Optic for Mauser Single Square Bridge

Tex .416

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Is mounting a red dot like an Aimpoint or RMR on the rear single square bridge a realistic option or does it need to go farther forward?

Is there another better option to avoid drilling or cutting the forward round portion of the receiver?

This would be for a .416 Rigby that I am eyeing.

It will work fine on the rear bridge. I actually prefer them further back. The dot doesn’t care if it’s against your eye or on the muzzle, relative dot size to the window it’s projected in is all that changes.

It's personal preference on where you like the optic with a red dot, but there are things to consider. The biggest is not just the optic and where the "dot" is but being situationally aware of what is going on around you and the targeted animal. Having the optic mounted further forward will allow your eyes (yes eyes, because both eyes will be open) to focus on the entire picture instead of being "zoned in" with the optic very close to your face.

With the optic close to you, the edges are more well defined and it forces your brain to "see" them. Move it further forward and they become blurry because you are focusing on the dot. The brain will dismiss the edges of the optic and all you will see is the dot.

This method is not only used in hunting (like driven game in Europe) but has been confirmed with military units and police where being aware of what's going on is truly life and death.

I know that most are not likely to be breaching doors or taking down an active shooter, but hunting DG isn't that far off either. If it were me, I'd look at a way to keep the optic low and move it to the forward end of the action. Another option (depending on the rifle) is replacing the rear sight with a mount for a red dot.

Is the 416RIGBY you are looking at a rifle produced by Rigby? Some pictures would be nice so we can all dream and drool.

Bee,

good input, thank you.

Yes, it was a Rigby SSB. I went back to buy it and it was already gone. :( Oh well, I am waiting on a Heym to clear customs. Hopefully it will be here soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ASBending

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….