"Original" M-65 Field Jacket

Like most A&C things, it has held up well, but I really haven't used it in the field. It's mostly been an "around town" type thing. It is not insulated, but I have a zip up fleece jacket I wear with it, and from that perspective it works well. I do love the abundance of pockets.

It is cotton, and I'm more likely to wear gore-tex or some such out in the field, because wet cotton just isn't any fun. Would I buy again? Not sure... not because of quality issues, or anything like that, there are just so many choices out there that I don't know it would be my first "go to".

A&C things can be made anywhere. I have jeans made in the USA, shirts in Taiwan, etc. I'm not sure where they are making that jacket now, mine looks to be made in PRC, most likely Hong Kong, but that's the fashion industry for you.

A&C can be directly traced back to Willis and Geiger. While they have clothing factory contacts everywhere, they are pretty fastidious regarding their designs and quality specs.
How has it healed up for you?
Would you buy it again?
What activities do you wear it for?

Glad you like it. Thanks for the advice.

I live in San Antonio, the Promised Land of milspec/milsurp goods. I bought a woodland camo M-65 jacket at a surplus store a decade or so ago for $50 IIRC after freezing on a hunting trip, put the liner in it, and have never regretted the purchase. It’s heavy and not entirely waterproof, but it certainly is tough and loaded with roomy pockets. Everything else is a knockoff of that field jacket.

You probably can find one online at a reasonable price. Just make sure you see a photo of the inside tag that shows size, specs, care and where it was made.

I wear an M-65 Field Jacket w/liner every time I hunt in Maine. Never need to empty the pockets if goes back into a black contractor bag until the next year. Got it at a flea market for $55 some 20+ years ago. It's the old woodland camo pattern. I don't change much over the years.

I wear an M-65 Field Jacket w/liner every time I hunt in Maine. Never need to empty the pockets if goes back into a black contractor bag until the next year. Got it at a flea market for $55 some 20+ years ago. It's the old woodland camo pattern. I don't change much over the years.

The only thing better than a field jacket liner is a poncho liner made of the same material…

The old school “woobie” is the best piece of kit Uncle Sam ever issued..

The only thing better than a field jacket liner is a poncho liner made of the same material…

I need to unpack some boxes from my Dads house. He’s gone 9 years, but he bought a genuine M-65 field jacket a couple of decades ago, he wanted one exactly like he wore in the US Army is West Germany in the 1950s. Bought it from an Army surplus store in Lafayette Louisiana. Have the liner as well.
I think I will wear it on my next hunt.

I just bought a jacket from Red Kettle in the UK which I feel is very similar to the M65 but the cloth feels a lot better. The double ventile is the one I got because wind AND water protection were more important to me. With a fleece underneath it is very similar in feel to the M65 parka I wore as a kid. Look around the UK manufacturers for Non-China options. They are significantly more expensive than surplus but feel more substantial. I have not been in a rainstorm yet but initial impressions show that it’s on par with my older goretex jackets for waterproofing

Orvis, almost all made in third world these days, but anything labeled “CFO” for Charles F Orvis is the top quality.

Filson is also now third world junk. I was shocked to learn that the wool Mackinaws that were $500 ten years ago, made in Seattle, are going for $1600 badly worn on EBay. Real Seattle Filson is highly collectible now.

Barbour is all third world, except for their heritage line of bedale, Beaufort, and Border coats.

That is nothing but the truth! The properties of the poncho liner are almost supernatural.

20231211_081319.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the closest that I have found so far to meet my criteria.

I prefer USA made, but 90% of what I wear on a daily basis is overseas made.

It says water resistant, breathable with vents.

I agree with you on the hood.

I may buy one and give it a try.

I have a complete filson waxed cotton field coat and brush chaps. For fighting through briars or rain they are great but don’t think you will be dry. Waxed cotton does not breath so you will be soaked from the inside by your own sweat.

I have a complete filson waxed cotton field coat and brush chaps. For fighting through briars or rain they are great but don’t think you will be dry. Waxed cotton does not breath so you will be soaked from the inside by your own sweat.
Breathability and weight is the reason why I went with ventile over waxed cotton. I’ve been very pleased thus far.

I have a bunch of Filson stuff but have been able to make sure it’s all US made. The tinned double hunting pants are great in the briars and for tree work and long as the temperature is a little cooler.

I would look in the vintage section of some of the boutique reselling clothes stores. I still cringe when I see OD green clothing!

Carhartt or Duluth may have something similar. I have a Cabela’s brand upland coat I bought probably 15 years ago that I love. Cotton canvas exterior, OD green, goretex lining and big pockets inside and out. Of course they quit making it.

Safe hunting

Ive got an Orvis upland coat that I wear as my casual winter coat.. it sounds similar to your Cabelas upland coat in design minus the goretex lining..

I gave mine a good spray down with scotchguard a few years ago to help make it a bit more waterproof.. Its not my first choice in the event of a major storm.. but for a light rain it keeps me plenty warm and dry..

I used one of my Dad's old OD green M-65s as a parka while in the Scouts especially to cut the wind. I then graduated to what we called the 60-40 parka. My first one was from an East Coast backpacking outfitter called Eastern Mountain Sports or EMS. I wore that forever but hated not having handwarmer pockets. It wasn't water-proof but would shed light rain...for awhile.

https://www.outinunder.com/content/story-sierra-designs-6040-mountain-parka

Lately, I've been using a British Army surplus windproof smock in their multicam DPM for deer hunting. The hood will roll up into the collar like a M-65. I like it. I also have one in their desert DPM.

Attachments

• The Story of the Sierra Designs 60:40 Mountain Parka | OutInUnder - Slow Social Media.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 254

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClydeBold4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?