll be placing my suitcase and gun case blocking the door from now on!

I tend to travel with one of these even in the US and even if the hotel room has a deep bolt and chain. For $12 or so from Amazon, it is cheap extra insurance.

Wedge It.jpg

1694027181098.png

the $1.99 rubber version you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes works exceptionally well also..

or.. in a pinch, honestly just about anything you can wedge under the bottom of the door will do a great job.. a folded up newspaper or magazine wedged in snugly will make the effort to get a hotel door open an insurmountable task for most would be assholes..

Wherever one goes in Joburg, not a good idea to wander.This occurred while I was there.

There are only couple areas you can wander in Joburg.
Rest is a no go and dangerous even while driving.

View attachment 555490

the $1.99 rubber version you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes works exceptionally well also..

or.. in a pinch, honestly just about anything you can wedge under the bottom of the door will do a great job.. a folded up newspaper or magazine wedged in snugly will make the effort to get a hotel door open an insurmountable task for most would be assholes..
Yes but the Wedge-It is a stunningly bright Neon Green and not some drab brown! :giggle::giggle::giggle:

It was actually designed for fire fighters to keep doors open at a 90 deg angle after they had searched a building. There are many places offering it for much less than Amazon.

Another vote for Africa Sky. They were great picking us up at Tambo, wrangling bags and guns. The rooms were great, clean, good bathrooms. The food was delicious both dinner and breakfast. It was a great way to start our adventure.

Ok guys. I have researched and read a lot on here about the different overnight places to stay on arrival. After 5 trips I have never needed to overnight but for 2024 I may. As researching flights I can arrive 1-2 days ahead of when safari starts and save a lot on a flight I am looking at. That being said I figure give me time to get over jet lag and rest up before safari starts and do some sight seeing.
Where would you recommend for the best price for two days with moderate comforts and good food. Also service maybe to take to do some shopping. But a secure place also.
Thanks in advance.
I have stayed in Afton Guest House, City Hotel and African Sky, but must say I will not again.

2021 Safari after being locked in City Hotel rooms for 14 days we moved to Sunrock Guest House, I WILL always go there from now on. It fits all you ask for, best price, (lots less than others listed when we stayed), moderate comforts, not sure of what moderate are but rooms are bigger, better than the hotels listed plus rooms have decks/patio, birds, lizards, no airplane noise, amazing down home awesome food, a trophy room think life-size giraffe capable, bar, gym, gathering area on site, very safe (Gated), and service above and beyond. Its what I envision when thinking Africa, not a hotel or super fancy $250 night place. Owners are hunters and there's a good chance you may have a drink with "some famous/world renown" hunters, we did more than once. No issue with distance to airport or driving, they have included shuttle that gets you and returns you IAW your flights. Oh and they also drove us to the shopping, sites we wanted to see, all included.

I cannot say enough good things about the place. Its #1 and only place I will layover now on trips, savings add TF to any hunt. They have a website, you can do some due diligence to verify my recommendation.

MB

Ok guys. I have researched and read a lot on here about the different overnight places to stay on arrival. After 5 trips I have never needed to overnight but for 2024 I may. As researching flights I can arrive 1-2 days ahead of when safari starts and save a lot on a flight I am looking at. That being said I figure give me time to get over jet lag and rest up before safari starts and do some sight seeing.
Where would you recommend for the best price for two days with moderate comforts and good food. Also service maybe to take to do some shopping. But a secure place also.
Thanks in advance.
This is coming from a guy with a total of one trip to Africa. Here's what worked well for me. I looked into many options for an overnight stay after arriving on the United Flight at about 7:00 pm. I didn't want to drive the 4 hours to camp that late so I flew in a day early and arranged to have our PH pick us up in the morning. I'd do that again.

The same time we booked our flight I asked our travel agent (Jennifer) to book us a room at City Lodge. We hired Rifle Permits VIP service and they met us at the plane and held our hand all the way to the front desk at City Lodge. Just the kind of help I was looking for. I really liked the convenience of not having to leave the premises from the airport to the hotel.

We found the City Lodge to meet our expectations just fine. Good buffet in the evening and breakfast. Nice place to sit and have a sundowner by the pool. I felt safe. (I would like to hear more about the guests who had people enter their room).

Our PH recommended Africa Sky. I will consider them next time, I'm sure there are other great options. I can only post on my (one) experience at City Lodge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HilarioCom

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,