Daktari

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
US: FL, ME
Hello everyone what animal do you find to be the most iconic of Oceania? I personally find it to be the Philippine Deer found in the Central Northern Mariana Islands and Guam for hunting. I picked this animal due to its esoteric nature and the fact that it is a truly native Oceanic species unlike many of the others listed below. However, it is hard to discount the experience of hunting Banteng or Buffalo in Australian Outback or Tahr in the mountains of New Zealand. Researching the hunting on the various Oceanic islands have opened up many additions to my bucket list!
Screenshot 2024-02-12 12.47.26 AM.png

Philippine Deer

1707717241649.png

Tough question. I’ve hunted a lot of them on that list - I’ll be missing three or four of them by the end of this year.
I lived for foot hunting of tahr and I’d place that as the most iconic - but of course you can hunt them elsewhere in the world.
Most enjoyable was probably last years water buff hunt with Simon Kyle- Little.
Best scenery was the Whitetail up the Rees Valley. Lowest success rate for me was sambar in NZ.
To be honest I’ve loved all the hunting I’ve done. Truly blessed to live in NZ.

I would rather hunt indigenous animals. You have picked a good one! NZ has little appeal for me Even though it is like a vacuum to everyone I know!

I would rather hunt indigenous animals. You have picked a good one! NZ has little appeal for me Even though it is like a vacuum to everyone I know!
I haven't travelled far or hunted many species but a day hunting is better than a good day at work.
I expect I will go to New Zealand first chance, hunt it or not I'm hoping to rack up experiences in this lifetime.
At the top of my list will be to catch up with Garry, aka Von Gruff.
Will make an effort to meet with any AH members past and present given reasonable opportunity.
Will hunt every species I reasonably can too

My wife and I are looking at dates now for a hunt in New Zealand and will most likely go sometime between May and June 2025...

Currently we're planning on tahr, red stag, and probably do a wallaby cull/control hunt while we are there as well..

While we expect the hunting to be a lot of fun and likely an exceptional experience, we're looking at New Zealand much like we did our Ireland hunt.. we're planning a full "vacation" and intend on spending 7-10 days there, with only 3-4 being dedicated hunting days.. the rest of the time we plan on driving around the South Island, taking in the sights, and playing tourist.. thats the real draw for us.. the ability to combine a hunt with other activities and an opportunity to explore somewhere that neither of us have ever been before..

Hunted South Island this past August. Hunting Chamios and Tahr was incredible. Scenery is unbelievable and the mountains are for real! When hunting in NZ, always plan more time to tour the North and South Islands. They are very different and both very unique. Aukland may be the best city that I've been in (and I'm not a city person). I would encourage anyone to plan a trip there!

Fair enough I guess. But down here in the Great Southern Land the only indigenous game, aside from water foul, are Roos, wallabies and crocodiles. And legally hunted crocodiles are few and far between.

The kiwis would only have waterfowl.

As to hunting in NZ. Well, there are a couple of ways to do it. Safari / game parks which I’m guessing most overseas hunters do. Not my cup of tea and if you’re referring to that type of hunting in NZ ……I can’t argue.

However, if you’re hunting public land and low fenced pastoral land then you are truly in for an adventure. The country is challenging and breathtaking. The hunting season generally lasts all year and the bag limits are set by your own ethics and standards.

I’ve been fortunate to have hunted some remote areas in Australia, New Zealand, Alaska and BC . NZ is not over shadowed by the others, it’s their equal.

Some of my most memorable hunting has been in NZ and my favourite hunting there would have to be chamois in the Southern Alps.

2023 NZ walk in, public land and an adventure.

03BF4941-C5BE-4483-8155-5F7A796FB1C1.jpeg
IMG_4328.jpeg
IMG_4330.jpeg
IMG_4335.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the Tasmanian devil!

Dad recounted an event from his primary school days, where one of the kids caught one and bought it to school for 'show and tell' in a hessian potato bag - from which it escaped into the classroom. :ROFLMAO:

Fair enough I guess. But down here in the Great Southern Land the only indigenous game, aside from water foul, are Roos, wallabies and crocodiles. And legally hunted crocodiles are few and far between.

The kiwis would only have waterfowl.

As to hunting in NZ. Well, there are a couple of ways to do it. Safari / game parks which I’m guessing most overseas hunters do. Not my cup of tea and if you’re referring to that type of hunting in NZ ……I can’t argue.

However, if you’re hunting public land and low fenced pastoral land then you are truly in for an adventure. The country is challenging and breathtaking. The hunting season generally lasts all year and the bag limits are set by your own ethics and standards.

I’ve been fortunate to have hunted some remote areas in Australia, New Zealand, Alaska and BC . NZ is not over shadowed by the others, it’s their equal.

Some of my most memorable hunting has been in NZ and my favourite hunting there would have to be chamois in the Southern Alps.

2023 NZ walk in, public land and an adventure.

View attachment 588167View attachment 588168View attachment 588169View attachment 588170
Thank you for sharing your experience. Yes this would be some kind of an adventure. My point is, as you've eluded to, I would have no interest in shooting a giant pen raised red deer and stay in a fancy lodge in NZ. I can do that in Texas. I'll hunt every where in the world I am able. I'll Most likely hunt my red deer in Europe. I must say that there were numerous Red deer hunts on auction at SCI that were very tempting Price wise!

Hunted South Island this past August. Hunting Chamios and Tahr was incredible. Scenery is unbelievable and the mountains are for real! When hunting in NZ, always plan more time to tour the North and South Islands. They are very different and both very unique. Aukland may be the best city that I've been in (and I'm not a city person). I would encourage anyone to plan a trip there!
Most if not all on the South Island would hang you for that. They have a saying JAFA, Just Another Fucken Auklander. :LOL:

My hunts in NZ for Tahr and Chamois have all been free range and mostly adventures. Last year was a bit of a disappointment. Sunny cool weather, got my Tahr first day without climbing high and though heart shot he ran down hill. Every other animal that I have shot that has not dropped on the spot ran uphill if any hills were about. In NZ I am normally in, for me, very cold to freezing weather, low clouds and rain or snow. Got caught out in a snow storm one year. No adventure last year. :LOL:

Last edited:
Most if not all on the South Island would hang you for that. They have a saying JAFA, Just Another Fucken Auklander. :LOL:

My hunts in NZ for Tahr and Chamois have all been free range and mostly adventures. Last year was a bit of a disappointment. Sunny cool weather, got my Tahr first day without climbing high and though heart shot he ran down hill. Every other animal that I have shot that has not dropped on the spot ran uphill if any hills were about. In NZ I am normally in, for me, very cold to freezing weather, low clouds and rain or snow. Got caught out in a snow storm one year. No adventure last year. :LOL:
It's no country for old men Rule 303 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

see ya next week.

Banteng for me. A special animal in a special place. But more people would probably say our Water Buffalo, or locals might say Sambar.

I'll also second the posters mentioning free-range Tahr, one of the most challenging hunts anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VirgieDunh

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!