Opinions wanted on a backstop for home rifle range

Reaction score
When I get to the point of completed handloads, I plan to do some load development at my home.

I intend to shoot groups at 100 yards, trying to find hunting accuracy and checking velocities.

I have a small field and swamp for my backyard, I do need to build a backstop. I own a backhoe so, could just dig a hole and pile up the dirt. I would like something a bit more pleasing to look at than just a dirt pile. What suggestions does the group have.

When I get to the point of completed handloads, I plan to do some load development at my home.

I intend to shoot groups at 100 yards, trying to find hunting accuracy and checking velocities.

I have a small field and swamp for my backyard, I do need to build a backstop. I own a backhoe so, could just dig a hole and pile up the dirt. I would like something a bit more pleasing to look at than just a dirt pile. What suggestions does the group have.
I think it depends on how much you will shoot - railroad ties with dirt behind will work - for awhile. But after 100’s or 1000s of rounds the wood will have huge holes and eventually rot and dirt/sand spill out. My vote would be a Big dirt mound (plant flowers on it or Rose Bushes to make it attractive)

This is what I built. Earth (dirt) is your best friend. Add to it wood overhead to stop any ricochets. Railroad ties make building a structure easy. I have earth filling the railroad tie house and many yards of earth behind it!

1709513882559.jpeg

1709513804617.jpeg

1709514020115.jpeg

1709514089544.jpeg

1709514174594.jpeg

1709514468361.jpeg

Hey John. I would just go with a dirt berm. That will be the toughest, cheapest, and most durable option. That’s what every outdoor range around here uses. I wish I had the land to put a range in my yard.

Anyone in DFW with a trailer and big truck, I’d love to give you some free concrete blocks for a perfect backstop. We dump waste concrete into econo/blocks with no warranty or quality gaurantee but free

Anyone in DFW with a trailer and big truck, I’d love to give you some free concrete blocks for a perfect backstop. We dump waste concrete into econo/blocks with no warranty or quality gaurantee but free
Why can’t you live close to me!

Stack a truckload of log length firewood, shoot into the pile for a few years, and then cut and burn in fireplace etc.
You'll always have seasoned firewood and the lead is not in the ground

Compact the dirt as you’re building the mound up (run tractor over it in 2’ lifts) or build mound twice as high as you would like it to be, to allow for settlement. And get grass on it asap to stop erosion.

I've been looking but haven't found the OP.
To help this OP, does anyone know or recall the previous post asking about building a backyard range/ back stop. There were quite a few good ideas threads.

At my local private shooting range they just have steep dirt backstops with trees and grass. Every once in a while you'll see small tree limbs and brush fall from above after a shot indicating ricochet's. If I were to build anything it would be more of a large bullet trap.

A wall of cross ties with earth stacked behind like a retaining wall; then attach FLAT sheet metal to the face of the crossties and cover that sheet metal with rubber conveyer belt.

Conveyer belt as in the type used for rock crushers/earth moving.

The conveyor belt will act like a self sealing target backing and the sheet metal behind it will both keep the conveyor belt flat and act as a magnetic surface so you can secure your targets to the belt surface with refrigerator magnets; thus eliminating the need for a staple gun or thumb tacks.

You can get the scrap conveyor belt from rock and gravel pits and when you do I suggest getting enough so you can have extra on hand for resurfacing…… which will take many many rounds of penetration be needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agenttinah

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….