Model 70 getting close to be finished

mauserhunter

AH veteran
Reaction score
This rifle has come a long way since I bought it a few years ago as a barreled action, the rifle was destroyed by a old timer with dementia and went at it with what looked like a pick and a brick. It was once a 1953 supergrade m70, unfortunately the stock was destroyed along with most of the parts for the rifle. I got it as the barrel, action, complet bolt,magazine,and triggerguard all else were missing. The barrel had what seemed like hundreds of dents from some thing sharp, the action was mostly spared with only a few dings. It wasn't until I got home I found out it was a supergrade after seeing the Redfield full gold bead front sight. I would have liked to put it back together as a sg but it would just have cost to much money I didn't have.

So I figured to just make it into a usable rifle again and enjoy it out in the woods, I bought a synthetic stock off a member from a post 64 classic and fit the action to it. I made some pillars and bedded the action. I needed the missing parts and after messaging Andy from pre64.com he made me a offer for the front sight and that paid for the parts I needed and a new standard front sight. I had to bed the triggerguard and bottom metal since there a bit different from the pre and post 64, the action screw holes were relocated in the stock with pillars bedded in. The classics have a rounder bolt handle so I filled the notch in the stock for the pre 64 bolt. Made a flip flop recoil pad for now, the original from the synthetic stock must be 5 or 6 oz. I cut of 1/2" of the stock since I like lop under 13.5", barrel is free floated except the first inch or so of the barrel at the action. Pre64win had a dlc coated floorplate and follower I picked up from them as well, that finish is definitely tuff.

crap picture from my old tablet but shows the dents.
IMG_20221221_201056_hdr.jpg
20240128_222640.jpg
20240128_222757.jpg
20240405_165731.jpg
20240405_165812.jpg
20240405_165831.jpg
20240415_160456.jpg
20240415_160532.jpg
20240416_204310.jpg
20240416_204340.jpg

The barrel I was able to draw file the dents out and just put some cold blue on for now, I would like to rust blue the gun some day. The barrel had a small rust spot in side I think I got most out but there seems the be a burr or something in the chamber where the neck is that leaves a scratch on the brass. I don't have a scope to see exactly what's going on but will give the chamber a polish that may clean it up. Still need to see how it shoots, I have a backup barrel that's in 3006 as well incase this one doesn't, the bluing on the other barrel is actually pretty good its a 1955 with the soldered on ramp.

The stock had some scratches and dings and to cover up the bedded I figured I'd camo the stock since it's a working rifle anyway. Used rustoleum camo colors and applied it with sponges after a few base coats of flat black. Did 3 coats of rustoleum matte clear to help protect the camo.

For my birthday I picked up a leupold vx-3hd 3.5-10×40 firedot scope with the twilight reticle and some medium talley 30mm lightweights, I think I could fit with lows which I may try the scope is up a bit higher then I like. Would like to get some talley classic bases and qd rings but don't have the funds for that right now. Picked up a set of leupold alumina caps on sale.

I still need to get better pictures of the finished rifle just dealing with a injury at the moment. Hope to get out sometime next month to the range and see how it shoots, I have to get some bullets still and load up some test rounds. Think I need to grab a set of dies to but I'll use my dad's set when I'm up by him for now, probably will be getting some speer hot cor 165s to start out and would like to try the new 172 impact bullets.

I don't see it in your description but I presume this rifle is 30-06? Good job bringing it back to life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneTap

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !