Opinions please: .375 H&H Custom Built on Remington 1917 Action

I'd but it if the price doesn't go above 1k.

Like others have said, change the scope mounts, add a soft recoil pad, add backup sights and you'll have a nice rifle. The blind magazine is not really a concern to me.

In my very limited experience with p17s and what I have seen at the gun shows I attend it would be substantially cheaper to buy one completely finished than to take on a project. In my area I would expect that to bring 6-8 hundred dollars at a gunshow and I’m sure there’s that much worth of machining and barrel work alone if you had to hire it done.

I don't know if you've got the chance to inspect the rifle. If it were me, I would be reluctant to bid on a modified rifle without the chance to inspect. A few issues come to mind:

i. From the photo it is obvious that the bottom metal has been removed and replaced with a different system. What you can't see is what internal changes they have made to the magazine and trigger arrangements.
ii. It appears the original sight protectors etc have been milled off and replaced by some form of base and ring system. There's no way to tell from the photos whether they made a good job or a misaligned 'bubba' special.
iii. To me the stock looks unfinished, as though it was someone's project rifle that hit the wall resulting in them throwing it together for a quick sale.
iv. Once upon a time, M1917 parts were common as dirt. If something broke there was no difficulty getting replacement parts. Likewise after market options were easily available. I'm not sure that that's the case any more.

On the positive side, the M1917 is a very strong action capable of handling whatever big bore cartridge you want. In a world where the major manufacturers have abandoned magnum length actions, an M17 action isn't a bad option.

I don't know if you've got the chance to inspect the rifle. If it were me, I would be reluctant to bid on a modified rifle without the chance to inspect. A few issues come to mind:

i. From the photo it is obvious that the bottom metal has been removed and replaced with a different system. What you can't see is what internal changes they have made to the magazine and trigger arrangements.
ii. It appears the original sight protectors etc have been milled off and replaced by some form of base and ring system. There's no way to tell from the photos whether they made a good job or a misaligned 'bubba' special.
iii. To me the stock looks unfinished, as though it was someone's project rifle that hit the wall resulting in them throwing it together for a quick sale.
iv. Once upon a time, M1917 parts were common as dirt. If something broke there was no difficulty getting replacement parts. Likewise after market options were easily available. I'm not sure that that's the case any more.

On the positive side, the M1917 is a very strong action capable of handling whatever big bore cartridge you want. In a world where the major manufacturers have abandoned magnum length actions, an M17 action isn't a bad option.
It is an out-of-state auction so I can't inspect it. The other pictures show that they did a good job on milling the sight ears off.

I am looking at it as something of a beginner .375 H&H iff I can get a low enough price on it. Other the putting a slip-on recoil pad on it and maybe cross-bolts, I'd probably leave it as-is.

I’ve got one in 300H&H that is a wonderful rifle… feeds well… has great balance.. and shoots accurately…

If the price is right go for it..

If you opt not to go for it, share a link… almost certainly someone here would love to have it and will buy it..

Attachments

• Remington 1917 Sporting Bolt Rifle .375 H&H mag | Guns & Military Artifacts  Rifles  Bolt Acti...pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
This rifle just sold for $900 plus a 22% premium or just short of $1100.

In the same auction, a CZ 550 in .416 Rigby sold for $2800 plus premium.

Makes me feel better about my mystery 1917 that wound up being 850 delivered. Still not sure what "416/404JEF" as a marked caliber means until I get it from my FFL Monday but for the price I was willing to take a chance. I mean, whatever it is will probably make a hole between .416-.423 LOL

404 Jeff necked to 416 is my interpretation of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dinogame

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?