Namibia Taxidermist, Trophaendienste

I had dip and pack done on my 2022 trophies which included cape buff, sable, bushbuck, lechwe, nyala, oryx and baboon. Just had them shipped just before Thanksgiving this year. Trophies were shipped to Chicago from Windhoek and total cost of just shipping was $4,100. Obviously very expensive but all quotes I got were pretty close to that and given the amount of trophies shipped and the current status of getting trophies home from Africa I don’t feel that I was cheated. It is definitely expensive getting trophies home for sure.

I had dip and pack done on my 2022 trophies which included cape buff, sable, bushbuck, lechwe, nyala, oryx and baboon. Just had them shipped just before Thanksgiving this year. Trophies were shipped to Chicago from Windhoek and total cost of just shipping was $4,100. Obviously very expensive but all quotes I got were pretty close to that and given the amount of trophies shipped and the current status of getting trophies home from Africa I don’t feel that I was cheated. It is definitely expensive getting trophies home for sure.
And that’s with no import broker fee on top of that?

That’s 3 times what I budgeted 5 years ago for dip and pack shipping.

It’s my first time as well, so blind leading the blind here…

But I’ve seen some kinda crazy shipping prices come from the recommend shippers of Trophaendienste…. Almost certainly there is kick backs for them. Thats just my hunch. Just how the business goes.

Titus @Yellow Shark Logistics I think will be able to beat the recommended shipper from the taxidermist and I feel happy handing them over to his control while they are in Namibia still.

All this is yet to be finalized and I hope it all works without costing something ridiculous for just all finished small skulls and two zebra rugs

I used their regular shipper and had no problems and I did not feel like the price was bad at all. Just completed all transactions last July.

I used their regular shipper and had no problems and I did not feel like the price was bad at all. Just completed all transactions last July.
Thanks for insight! Good to know

@dchum, that is correct, that was for shipping only. The broker fee was another $1400, which included a few days of storage since my crate arrived a right before Thanksgiving. I certainly understand now why some people are going on safari and only bringing back photographs and videos of their hunts. I haven’t quite convinced myself to do that but I’m getting closer to going that route.

@dchum, that is correct, that was for shipping only. The broker fee was another $1400, which included a few days of storage since my crate arrived a right before Thanksgiving. I certainly understand now why some people are going on safari and only bringing back photographs and videos of their hunts. I haven’t quite convinced myself to do that but I’m getting closer to going that route.

The flip side to that is I have coffee every morning with my feet on my zebra rug, and I smile with all the memories it brings. The fees are long forgotten.

@375er, that is so true. Not sure if looking at a picture or watching a video would elicit the same level of fond recollection as the actual taxidermy does for me. I do so enjoy being around my taxidermy/memories. So far the only concession I have made is I’ve been doing more euro mounts than shoulder mounts.

But for me, some animals a shoulder mount will only do. But what really gets me is the animals that I will only be happy with as life sized mounts. Fortunately I planned my house around being able to accommodate lots of taxidermy so I haven’t run out of space, yet…. I’m just grateful that these are issues I have to figure out.

Great to hear that they produce quality taxidermy. but they seem quite impossible to reach. Does anyone have an alternative way of contacting them besides from their webpage or their phone nr?
Thanks!

Great to hear that they produce quality taxidermy. but they seem quite impossible to reach. Does anyone have an alternative way of contacting them besides from their webpage or their phone nr?
Thanks!
I personally wouldn’t bother contacting them. Our only dealings with them were less than acceptable. It was downright disheartening and put me off hunting Africa for a bit. Nothing you can say will change my mind. Do yourself a favour and find another taxidermy studio.

I personally wouldn’t bother contacting them. Our only dealings with them were less than acceptable. It was downright disheartening and put me off hunting Africa for a bit. Nothing you can say will change my mind. Do yourself a favour and find another taxidermy studio.
Thanks for your reply Mark. Do you have another studio you would recommend?

I couldn't agree more and will never waste another cent there.

My recommendation for Namibia is Ingwe Wildlife Art.

Wow, when was this? I wonder if they’ve gotten better or if they’ve gotten worse?

They did shoulder, euro mounts, and giraffe ottoman for me. They do good work but everything in Namibia is slow. They also never sent the rest of the giraffe skin. Oh well.
They have a nice shop you can visit near Windhoek and there is a gift shop there as well.

Hello Mark R and Tim Blackwell,

I’m sorry to learn that your experiences were bad.
When you guys get around to it, could you post your details (photos as well) ?
I cannot possibly be the only one here who is curious about what happened.

Kind Regards,
Velo Dog.

Also worth mentioning is that Friedel Muirhead, there at Trophaendienste Taxidermy, has consistently been right on top of things, with my own taxidermy questions and concerns plus, with my hunting partners questions and concerns, who’ve had their goods processed by Trophaendienste as well.

Hello Mark R and Tim Blackwell,

I’m sorry to learn that your experiences were bad.
When you guys get around to it, could you post your details (photos as well) ?
I cannot possibly be the only one here who is curious about what happened.

Kind Regards,
Velo Dog.
You have seen our report here…. (y)

You have seen our report here…. (y)
Thanks, I’ll have a look.
Much appreciated.:)

Hi again Mark R,

I re-read your report from 6 or 7 years ago (2016-2017) and re-viewed your excellent photos from same.
Looks like I had both forgotten my having read it back in the day.
Anyway now, I have to add that I cannot blame you for your disappointment and very understandable anger.
Perhaps I would’ve been even less professional in my posting of such a debacle.
Wow, you had every right to post your warning, for sure.

As such, I do LOVE this, the world’s greatest forum.
It is the quintessential platform for us hunters to help each other decide who to hunt with and which taxidermists to avoid and which ones to send our hard earned money to.

With that, although Kowas Highland Hunting Safaris is a competitor with Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris, (my employer) there in Namibia —> Kowas shares an awesome reputation with us.
And, I salute Kowas for it.

I hope and pray that your future African hunting trips turn out extremely well.

My parting shot is that personally, I have found that now Trophanedienste Taxidermy, this many years later, has evidently ironed out their issues, as mine and those of my hunting partners experiences with them has turned out quite well lately.

My best regards,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.