My first 416 finally!

I did replace that thin (and hard) factory recoil pad with a 1” Decelerator on mine to increase LOP a bit. With a Leupold VX-6HD 1-6 and Warne QD rings mine is just over 10#s. Alaska Arms makes an extended floor plate for these Rugers that adds 1 additional round, additionally.

I did replace that thin (and hard) factory recoil pad with a 1” Decelerator on mine to increase LOP a bit. With a Leupold VX-6HD 1-6 and Warne QD rings mine is just over 10#s. Alaska Arms makes an extended floor plate for these Rugers that adds 1 additional round, additionally.
The extended floorplate and extra round adds more weight ... which might not be a bad thing.

Does Warne make qd rings that attach directly to the receiver like the Rugers do? I don't rely want to add a rail to mine. That Lupo vx6 is what I'm looking at too. That it a Trijicon

7.8 lbs. A bit light for 416 I've heard
Yup, pretty light for a 416 or even a 375. My Ruger Guide Gun in 338WN weighs 8.1 lbs naked, you'd think they'd bump the African up to around the 9lbs mark.

My 416 weighs 10.5lbs and it's still quite...lively haha.

You going to add a scope and rings? Mercury pad?

Scope and rings yes, probably a Leupold vx 5 or 6 1x6. Idk about a mercury pad I don't think it kicks bad enough for that unless I try some of those Buffalo Bore 350's at 2900. My M70 375 scoped is a lot heavier than the Ruger is
Yup, pretty light for a 416 or even a 375. My Ruger Guide Gun in 338WN weighs 8.1 lbs naked, you'd think they'd bump the African up to around the 9lbs mark.

My 416 weighs 10.5lbs and it's still quite...lively haha.

You going to add a scope and rings? Mercury pad?

I suspect the rear sight is easily removed but why change it? Ruger's rear sight is windage adjustable and those old style express 3-leaf things are not. They are as close to useless as you could get. No way will you ever be popping off anything at 300 yards with a 416. Filing away on rear sights or moving front sight in its slot to adjust zero? Ugh! That's cave man stuff. A Ruger rifle is not a 19th century cave man club.

Take it out of the stock and see if it's bedded. Must be or the rifle would be in pieces after sighting it in. 416 is not a gentle thing to shoot.
Actually, you might be surprised at how far you can shoot accurately with a properly scoped .416. I was turkey hunting with a friend earlier this week who, like me, shoots a .416 in Africa. His a Remington and mine a Hoffman, so nearly the same cartridge. We each figured the farthest we’ve shot an animal with our .416s was between 300-325 yards. We both shoot 400 grain bullets. I would not hesitate to shoot a plains game animal (not on dangerous game) with my .416 at 250-300 yards if that’s what I’m carrying at that time. I prefer closer no matter which rifle I’m carrying, but am not going to pass up something good at 300 yards just because I’ve got my .416 in my hands. It hits like Thor’s hammer, even way out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanielDalz

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.