Ordering a ‘74 Sharps

RETD16

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hello all, I’m considering ordering a 1874 Sharps rifle from Shiloh or C. Sharps. Does anyone here have any experience/recommendations? I want a 45/110 (45 2 7/8”). I know the wait is long, but really don’t care. I just want advice on what to consider, what possible issues happen, etc. Thank you all!!!

Hello all, I’m considering ordering a 1874 Sharps rifle from Shiloh or C. Sharps. Does anyone here have any experience/recommendations? I want a 45/110 (45 2 7/8”). I know the wait is long, but really don’t care. I just want advice on what to consider, what possible issues happen, etc. Thank you all!!!
It's been over20 years since I ordered mine from Shiloh and I had to wait about 4 years for it but well worth the wait. There were no problems at all, they are very good to deal with. When I ordered I paid it in full rather than wait because then there were no price increases. Study what's available and if you like an upgrade just order it! Things that I ordered were the shotgun butplate to reduce felt recoil, the brass escutchens and of course the pewter forend tip. Mine is a 45/70 and it is a treasured rifle!

I've wanted to order a Shiloh for years but one thing or another has kept me from it, and I also keep sliding back to reconsider the C. Sharps 1885 High Wall and others.

Re: Shiloh rifles, there is I think ONE solitary stocking dealer, Bill Goodman: https://shiloh-ballard.com/ Custom rifles but they get priority build and so you get them somewhat sooner while also paying a bit more. Mr. Goodman will help you figure out choices for your rifle, make suggestions, etc. Give him a call or email.

My personal advice is to keep it simple. Real-life Sharps rifles seem to be predominantly very plain and understated working tools. Look at firearms sellers who deal in antiques and for all the original-rifle photos you can find and when something catches your eye, make a note of it and what you like about it.

I’ve had half a dozen Shilohs over the years. All are great rifles with no problems. I’ve dealt with C Sharps for other things, but have not yet purchased one of their finished rifles. Both are easy companies to deal with. In the 74 I prefer the Shiloh rifles.

I’ve had half a dozen Shilohs over the years. All are great rifles with no problems. I’ve dealt with C Sharps for other things, but have not yet purchased one of their finished rifles. Both are easy companies to deal with. In the 74 I prefer the Shiloh rifles.
I also prefer the 1874, although I’ve been told that the ‘75 is a stronger action.

I've had 3 Shilohs and still have 1. They are very nice rifles and I've had nothing but great experiences with them all. Bill Goodman is the way to go.

I have a Shiloh Sharps with a pewter forend, I did get the extra seal under the barrel, 45/70, and bone case hardening, they are a fantastic rifle, no issues in ordering, Mine took about a year to get, no issues with ordering at all, great company to work with.

I have a Farmingdale NY Shiloh Sharps 1874 in 50-70 I love shooting it .

52B7EAD0-A311-41A6-B1C0-3DEFAF6F51A5.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a new C Sharps 45/70 some years ago, still have it, superb rifle. I also have on order a Shiloh Quigley rifle in .45-110.
Am hoping to hear something from them before too long on progress.
They both make great rifles.

@RETD16
My old gunshop owner had a Sharps Shilo in 45-120. He used to load it with 350 grainers snd H4831SC for pigs. I was absolutely devastating. He did try some 500 and 600gn cast and said even tho it was accurate it was a bit to much oomph for him.
Bob

L-R
308 win, 405 win and 45-120 Sharpe's
20201219_095135.jpg

Who doesn’t want a Sharps or similar style rifle replica after watching Quigley.

Since so many are in line to buy one. Have you considered the other long range rifles of that era.

Remington rolling blocks for just one example can be dressed up pretty nicely. And are just as accurate or more. Plus they are an original rifle that has been customized. Not a replica.

You can find one heck of a custom rolling block or high wall for half of the Shiloh sharps. It will be less common at a shoot and will shoot as well or better than a sharps.

Or find a civil war Whitworth
IMG_1605.jpeg

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 7.08.06 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 7.08.06 AM Large.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 7.08.07 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 7.08.07 AM Large.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 7.08.08 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 7.08.08 AM Large.jpeg
    255.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 7.08.09 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 7.08.09 AM Large.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 7.08.12 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 7.08.12 AM Large.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 13
I’ve got a C. Sharps in 45/70 and a Italian Copy, I drive through Big Timber twice a week and will stop and order a Shiloh one of these trips. I bought my Ex-Father in law a Shiloh for his 70th birthday ordered it a year prior and he got it when he was almost 72. It was well worth the wait though and he loved it.
This was an amazing example of a Shiloh that @tarbe sold here. It was beautiful

Who doesn’t want a Sharps or similar style rifle replica after watching Quigley.

Since so many are in line to buy one. Have you considered the other long range rifles of that era.

Remington rolling blocks for just one example can be dressed up pretty nicely. And are just as accurate or more. Plus they are an original rifle that has been customized. Not a replica.

You can find one heck of a custom rolling block or high wall for half of the Shiloh sharps. It will be less common at a shoot and will shoot as well or better than a sharps.

Or find a civil war Whitworth
View attachment 559438
How capable is a rolling block for taking a larger nitro express round, say a .450/400 or a .450? I've always understood them to be weaker than falling-blocks, but they are both plentiful and relatively inexpensive even as original examples, so I've given consideration to trying one myself. I've seen a custom one in .405 Winchester somewhere before; I do wonder how such a rifle would perform against, say, a panther or black bear, or even a moose...

I’ve never seen a .450/400 but there are plenty made in 45-110 and 45-120
I had a very nice custom 45-70 casecolor Hardened shorter hunting length barrel. Nice wood and ladder sights. Not a long range barrel.

The rolling block is a very strong action. It’s not as fast as someone good with reloading a sharps, Farquarson, high wall or ruger one. Because it’s 2 movements instead of one.

I’m not saying they were better originally. Just that they are laying everywhere cheap. And can be customized into a very nice long range rifle affordably and easily.

I owned a Csharps for a few years. It shot very well and I enjoyed a lot of range time with it. I ordered it because it was a year less wait time vs the Shiloh.

I’ve never seen a .450/400 but there are plenty made in 45-110 and 45-120
I had a very nice custom 45-70 casecolor Hardened shorter hunting length barrel. Nice wood and ladder sights. Not a long range barrel.

The rolling block is a very strong action. It’s not as fast as someone good with reloading a sharps, Farquarson, high wall or ruger one. Because it’s 2 movements instead of one.

I’m not saying they were better originally. Just that they are laying everywhere cheap. And can be customized into a very nice long range rifle affordably and easily.
Cheap indeed, and some are even quite pretty-looking all things considered. They don't have the same pop-culture clout as a Sharps (I'm looking at you, Quigley and LaBoeuf), but apparently they were quite popular, were in production longer, and were adopted by Europeans and Egypt for their militaries, so there's a higher likelihood that once upon a time some enterprising hunter lugged one down to the savanna and made do.

As for being fast, I would think that with practice, it could be make plenty quick on the reload. The breechblock and the hammer are actuated from the same place; with a cartridge ready, the hand would have a shorter distance to travel between cocking-loading-gripping. At least in theory. Ha, it's given me something to think about, at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ASBending

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….