Need some knowledge on a Dakota

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
There is a Dakota 280AI for sale here locally. Could some of you fellows with some experience on the Dakota rifles check this out and tell me what a ball park decent purchase price would be on this?
Screenshot_20240306-172548~3.png

@rookhawk would have some knowledge I would think.

I'm not much help, the one I had shot straight and worked well.

Call Parkwest with the serial number....

I know everyone suggest calling Parkwest but it doesn’t always work out. This was the information they gave me after 4 emails.

“I don’t have a lot of info. It was made in 2007 with an English walnut stock”

HH

I know everyone suggest calling Parkwest but it doesn’t always work out. This was the information they gave me.
“I don’t have a lot of info. It was made in 2007 with an English walnut stock”

HH
Ha ha. I hear ya. I don't need anything super exact, I was just curious about a ballpark value from some of the Dakota aficionados on on here.

Very nice. Based on the description - $7500 is reasonable. Parkwest will charge $11000 +/-.
A steal for $6000
All assuming no mechanical or cosmetics issues or a short LOP ( less than 13.5") and a barrel 22" or longer without a brake.

I feel like any Dakota 76 like that goes for anywhere between 4K-5.5K. The stock on this one makes it more valuable.
I have two and they feel and operate like 12-15K rifles.

George at Champlin Firearms will give you a fair appraisal or ballpark…

I’m pretty sure this is my neighbors rifle that is for sale. It’s a very nicely built rifle. This one has not been shot but a friend has its twin and I can say that it shoots very well. I’d love to have it but I’m saving for my first trip to Africa that I have booked next summer. Let me know if you need any more info on it.

I’ve got a little of everything…. Blasers, Rigbys, Mausers new and old, pre 64s, Krieghoffs, a Purdey, Dakotas….eh, who cares. But mention them only to compare the Dakotas with the rest of the fleet. They are superb rifles, no question about it, and easily fit in with the rest. It’s been a while since mine were new, so I’m useless for current pricing, but I think you’d be very happy with that rifle. Congrats on the find.

Last edited:
I love my Dakota Rifles, you will be happy with that one if 280 AI is what you are looking for. It is a great cartridge in my book. If I were buying that rifle I would feel really good with myself getting it for 5500 and if I really wanted it I would pay 7000, a man has to know his limitations. The stock with the shadow line is sexy as hell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UrsulaWilh

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,