Nilgai hunt

Not yet. Pesky little problem called Work, has gotten in the way of calling. I know what rifle I want to use, but to list it here openly is asking for criticism......I am just after a hunt and a meat Nilgai, probably a cow I guess..............still open to any suggestion................FW Bill

Not yet. Pesky little problem called Work, has gotten in the way of calling. I know what rifle I want to use, but to list it here openly is asking for criticism......I am just after a hunt and a meat Nilgai, probably a cow I guess..............still open to any suggestion................FW Bill
I SHOT MY FIRST ONE WITH A 45-70

Bergers...actually it's 195 grains and a 1:8 twist. Shoots 1/4 MOA way out there if I can call the wind right.
Looking at wildlife systems website on nilgai under guns and gear, they actually specifically list Bergers as not allowed on their nilgai hunts.

One positive thing about the King Ranch...there was a bad winter storm that killed a lot of nilgai before we hunted there. The ranch biologist called me and said you can come but I would rather you come later to see more nilgai. He said they lost 40% of the nilgai in the winter storm. So we rescheduled to the next year and while they were still rebuilding numbers, it had gotten a little better. That was nice to be given a heads up and option to rebook at no charge.

Looking at wildlife systems website on nilgai under guns and gear, they actually specifically list Bergers as not allowed on their nilgai hunts.

Understandable, probably not the ultimate bullet design for deep penetration on a heavy and heavily constructed animal.

I would use a different bullet next time and a heavier caliber as well after taking my nilgai apart and seeing it for myself. If he wouldn't have run behind the Mott we would have seen him fall and walk right up to him. My buddy shot his with a 9.3x62 and A-frame losing his nilgai. It's still about bullet placement as always.

@375 Ruger Fan Don't ask, don't tell. But I'm after a meat hunt not a trophy bull, so that should help. I guess I could upgrade a little on the cartridge......FWB

Shot placement is key, they do not stay still for long, at least on the hunts we have been apart of.

McAllen Texas. You can hunt free range Nilgai on public land and you can hunt them at night because their nocturnal animals. My guides name was Tony, I didn’t set up the hunt I went on so I don’t know his information but if you can find him he’s very experienced at hunting Nilgai and he’s, I recommend him

Another reason a lot of these initial shots at Nilgai are muffed, is because they are often the first large animal that many clients have ever taken other than whitetail. Toss in the usual 300 Win Mag minimum caliber requirement which many of those same clients are using for the first time, the slightly different anatomy of a true antelope, and the difficulty of trying to track a wounded one in waist-high coastal grass and oak motes, and I frankly am surprised more are not lost.

Wildebeest is probably the best anatomical parallel I can think of with one major difference. The vast majority of free range Nilgai bulls will not be seen staring at you phlegmatically at 100 yards as the cruiser rolls past. The typical Nilgai will be seen first at three hundred yards as he slips into fourth gear while looking at you over his shoulder. Unless potting one through a thermal or shooting one behind a fence in the Hill Country, they are a magnificent and challenging game animal.

My King Ranch guides with my best coastal Nilgai. They are not a whitetail. Also note the high comb along the top of the backbone which, like a wildebeest, throws off the vertical aiming point.

nilgai2.jpg

Last edited:
300 Win Mag Barnes VOR TX 180 Grains at 260 yards quartered away downed him after he walked about 10 yards. I'm going to be honest I think quartered away or head on shots just under the neck bell are the best on these animals. I've heard horror stories, and they're always broadside shots. There is a neck shot where the shoulder meets the neck that the guys down here in south Texas will tell you shuts the lights off. Something to talk over with your guide.

Tomorrow I start making calls to arrange this. I'm going to start with King Ranch and call Texas Outfitters and Guides Assoc. I will call Lomas Chicas and look at Texas Hunting Forum. Gonna try to contact Wildlifesystems as well. I will post the result. Not sure if summer is the right time to hunt them, but I will find that out too.......FWB

Tomorrow I start making calls to arrange this. I'm going to start with King Ranch and call Texas Outfitters and Guides Assoc. I will call Lomas Chicas and look at Texas Hunting Forum. Gonna try to contact Wildlifesystems as well. I will post the result. Not sure if summer is the right time to hunt them, but I will find that out too.......FWB
Summer would not be my first choice. 1 heat is bad here like triple digits. 2 snake boots are a must, that much hotter. 3 ticks, they are thick. 4 meat hunt, would not want anything to spoil.

These are off the top, want you to know what you are getting into before you get to deep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEQJenna74

Latest profile posts

Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]