Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NMLRA, SCI,
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa, Zimbabwe
TIA, for any and all help I can get from the forum members.

I need assistance in locating ammunition and reloading components for my 38-55 caliber, Winchester Model 1895.

I have checked with my usual ammunition and reloading suppliers and several websites to no avail.

I am hoping that someone on here knows where there is 38-55 ammunition and/or reloading components are available for my rifle.

For reloading components I'm needing .379 or .380 diameter, preferably 200, 240, or 250 grain, Flat Nose, Lead, JSP, and Mono bullets, and 38-55 brass.

Since this is a modern Wichester rifle I can shoot smokeless and black powder cartridges, but I would prefer smokeless powder cartridges.

If it's available for backorder order it, don't procrastinate. It means its about to go into production. If you wait, you may miss out completely.
I've been seeing things on "backorder" for the last 3 years and it still isn't available.

Old Western Scrounger? They still in business?
Another company I haven't heard of I'll look them up. If they are or are not still in business I'll post their status here.
Thanks for the info.

Another company I haven't heard of I'll look them up. If they are or are not still in business I'll post their status here.
Thanks for the info.

Just looked up Old Western Scrounger on the Internet. They are still in business and have a few interesting items, but didn't have any 38-55 ammo or reloading accessories.

Thanks again for the info freefall.

TIA, for any and all help I can get from the forum members.

I need assistance in locating ammunition and reloading components for my 38-55 caliber, Winchester Model 1895.

I have checked with my usual ammunition and reloading suppliers and several websites to no avail.

I am hoping that someone on here knows where there is 38-55 ammunition and/or reloading components are available for my rifle.

For reloading components I'm needing .379 or .380 diameter, preferably 200, 240, or 250 grain, Flat Nose, Lead, JSP, and Mono bullets, and 38-55 brass.

Since this is a modern Wichester rifle I can shoot smokeless and black powder cartridges, but I would prefer smokeless powder cartridges.
Starline will allow a backorder. It took about 5 weeks for my backorder of 6.5 Grendell to ship (should arrive in 2 days). When they allow a backorder, it typically indicates a run is planned.

or, if you want the longer brass

Attachments

• 38-55 Brass (2.080") - Large Rifle - Brass Cases.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 38
  • 38-55 Long Brass (2.125) - Large Rifle - Brass Cases.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 36
Starline will allow a backorder. It took about 5 weeks for my backorder of 6.5 Grendell to ship (should arrive in 2 days). When they allow a backorder, it typically indicates a run is planned.

or, if you want the longer brass

I was able to gain a bit more knowledge about this caliber and now I have to do some checking with Winchester on what the chamber length is for this particular production rifle, whether I require the long or the short brass before I place my order and max case trim length, as the load data I have designates the max case trim length for the shorter brass.

I have shot my mod 94 with a lot of 30-30 brass that I have expanded. IT works ok, and gives you some plinking and practice rounds..................FWB

I just happen to have a couple hundred new Starline 38-55 cases that I don't need. They are the longer cases that the newer Winchesters use. I ordered them from Starline, they got put on backorder. I gave up on them after about a year and found some new Starline bullets at an auction. Then a few months later Starline comes through with my backorder.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Capt Tom

Latest profile posts

Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!