My Next Heym Double Rifle

Well a funny thing happened on my happy wondering through SCI last week in Nashville. I stopped by the Heym booth and struck up the continued conversation about buying a quality used 577 NE over purchasing a new one fit to my specifications and getting the new one won out.

I ordered a new Heym 89B in 577 NE with case color hardened finish, with full level 3 engraving with gold accents and Elephant engraving on the bottom, highest quality wood and all custom fitted to my specifications by the team. I will be picking out the stock in approximately 8 weeks and cant wait for the next steps!

HH
I came super close to buying a Verney in 577 a few years ago, was just a bit too much money for me at the time. If I was to go with a really large calibre double in the future it will be the 577. Can't wait to see your 577 double, I will be watching this thread closely. Congratulations.

I came super close to buying a Verney in 577 a few years ago, was just a bit too much money for me at the time. If I was to go with a really large calibre double in the future it will be the 577. Can't wait to see your 577 double, I will be watching this thread closely. Congratulations.
I see Westley Richards and other top end gun makers go to 600NE for their very high end celebration doubles, like the Forrest Rifle. Is there much to choose between a 577 and a 600?

I see Westley Richards and other top end gun makers go to 600NE for their very high end celebration doubles, like the Forrest Rifle. Is there much to choose between a 577 and a 600?
I'd say the cost to buy a 577 or 600, the cost to feed either calibre, the recoil from either calibre etc would all be very similar. And I think most makers that make a 577 will make a 600? If I go with a 577 one day it will likely be a Heym or a Verney, the likes of Westley Richards is out of reach for me.

I don’t mean to threadjack but I thought his avatar was that British comedian. I don’t get much BBC reception so this is the only clip I remember:

Rookhawk, I watched this video and my first thought was I have to send this to rook hawk, then I saw who posted it. You made my day.

Cheers, Lon

I'd say the cost to buy a 577 or 600, the cost to feed either calibre, the recoil from either calibre etc would all be very similar. And I think most makers that make a 577 will make a 600? If I go with a 577 one day it will likely be a Heym or a Verney, the likes of Westley Richards is out of reach for me.
Other than the generally higher cost of purchasing a 577 or 600, shooting same can be fairly reasonable in terms of cost per shot and recoil. Brass will be the most expensive component, but if loads are kept on the lighter side, these big cases can be used for up to 25-30 reloads. The late Cap Pappas, author of The 600 Nitro Express and British Bore Rifles, and otherwise noted authority on shooting the big guns, did not always load them up full-house. Before his untimely passing last year, he and I shared data on reduced loadings for the 600. Cal used IMR 4831 with a bit of kapok filler with the lighter loadings to keep the powder over the primer. I typically use Accurate 5744 which does not generally acquire filler. Cal used his own coated 900gr cast bullets, some of which he had me try with my reduced loadings. I also used (and use) my own uncoated 900gr cast bullets and both the 900 and 825 monos from CuttingEdgeBullets. I usually draw a crowd at the range when I haul out the 600! If anyone out there is interested both Cal's 4831 loadings (right up to full-house) and my 5744 loadings (including ballistic info), feel free to send me a PM requesting same.

Congrats! Can I ask how long it will take for them to get it in your hands? And if not to personal, can you share pricing....thx

Heartiest Congratulations !

My friend, Mr. Mark Sullivan (of Nitro Express Safaris) uses the exact same piece (Heym Model 89B in .577 Nitro Express) as his current backup rifle of choice. He uses 750Gr Barnes TSX and 750Gr Cutting Edge Bullets Safari Solids loaded for him by Superior Ammunition. He likes this rifle so much that he's sold most of his other doubles and now uses this one exclusively. He intends to keep it for life.

I still would love to just "see the 89/577"

A member was kind enough to share a photos of his, in white @ the factory ..

Last edited:
So Chris has sent me some exhibition grade wood blanks to look at for the 577 NE. I’m partial to number 1 and 5. What do you guys think/like?
IMG_5978.jpg

IMG_5977.jpg

HH

So Chris has sent me some exhibition grade wood blanks to look at for the 577 NE. I’m partial to number 1 and 5. What do you guys think/like?
View attachment 546483
View attachment 546484

HH

#5 is the "best" piece of wood for a .577. What I'm looking for is straight grain at the head, slightly curving through the wrist. That is the piece that has that virtue.

Next, I look for pretty as a far distant second importance. That stock has plenty of elegant grain in the cheek of the stock that will look very nice.

That's my vote with your money. :)

I agree with the above but #5 is the prettiest as well. Good luck.

6, 5 or 1 in that order

Number 5 get's my vote. Good grain through the wrist, and definitely a looker too.

Number 5 get's my vote. Good grain through the wrist, and definitely a looker too.
#5 is so dark already, it will need minimal stain pigment. Just a grain fill will give it the appearance of a 1" deep finish with loads of curl, fiddle, and tiger stripe when the stock is complete.

@Hunting Hitman I don't know what Heym is up to with their finishes today. For many years they took their stock finishing training from pimps that built Perazzis and other high end target guns. Really gross. Heym has definitely moved to a more Anglo-oriented design aesthetic in recent years. I'd ask them for a hand rubbed satin oil finish with grain fill rather than a high-gloss Italianesque finish. 1.) Doesn't look gross/tacky. 2.) Doesn't shine in the bush like a signal mirror. 3.) When you scratch and scuff it, you can top-off to keep it looking great if its satin, but not if its closer to gloss.

A london oil finish, not a perazzi truoil finish would be my suggestion. The costs should be similar.

3, 5, 1 would be my choice but it’s your rifle! But from that lot you can’t go wrong - very nice selection. I’ll echo @rookhawk concerning the finish. Hand rubbed satin finish would be excellent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaroldTorr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?
We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!