New member from Central Midwest

Welcome to AH!

You'll have a wonderful time bow hunting provided you use very heavy arrows. Light arrows at high speed work on whitetails, but they don't work at all on the plains game of Africa. If you want to see how that goes, check out the very good videos from Dries Vissers Safaris featuring Americans bowhunting. Lots of failure to penetrate with "normal" arrows.

Welcome!
Spend some time reading the articles here, hunt reports, and ask questions. A wealth of knowledge on this site to help you prepare. Truly a magical feeling preparing for your first African hunt.

Welcome to AH!

Hello, my husband and I just booked our first trip to South Africa and are super excited (the waiting 11 more months will be excruciating). We both plan to use our compound bows and firearms for the range of animals we have on our "wish lists." Any guidance or recommendations on poundage, arrows, broad heads, etc. is greatly appreciated!
Welcome to AH

Welcome to the forum.

When and where (what country, state/province) will you be hunting?

Welcome to AH Niki.NE!

Welcome to AH!

Hello, my husband and I just booked our first trip to South Africa and are super excited (the waiting 11 more months will be excruciating). We both plan to use our compound bows and firearms for the range of animals we have on our "wish lists." Any guidance or recommendations on poundage, arrows, broad heads, etc. is greatly appreciated!

Take some time to look over the Bowhunting Forum here on the AH.com site. There is some good information from some knowledgeable bowhunters who have lots of experience hunting African game. This one particular thread below has some great information and recommendations that are much more current than some of the older guidelines posted on the internet. Best of luck to you on your safari!

Welcome to AH. Nice to have you as part of our community.

Greetings Niki.NE,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Yours truly is no archer by anyone’s imagination.
But both my sons are.
My oldest occasionally writes in here, the best forum of all, under the screen name of, DoubleLunger.
If you run a search for his posts, in one of his early ones (2016 or ‘17), he discusses equipment with some of the more “Africa experienced” archers here.
I’ve attached bellow a couple photos of him.

At that time, he was using almost exclusively, compound bows and related gadgets.
However fast forward to now, he is using almost exclusively, wooden long bows and home made arrows.

As for rifles, unless hunting eland or giraffe, anything in the .30-06, 8x57 Mauser, .300 Magnum category, with 180 grain or heavier bullet works well for Africa’s antelope, swine and striped donkey.
That said, my favorite hunting cartridge is the .375 H&H, as one never knows when a 2,000 pound eland bull will suddenly appear before your very eyes.
And even though the .30-06 and similar cartridges have taken thousands of eland no doubt, I just prefer a bit extra bullet weight for such a large animal.

With that, I will say Cheerio.
Best Regards.
Velo Dog.

IMG_9380.png
IMG_7391.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bruce1324

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,