Not your typical Africa question

freefall

AH elite
Reaction score
But some of you have valid input.
What do you use for snowshoe bindings?
I got sick of leather, always becomes a pain in the fundament, so I tried surgical tubing since you can't get red inner tubes any more.
But the tubing loses all flex in the cold. :(
I'm starting to think maybe nylon strapping with double d-rings?
As per usual, knowledgable thoughts are appreciated, don't much care what you use for your water-skis.

Nylon straps ?

I use snowshoes quite a bit in the winter, ojibwe style that I have built mostly, have used inner tube style (quick on off, but a lot of slop, good for when you may need to dump the shoes quickly such as ice fishing), para cord home made, not to quick to get on and off but in an emergency work good, i.e. Binding broke while out and about, and leather, I prefer the leather, I find better control and less side slipping while using, I don’t run the tail of the straps all the way through the buckle so they are quicker to dump if needed, I think a lot will depend on the terrain you are using them in, there is a place in Minnesota that makes a nice rubber style slip on that I have used for my kids, easy on and easy off. I think I just got used the leather and readjust them throughout the day. I have seen the fake leather but have not tried them, I think they are a neoprene type product, have also seen but have not tried ones made out of pvc formed into a half boot with straps on them but do not how well they work.

Last edited:
Nylon straps ?
Maybe not nylon, some sort of synthetic stuff that dog harnesses are made of.
Couple of rivets, couple of D-rings, bada-bing. Guess I'll give it a try.
Thanks gents for input and restraint!

Hi, you might look at ice climbing crampon spare straps, they are very tough and made for the cold. petzl, black diamond, grivel brands come to my mind. Probably made out of dynema.

I prefer the military bindings. nylon straps with aluminum hardware.

Hi, you might look at ice climbing crampon spare straps, they are very tough and made for the cold. petzl, black diamond, grivel brands come to my mind. Probably made out of dynema.

Yes, that´s what I meant, my crampons have straps made of some kind of synthetic material

I quit using traditional style snowshoes, because of the challenges with bindings. Leather bindings only worked well for me in combination with traditional moose hide mukluks, they are just not well suited to use with rubber bottom boots. The modern aluminum frame / synthetic snowshoes are greatly superior for comfort, ease of use, durability, and grip on ice/slopes. And I can wear better footwear with them.

Yeah, well, I'm a fatty so those little Sherpas don't do much for me. A pair of 10x56 Tubbs lets me mogate pretty good.

GV Rachet bindings. I'm from northern Michigan and use these on several pair of snowshoes. They hold your boots firmly on the shoe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hispeeeed

Latest profile posts

Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair