Monolithic Solids

1peggy

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Spain, Germany, Zimbabwe, Zambia
When reloading solid copper or brass bullets, ie: CEB solids, Woodleigh hydros, or others, where do you start vs soft nose loads in the same caliber. I am using 88 grains of Reloder 15 behind Woodleigh 500 grain soft nose bullets in a 470. Help please.

Email Geoff at Woodleigh for info on Hydros. On the 416 he recommended basically the same load as the soft point, but I still backed off a few and worked up.

Shooting Barnes solids, 87gr RL15 started showing pressure in my rifle.

Have no experience with CEB in the 470, but found great accuracy/speed with Noslers using other powders.

Good luck!

It depends on every bullet manufacturer if I take Impala bullets which are solid brass he makes the bullet diameter slightly smaller and has driving bands less pressure.

Monolithics is longer than normal premium leadcore bullets so it will have more pressure if you load the cartridge to the same lenght with the same load. So normally I back up with a grain or two measure the speed and get the bullets to hit same Point of aim at the hunting distance I will be doing hunting.
Driving band monos has helped a bunch in the pressure deparment while there are still monos out there without any.

Try 112 grains of H1000 for the 500Gr .470 caliber Cutting Edge Bullets Safari Solids.

With my 470 this past week 84 grains of RL 15.5 gave me regulation of .8 of an inch for 4 shots at 50 yards using CEBs. I will next use the same 84 grains and go up to 88 grains so 4 shots at 84 grains, then 4 shots at 85 grains, etc. until my regulation and POI are with my CEB

With Hydros I use the same load as for the same weight soft nose. Word of warning: Hydros are bore riders, that is the bullet shank is the same diameter as the lands, in effect has driving band. So if the Monolith bullet has driving bands you should be OK with SN data.

If the Monolith solid you are using is say like Barnes start low and work up.

For our bullet. If you make a load with SS and then want to use a CPS start 1,5 grain under for the CPS and you will be really close to have same point of impact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manojsharma

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)