One rifle for North American big game?

Like most others I'll recommend the 30-06, as that is what I prefer to hunt with using 165 gr and 168 gr bullets.

But I also own a variety of weapons, and I am an avid muzzleloader so I'll through in 45 or 50 cal muzzleloader or 45-70. Had you included sheep and goat I would go with the 7mm Rem Mag., 270 Winchester, or 340 Weatherby.

338 Win Mag! From Coues Deer to Polar Bear! There are many many cartridges that will get the job done! From 44Mag to 30-30 and from 270 and 30-06! Of course ther is the venerable 7mm REM Mag and the 300 Win Mag! But the best and most authoritative is the 338 Win Mag! I think this covers all the bases…
@CZDiesel
The good ol Whelen is a bit more authority.
Bob

You absolutely cannot go wrong with a .30-06. But, for me, it’s my .338 Win Mag.

If it’s gonna be one gun to do it all, these are the two I’d choose from.

300 WM or 30-06. Check out the 18.5" carbine model Rem 760/7600 Pump in 06 (it came in many other suitable calibers featuring the 06 case/action or 308 case/action, including 35W) but it'd be perfect for close quarters hunting in FL (and running shots at hogs-you never take your eye off the sight and the gun reloads itself upon recoil once broken in.) With a 1-5x and a trigger kit you can easily take hogs/antelope/deer/elk out to 300ish yds (I've gotten some of these longer shots in FL as many ranches have been converted into public hunting lands as part of the everglades restoration project). Ammo is also cheaper if you stick with the (pick your fav mfr's) "Whitetail" load (165 gr for me). I'd step up on bullet size for elk and bear (I like 200 gr Nos Partitions heavily handloaded as a combo do-it-all load.) Good luck. Enjoy.

Late in this party, but I put my bet on 8x68S, my favourite caliber by far - mild recoil, flat enough, powerful enough, you can load it from 180 to 250 grs, still doable in a light rifle with a compact scope ... just like my Sauer 90
Yeah, you could just run into any little store in Wyoming or Utah or Georgia and pick up a box of ammo......oh, wait...

300 WM or 30-06. Check out the 18.5" carbine model Rem 760/7600 Pump in 06 (it came in many other suitable calibers featuring the 06 case/action or 308 case/action, including 35W) but it'd be perfect for close quarters hunting in FL (and running shots at hogs-you never take your eye off the sight and the gun reloads itself upon recoil once broken in.) With a 1-5x and a trigger kit you can easily take hogs/antelope/deer/elk out to 300ish yds (I've gotten some of these longer shots in FL as many ranches have been converted into public hunting lands as part of the everglades restoration project). Ammo is also cheaper if you stick with the (pick your fav mfr's) "Whitetail" load (165 gr for me). I'd step up on bullet size for elk and bear (I like 200 gr Nos Partitions heavily handloaded as a combo do-it-all load.) Good luck. Enjoy.
Maybe if he wasted to restrict himself to the Eastern states of the US, or maybe the Yucatan (that's technically still in North America). Not a great choice for hunting the Western states with big canyons, sage brush and open flats though.

Original post was in 2018 and it’s still going strong . The contributor was last seen in 2019.

Last edited:
I’ve had a lot of success with a 300 Win mag. From brown bears and moose all the way down to southern whitetails and pronghorns. 40 yards to 425 yards. Adjust ammo from 150 grain to 200 grain projectiles as situations dictate.
I have too. In NA I've taken moose, mule deer, and black bear. In Zimbabwe I took nyala, waterbuck, bushbuck and impala. I haven't hunted any of the big bears, sheep or goats, but I have no doubt that the .300 WM would work just fine.
@Hunter-Habib
African grizzly bears???? Where do you hunt them
Bob
I was looking for an African grizzly on my last safari in Zimbabwe. We hunted pretty hard but I never saw a bear. Can't understand why...

Original post was in 2018 and it’s still going strong . The contributor was last seen in 2019.
I wrote on Friday and asked the original what he had chosen after getting all this good advise for six years. He hasn't answered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WI_AL

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.