Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
A few years ago @AZDAVE called me with a very nice offer on a Searcy double rifle in .470NE. He even dropped it off with me on his way through Phoenix on his way to an elk hunt to try it out first. I really had no idea how to check the LOP on my own, but I figured it was just a bit long. The rifle had a couple other things missing that I would have preferred too, but it was a great opportunity to start off the journey into double rifles. So I bought it and enjoyed it, but in the last year I wanted to either make some changes to it or venture off and buy a new rifle made more specifically to me.

Last year about this time, actually a bit before DSC, I made my way up to William Larkin Moore and Sons who I'm sure many of you have seen at the shows. Dan Moore is a good gent and the shop is a joy to visit. I could spend a better part of a day drooling over in particular their fine side by side double shotguns. But I spent time talking to Dan about a Chapuis double in .470NE. He was telling me how he was ordering them a bit specific for the shop and what he thought his customers would like. The problem last year was Chapuis seemed to be still running a bit slow from Covid and the overall supply chain issues. So I kind of put if on pause until a week or so ago.

Long story short we made a deal on this now called Elan (formerly Brousse) model on Thursday last week which included trading him the Searcy for. Thanks for Uncle Joe and his minions, I only received permission from the gov't to take delivery of the gun this morning. I was working from home initially this morning when they called, but went and picked it up on my way to the office at lunch time.

A few of the highlights:

1. Case colored as you can see.
2. Dan had the LOP set to 14 7/8" which fits me perfectly.
3. Dan orders them setup for a scope as you can see by the mount just behind the leaf sights. He also includes a set of 30mm Talley rings with the purchase. The rear ring I surmise uses the Recknagle base at the rear you have to zoom in on the pic to see it). I have no intent to put a scope on it, but it's nice to have the option.
4. Towards the front end of the barrels on the underside is a hole tapped for a scope stud. Presently there is a screw in that can be removed and screw the stud into. Dan includes the front stud as well as a rear one if you wish to install in the stock. I plan to do just that as I don't do the African carry thing.
5. I plan to have a mercury recoil reducer installed in the stock by a local gunsmith that Dan recommended.
6. The rifle is also an ejector type.
7. I will also be mounting my Trijicon RMR sight that I kept from the Searcy it was on.

Forgive the poor pic quality. It was a long day today and I was also interested in the Mich/Wash game tonite. And then getting ready to leave for Dallas tomorrow.

Thanks to @ActionBob and @rinehart0050, both of these gents took phone calls from me with various questions about their Chapuis experiences. Again a special thanks to @AZDAVE, perhaps the nicest gun enabler this forum has btw :), we've had many conversations about doubles and he has taught me much. Thanks much Dave!

Now for the poor pics:
IMG_1426.jpeg
IMG_1428.jpeg
IMG_1429.jpeg
IMG_1430.jpeg
IMG_1431.jpeg
IMG_1432.jpeg

IMG_1424.jpeg

IMG_1425.jpeg

IMG_1427.jpeg

A nice rifle. I have heard nothing but good things about them.

A PH friend of mine bought a used .500 3 seasons ago. It has worked flawless and is very accurate.

Lon

Congratulations Phil! It's a real beauty!

When is It's first trip to Africa, where is it planning to go and what will be It's first trophy?

Congrats on the new add!!

What's the Africa plans for this beauty?

Beautiful rifle! Congratulations!

BEAUTIFUL rifle!

and YES, @AZDAVE is the worst enabler possible lol.. Not only have we traded, bought, and sold to each other on many occasions... I have run down more rabbit holes than I care to recount after reading one of his posts about a particular caliber, rifle, etc lol...

Very nice. I'm sure that you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Congrats on making a deal.
Bruce

wow........that is super nice.........congrats!!! you will love it!!

I bought a used one 2022 and hunted buff on 2023 excellent performance accurate and dependable also had a mercury recoil in the buttstock and egw mounts exacellent combo with the swarvoski17 scope illum reticle/dot
unnamed (8).jpg

I also bought the same rifle in 375HH and its a beauty and shoots 1/2 grps at 100yrds with the scope using the right barrel only with the left barrel then its a2'' grp still not bad for dangerous game

Congrats! That's a great looking rifle with some fine wood! Should serve you well on your buff hunt!

Thanks for the kind words gents, hopefully see a few of you at DSC this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VirgieDunh

Latest profile posts

Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair