Need help with trophy/gun room ideas

Jetjockey

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I think I’m going to pull the trigger and finished my gun/trophy room, or as my wife and daughters call it, the library. I don’t have a lot of space, and want to make sure I do it correctly. The plan is some type of wood (walnut, cherry, pine, et) beams, wainscot, gun cabinets on each side of the fireplace with shelving going all the way across, maybe cabinets, etc. The room is 19ft wide x16.5ft deep with 9.8ft ceiling. So its not huge at all, and I want to keep it cozy and not crazy. Here’s some pictures of the room, and ideas that I’m going off off. My Buffalo will go over the fireplace. Anyone have some pictures of something similar? Thanks In advance.

Jet

IMG_4285.jpeg
IMG_4284.jpeg
IMG_4283.jpeg
IMG_4273.jpeg
IMG_4274.jpeg
IMG_4272.jpeg
IMG_4271.jpeg
IMG_4282.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4270.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 54
BTW, you’ve got a great rug and some killer furniture pieces (antler bench) as a start. My first call for cabinets, paneling and/or ceiling recommendations would be to Julian and Sons in Arkansas; however, make sure your jets are cool before dialing. The only potential problem I see is the window. I’d, at the very least, tint with UV blocking film (3M makes it); and for drape design, layout, etc, I’d reach out to Danielle Balanis Design in Mountain Brook (Birmingham), Alabama. Both Julian and Sons and Danielle should easily be found on Instagram but feel free to PM me for their respective cell numbers.
Lastly, a nice chandelier, although 1/4 the price of used Heym double, might really separate the men from the boys. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
BTW, you’ve got a great rug and some killer furniture pieces (antler bench) as a start. My first call for cabinets, paneling and/or ceiling recommendations would be to Julian and Sons in Arkansas; however, make sure your jets are cool before dialing. The only potential problem I see is the window. I’d, at the very least, tint with UV blocking film (3M makes it); and for drape design, layout, etc, I’d reach out to Danielle Balanis Design in Mountain Brook (Birmingham), Alabama. Both Julian and Sons and Danielle should easily be found on Instagram but feel free to PM me for their respective cell numbers.
Lastly, a nice chandelier, although 1/4 the price of used Heym double, might really separate the men from the boys. Keep us posted.
Thanks for the compliment on the rug/furniture. To be honest though, the best part is the Scott record player/stereo that my mom bought new in 1968 for $450. Johnny Cash, Waylon, and Elvis all sound great on it, but then again, I grew up with it so I’m biased. The Julian and Son stuff is incredible, but it’s incredibly pricey as well. The window is Low-E, and the plan is to install electric Lutron shades that run off the WiFi. I already have a custom elk horn chandelier in the main entrance, so I’m not so worried about that in the gun/game room.

Even though the room is 19ft wide, I’m a little limited to how wide the gun cabinets can be, and still make the room like right. I’m hoping I can get 9-10 guns on each side of the fireplace, but we will see.

Begin with how many wall mounts do you have?

What animals do you plan on putting in your trophy room?

What additional animals are you planning on adding to your trophy room?

What are the smaller mounts?

IMO and my own plans have a 50 - 65 inch TV mounted over a fireplace with, IF Possible, my 2 kudu side by side or my eland over the TV. If there is room without crowding I'll hang my Indian trade fowler, a 60 cal. smoothebore flintlock.

On one side of the room a gun safe for storing my firearms. On top of the gun safe my yellowtail mongoose as a center piece between either my wall mounted 2 springboks or 2 wall mounted warthogs, or IF room my 2 wall mounted impala.

As in your photo I too will have a couch with end tables with lamps and chairs on either side of the couch. In front of couch a glass rectangular coffee table. Glass coffee table designed to house a future gator or croc.

Your idea of bookshelves under gun cases on either of the fire place would be a nice touch providing you are minimizing the number of trophies in your room. With your buff mount over the fireplace and between the bookshelves and gun cabinets would be really cool.

For your room entrance walls you could ad a small narrow cabinet; on either side of the cabinet place your pedestal mount(s). Working from the doorway to the far walls place small and medium wall mounts. Large mounts in the center of the narrower walls balancing the next larger mounts to the right and left. Then balance the areas out with smaller mounts.

For back skins if you have any. Work those in as covers on the back of chairs, couch, and narrow floor cabinet at entrance way and on the wall spaces, if any.

Also if you have mounts from various countries you might want to keep them together so as people look and ask about them you can easily describe each hunt by country, like turning pages in a book.

Good luck decorating and show us your man cave when it's completed.

I think it makes some sense to plan for a flat screen of some type and size to run a loop of hunting pictures and videos.
Loop photos/videos of hunting and places that were a part of your travels. Scenery, respective maps of your hunting and travel locations, people you interacted with on each hunt respectively; again like pages in a book.

ie. If your first set of trophies are of North American game your first photos and videos should be of those areas and people, your next set of mounts are from East Cape, South Africa photos and videos should show be of East Cape, South Africa, etc. etc.

As you speak of your respective travel(s) it's suddenly is not so much about the killing of animal(s) but of your particular adventure(s). And how you, {in your guest perspective, although subliminally}, impacted the locals prosperity through hunting and killing an animal in a positive manner to a "...poor village..." by providing a needed subsistence.

Thereby the hides, mounts, etc. in your perspective are 3D photos that remind you of such a great adventure. And not just a "...sadistic lust for killing...".

I think it makes some sense to plan for a flat screen of some type and size to run a loop of hunting pictures and videos.

For dry fire practice ;)

Just went to a neighbors house to look at his office. He did it himself in knotty alder with a mixed stain. He’s going to get me the exact mix, but I think this is the direction we are heading, only modified for a gun room with fireplace instead of an office.

IMG_4812.jpeg
IMG_4813.jpeg
IMG_4806.jpeg
IMG_4811.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I built my gun room adjacent to the trophy room, but in a sperate locable area.
Gun Room

New Gun Room

The trophy room itself is as much about the antiques, militaria, and art as it is about dead animals.
antique4.jpg

antiques7.jpg

antlers2.jpg

antlers3.jpg

art2.jpg

I think I’m going to pull the trigger and finished my gun/trophy room, or as my wife and daughters call it, the library. I don’t have a lot of space, and want to make sure I do it correctly. The plan is some type of wood (walnut, cherry, pine, et) beams, wainscot, gun cabinets on each side of the fireplace with shelving going all the way across, maybe cabinets, etc. The room is 19ft wide x16.5ft deep with 9.8ft ceiling. So its not huge at all, and I want to keep it cozy and not crazy. Here’s some pictures of the room, and ideas that I’m going off off. My Buffalo will go over the fireplace. Anyone have some pictures of something similar? Thanks In advance.

Jet

View attachment 579650View attachment 579651View attachment 579652View attachment 579654View attachment 579655View attachment 579657View attachment 579656View attachment 579653
I love that gun cabinet. I'd love to have something like that, but I'd need to get something extremely secure - little kids running around the house makes that a necessity - maybe bullet proof glass?

I love that gun cabinet. I'd love to have something like that, but I'd need to get something extremely secure - little kids running around the house makes that a necessity - maybe bullet proof glass?
My daughters are 8 and 10, and I have another room that has a key pad entry and my gun safes. My ammo is in another gun safe all together, so even when they will be on display, there will be no chance of having ammo for the guns. With that said, the display gun cases will have locks as well. The guns will go away when we leave for trips, aren’t using the room, etc.

These threads always make me give my house a dirty look. Like it's not my own fault I don't have a beautiful setup like those above :LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Capt Tom

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!