Mid life crisis?

I do have a decent job. A lot of it though is we are good with our finances. No debt other than a mortgage and we didn’t over spend on a house. It’s a nice house but not outside our means by any stretch. We don’t drive the newest trucks that cost $60k+, our vehicles are paid off, no student loans or anything, no credit card debt, no big expensive boats, or RVs. Don’t really eat out much, don’t have cable tv or a bunch of subscriptions like Netflix or anything. Basically we live well within our means. Which gives us some financial flexibility to buy some nice things once in awhile or afford to take a family of 4 to Africa for 10 days.
I think you folks are cut from the same cloth as me and my late wife. Sounds like you have too much sense for a double rifle. :D

Here's the 404 Jeffery I built this past summer. I'm busy making a case for it now, using the lumber left over from the one I made for a Citori shotgun a couple years ago. I expect my grandson will take that rifle to Africa some day after I'm gone. Hopefully.
20231019_114147.jpg

Citori case 1.JPG

Citori case 2.JPG

If I were in your shoes I would get a scoped .375 that you can shoot lights out. Then with the 10k you would have spent on a double, go hunt a buff or non-trophy elephant.

Doubles are a lot of fun. I shoot basically everything I can with a double with iron sights. It all reality though, a double is more of a handicap than an advantage for a client.

We are the same age, but I’ve been to Africa enough that on any given trip I don’t really care if I shoot anything or not. The handicap of iron sights double doesn’t bother me. I also do like the double for elephant hunting.

In my opinion the best value for a double is a used Krieghoff.

I also have a VC .450/.400 that’s a nice value. I’m actually trying to sell at the moment because it’s too close in caliber to my .500/.416 that I don’t anticipate using it.

First, enjoy your upcoming Safari. Let us know who you’re going with and what your main targets are.

Second, a Double Rifle does have a certain allure. I have two for this reason, but haven’t achieved my dream of a buff or ele with one of them yet. As of current, all my DG has fallen to a scoped M70 in 375H&H.

With $10k as your budget, you’re going to pretty much limit yourself to Sabatti, a used Chapuis, or Merkel. If you get super lucky a used VC or Heym might be possible for a little over your budget. I believe a new Chapuis is now $14,999.

Like mentioned above, the 375 with a scope opens up your shot options and opportunities. Ammo is much more readily available and significantly cheaper. The rifle itself is cheaper and if you factor in safari #2 (buff) + DR, you could have a 375 and Safari # 2 (buff) & most of #3 for the same cost (or an absolutely epic #2 for buff and ele or something).

First, enjoy your upcoming Safari. Let us know who you’re going with and what your main targets are.

Second, a Double Rifle does have a certain allure. I have two for this reason, but haven’t achieved my dream of a buff or ele with one of them yet. As of current, all my DG has fallen to a scoped M70 in 375H&H.

With $10k as your budget, you’re going to pretty much limit yourself to Sabatti, a used Chapuis, or Merkel. If you get super lucky a used VC or Heym might be possible for a little over your budget. I believe a new Chapuis is now $14,999.

Like mentioned above, the 375 with a scope opens up your shot options and opportunities. Ammo is much more readily available and significantly cheaper. The rifle itself is cheaper and if you factor in safari #2 (buff) + DR, you could have a 375 and Safari # 2 (buff) & most of #3 for the same cost (or an absolutely epic #2 for buff and ele or something).
I'd suggest a Win 70 in 375HH with a good Leupold scope. Run around 2k. Take the rest of the 10k and put it into your safari. You can still get a buf and a 375HH with Barnes 350gr TSX will do the job. Been there, done that.

These are all really good points. To your first point we are headed to Limpopo province with Sensational hunting safaris near Mokopane. Main targets for my daughter are zebra, impala, and springbok. Main targets for me are kudu, zebra, impala, and I’d really like a big warthog. Like reallllllly like a big warthog.

To some of your other points, the double rifle has the allure but you make a really good point about more safaris and even the possibility of elephant by purchasing a nice bolt gun.

There is nothing like a double rifle buffalo hunt in Africa, don’t compromise, do it! The correct calibre is 450/400, but you can also use a 375 H&H double. And for sure you can fit a scope if you really must, but a 1moa Trijicon RMR is the way to go.

Here is a double well within your price range and in the great 450/400 chambering

We all have dreams. At the age of 71, mine is to successfully hunt a rhinoceros and to own a James Purdey & Sons .600 Nitro Express sidelock ejector double rifle. I am willing to compromise on the make of the .600 Nitro Express, but not on the rhinoceros hunt.

First, let's directly point you to what you're looking for. A brand new double rifle within your budget would probably have to be either a Chapuis or a Sabatti. But I don't really like Sabatti. Chapuis is okay. If you're willing to dish out a little bit more in the way of funds, then a basic engraved Heym Model 89B gets my vote.

On the secondhand market, good quality Belgium made double rifles can be had for very decent bargains (since they don't really carry the resale value or expensive names of the more high end English doubles). If you insist on an English made double, then a Birmingham made one is likely to be more affordable than a London made one. Boxlocks can be had for lesser money than sidelocks (as a general rule). The ones manufactured by Webley & Scott and retailed through the likes of Army & Navy or Manton & Co. or R.B Rodda & Co. present the greatest values for the money. Condition may be hit or miss (which obviously comes with the territory of purchasing a secondhand vintage firearm), so I suggest that you be very careful in regards to who you purchase a secondhand double rifle from.

Now, I agree with the others regarding what they have advised you. The most logical course of action in your scenario, would be to acquire a currently manufactured bolt actioned .375 Holland & Holland Magnum. Like a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express or a Mauser Model 98 Magnum Diplomat. But life is too short to live purely on cold hard logic.

When I went on my life's first African safari to Kenya in 1974, I had the good fortune to visit the famed "Shaw & Hunter" gun store in Nairobi. The secondhand rack was a double rifle lover's paradise. Best Grade English double rifles of the highest quality could be had for mere peanuts, because the sole manufacturer of Nitro Express ammunition at the time (I.C.I Kynoch) had ceased operations in 1969. I had the opportunity to purchase a very beautiful lightly used .600 Nitro Express sidelock ejector built by James Purdey & Sons in 1946 (regulated for the higher velocity 110Gr cordite loading). Along with the original rosewood case and all the cleaning accessories. For an amount of money which is less than what a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum costs today. I didn't avail the opportunity, because I was worried about the absence of factory loaded ammunition for the .600 Nitro Express.

Looking back to that day 49 years ago, I immensely regret my decision now. I could have had the most beautiful .600 Nitro Express in existence for a dirt cheap price. And I didn't take my chance. An opportunity like that never presented itself to me ever again.

Nowadays, I hunt my African game predominantly with my son-in-law's Remington Model 700 in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum. To it's credit, it's doing a really good job at downing game. But it's definitely not my dream rifle.

Last edited:
Aren’t you all supposed to like talk me out if this or something? Not talk me into it!

I don’t quite think you understand what you signed up for, when you registered on AH!

Well I will do my best to help. I hunted my first buffalo with a iron sighted double. It was a fantastic experience!!!!! As @Red Leg pointed out a reputable dealer is a must. I can recommend a few. Since you are in AZ I could let you shoot a couple doubles from 8x57 to 500/416 so you could see if you get big hard by the double bug. Can also let you try a 375-404-458-505 in bolt guns to see which platform works best for you.

Well I will do my best to help. I hunted my first buffalo with an iron sighted double. It was a fantastic experience!!!!! As @Red Leg pointed out a reputable dealer is a must. I can recommend a few. Since you are in AZ I could let you shoot a couple doubles from 8x57 to 500/416 so you could see if you get big hard by the double bug. Can also let you try a 375-404-458-505 in bolt guns to see which platform works best for you.
That is quite the offer. I’d love to give a big double a try to see if I even like it. Never shot anything bigger than a .338 win mag which was fine so not really sure about recoil on the big bores. I’ll hit you up after the busy holidays here and see where you are.

If you are like most of us, you won’t do just one buffalo hunt. I would suggest you get a scoped .375 H&H for your first buffalo hunt. It will open up more shot opportunities, and it is a weapon you will be much more familiar with. However, if the dream is a double rifle and you are willing to live with its limitations, go for it.

Also, don’t succumb to the ‘do a plains game safari first’ advice. If you want to hunt buffalo, go hunt buffalo. My first four safari’s were buffalo hunts. I wouldn’t have done it any differently.
I couldn’t agree with this more . My first hunt was a DG hunt and with a scoped 375. In my opinion you should be well experienced in the African bush before hunting DG with a double. Now that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it, but all African game is hard to see in the thick jess and not knowing what to look for really hurts your hunt if you’re stuck with open sights. I most likely will never take another rifle other than my scoped 375. The only change I would make is if I was to hunt elephant, then I would change to a much lower powered scope.

Aren’t you all supposed to like talk me out if this or something? Not talk me into it!
lol!!! you are on the wrong site my friend!!!! We are all enablers and have been enabled on this site. my “friends” have enabled me into 6 different DRs

Such newbie innocence. Wrong forum if you are looking for help to be talked out of a DR or planning for only one safaris. :E Rofl:

We talk members into DG and PG types of rifles and calibers while helping them to start planning their next safaris before they have been on their first one...or 100th. :E Rofl:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Swamptrudger

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,