Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
As you all likely know, Colt started making the Python again in 2020. There were a few problem early in production, but those seemed to have been worked out early and no problems since. Does anyone have experience with this new version? The Pythons I've shot in the past were amazing and now at $1500 for a new one that seems a much better buy than older used ones frequently selling for much more.

Your thoughts please?

As you all likely know, Colt started making the Python again in 2020. There were a few problem early in production, but those seemed to have been worked out early and no problems since. Does anyone have experience with this new version? The Pythons I've shot in the past were amazing and now at $1500 for a new one that seems a much better buy than older used ones frequently selling for much more.

Your thoughts please?
My father in law bought a new one in April. There were some issues with the sights. Specifically the rear one I believe. There apparently were so many revolvers that had the issue that Wilson Combat is making replacement sights for them. He sent his in to Colt to get fixed. He got it back in June and it was only marginally better. He is going to order the replacement from WC.

Bought mine two years ago, 6 inch model. Have several hundred rounds through her, full power jacketed to plinking hardcast, has performed without a hitch with my proven handloads. More accurate than myself and very consistent. Double action nice, doesn't stack near end of pull and decent single action. Achilles heel was the rear sight assembly, lose tolerances, poor sight picture with the factory front blade, at least for myself. Remedied with a WC rear assembly and WC front gold bead blade, easy install. Nice precise clicks and fast clear picture. It's a keeper. HTH this helps.

Phil, 2-3 years ago I wanted one badly also. but I could not find one for suggested retail. They were all between $2000 to $2500 at that time. I just refused to pay it. They were easy to find. My shop had probably 5-6 at any one time....just with a premium price.

As you all likely know, Colt started making the Python again in 2020.
Your thoughts please?
Hi Phil,

Yours Truly, during the 1980’s, once owned a 6” Colt Python, made during late circa 1960-something.
The UNDERSIZED pawl / cylinder bolt was just a little nub of stamped sheet metal.
My individual python was however very accurate.
Plus, I have always liked the muzzle-heavy balance and short distance from blackstrap to trigger face, of that particular make and model.

However, as well as being thoroughly overpriced for that time in history, mine sometimes would turn past a chamber, during rapid fire training drills. (I was a Cop back in those long ago times).
This always resulted in my firing pin putting a small dent in anything and everything, except a live primer. LoL
After disassembly, a thorough scrubbing and reassembly, it continued to malfunction in exactly the same way.
I sold it to a friend, with the admonishment that it had the described timing issue.

Back then (around 40 years ago), I think I paid about $300. USA Dollars for that “skip a beat now and then” Python.
It appeared barely used.
And, I was happier when I sold it than I was when I bought it. LoL

Prior to and during the time I owned that revolver, I also owned (and carried at work), a similar vintage S&W Model 28 “Highway Patrolman”.
That revolver is in every way, superior to any revolver that Colt has offered ….. ever.
Furthermore today, now I have a S&W Model 27, with 6.5” barrel, with wide “target” hammer, narrow smooth trigger and factory Goncalo Alves magnum grips.

And so, to answer your question, long ago the Colt Python fell from grace in my eyes and today continues to bore me a little bit.

Conversely, the Smith & Wesson Model 27 and Model 28 (same only dull finish) are, IMO, the best of the best double action revolvers, world wide, bar none.

I know that usually the most difficult to find and therefore, the most expensive Model 27’s are 5” and 3.5” but, the 6.5” has been my “Holy Grail” of revolvers, since about the time that I graduated from high school.
This was around the same time that the wheel was being invented.

Anyway, blah blah blah, senile, rambling old man out.

V. Dog.

I've had very good luck with my new ( post 2020 vintage) Python with 4.25" barrel. The SA pull is not as light and crisp as those on my old S&W revolvers--models 19, 15, and 24. The DA, on the other hand, is better than anything else "out of the box" I've ever shot. I only have less than 1,000 rounds through it now, but so far it has been completely reliable and a joy for DA shooting. I'm not wild about the rear sight assembly, but it works OK. I think I would prefer the WC conversion, and I may swap it out at some point. Short version of all this: Best DA pull and handsomest revolver I own. "A plus" in those categories. SA pull gets a "B"; rear sight assembly maybe "C plus" or "B minus." That's all I can tell ya.

I haven’t bought one yet, not the same gun of days past and you couldn’t beat me into paying what an old one goes for these days. I had a python, king Cobra and a couple Anaconda 44’s once upon a time, replaced them all with S&W 629’s, 686’s and Rugers in Blackhawks, RedHawks and GP100’s. Only reason I wish I would have kept them was what they sell for now. Will I buy one, most likely I will for the hell of it but I will wait and find one on the used market to play with.

Hi Phil,

Yours Truly, during the 1980’s, once owned a 6” Colt Python, made during late circa 1960-something.
The UNDERSIZED pawl / cylinder bolt was just a little nub of stamped sheet metal.
My individual python was however very accurate.
Plus, I have always liked the muzzle-heavy balance and short distance from blackstrap to trigger face, of that particular make and model.

However, as well as being thoroughly overpriced for that time in history, mine sometimes would turn past a chamber, during rapid fire training drills. (I was a Cop back in those long ago times).
This always resulted in my firing pin putting a small dent in anything and everything, except a live primer. LoL
After disassembly, a thorough scrubbing and reassembly, it continued to malfunction in exactly the same way.
I sold it to a friend, with the admonishment that it had the described timing issue.

Back then (around 40 years ago), I think I paid about $300. USA Dollars for that “skip a beat now and then” Python.
It appeared barely used.
And, I was happier when I sold it than I was when I bought it. LoL

Prior to and during the time I owned that revolver, I also owned (and carried at work), a similar vintage S&W Model 28 “Highway Patrolman”.
That revolver is in every way, superior to any revolver that Colt has offered ….. ever.
Furthermore today, now I have a S&W Model 27, with 6.5” barrel, with wide “target” hammer, narrow smooth trigger and factory Goncalo Alves magnum grips.

And so, to answer your question, long ago the Colt Python fell from grace in my eyes and today continues to bore me a little bit.

Conversely, the Smith & Wesson Model 27 and Model 28 (same only dull finish) are, IMO, the best of the best double action revolvers, world wide, bar none.

I know that usually the most difficult to find and therefore, the most expensive Model 27’s are 5” and 3.5” but, the 6.5” has been my “Holy Grail” of revolvers, since about the time that I graduated from high school.
This was around the same time that the wheel was being invented.

Anyway, blah blah blah, senile, rambling old man out.

V. Dog.
As I lay here in bed there is a S&W 28 next to me on the nightstand. It’s a fine piece.

I bought a Python with the 4.25 barrel this year, all my other wheel guns are S&W including a Mod 27 5". I kinda like the Colt trigger a in dbl action over SW, and its a beauty to look at with the raised rib. The SW has its a beauty all its own, it,s a SW

There are other vintage S&W revolvers (Model 24, 29, 57 and many many more) which likewise are included in my list of the very best double action revolvers that money can buy.

And bearing that in mind, during my earlier post, I neglected to include ….. the best of the best “Caliber .357 Magnum” double action revolvers, (etc., etc).

With that, you will notice that I used the word “vintage”.
By this I am referring to their revolvers, made prior to the time when they quit cross-pinning the barrel to the frame and soon thereafter, began installing their extremely annoying frame lock thingy (requiring a tiny, easy to loose special key).

Cheers.

Anyone have any experience with the French MR73? It’s supposed to be one of the very best 357s made.
I have seen one French double action revolver in .357 Magnum caliber.
I do not recall the model number.
It did for sure look I suppose, made well enough, considering it was the 1980’s.

S&W was beginning to weaken and decay during that time.
The French .357 appeared no better or worse than a 1980’s made S&W comparable Model.
(It somewhat resembled a Model 686 S&W).

That French revolver and the early 1980’s made S&W Model 686 as well, inspired no more than a yawn from this senile old Revolver Grump.

Last edited:
Anyone have any experience with the French MR73? It’s supposed to be one of the very best 357s made.
I was given a Manurhin MR73 set. It had the revolver set up with a 357 cylinder, but it also had complete 38sp and 9mm cylinder assemblies, several grips and a bunch of extra sights and accessories. I fired it quite a bit as I was curious about all the hype and cost. I will say it has an extremely smooth double action pull that is so short and smooth it is near impossible to "stage" the trigger. But with that kind of smoothness staging the trigger wasn't really necessary.

At the time, I was heavy into handguns, and I have always preferred revolvers. Some of my all-time favorite revolvers are S&W's M17, M19 and M29. All are pinned and recessed. If I am carrying a handgun in the woods, it is normally one of those.

Years ago, the Manurhin was hard to find. I sold it on GB for what I thought was an unbelievable price. I did not like it better than my S&W's.

Safe shooting

WE HAVE A '62 PYTHON (MY BIRTH YEAR) THAT IS NATURALLY NOT AN EDC BUT IS SMOOTH AS SNOT AND HAS NEVER MISSED A BEAT AT THE RANGE.
GOT MY SON AN UNFIRED '81 .22 RIMFIRE DIAMONDBACK (HIS BIRTHYEAR) THAT WE SHOT ON HIS 40TH BIRTHDAY A YEAR OR SO AGO, REAL NICE LITTLE PISTOL THAT SHOULD HAND DOWN FOR GENERATIONS.
SO WHEN THE NEW ANACONDAS CAME OUT SEEMED NATURAL TO PICK UP A 8" FACTORY ENGRAVED EDITION. GOT TO ADMIT I CANNOT GIVE A VERY DETAILED REPORT ON IT CAUSE IT IS MORE REVOLVER THAN I CAN HANDLE BUT IS IS WELL MADE AND IT DOES HELP FILL THE SAFE WITH ANOTHER "SNAKE".

As I lay here in bed there is a S&W 28 next to me on the nightstand. It’s a fine piece.
@Wyatt Smith
As I lay in bed my beautiful wife is cuddled up to me. She is a fine piece.
I would prefer that to a cold piece of metal on the night stand.
But hey that's me.
Bob

There are other vintage S&W revolvers (Model 24, 29, 57 and many many more) which likewise are included in my list of the very best double action revolvers that money can buy.

And bearing that in mind, during my earlier post, I neglected to include ….. the best of the best “Caliber .357 Magnum” double action revolvers, (etc., etc).

With that, you will notice that I used the word “vintage”.
By this I am referring to their revolvers, made prior to the time when they quit cross-pinning the barrel to the frame and soon thereafter, began installing their extremely annoying frame lock thingy (requiring a tiny, easy to loose special key).

Cheers.
@Velo Dog
The old S&W K38 in 38spl ruled the roost in target shooting in Australia way back when. They were a sweet, slick and very smooth gun.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minna4294

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?