Mammals of the Pleistocene Era, which would you like to hunt and what cartridge would you use?

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I've always been interested in these early mammals that used to walk our continent. I've been reading Steven Rinellas book "American Buffalo" which eludes to many of these bygone mammals that dwarf their modern day descendants.

Hypothetically, if these large mammals were around today, which would you like to hunt and with what cartridge?

A few examples:

The 930lb American Lion or 1,000lb Smilodon.

The 4,400lb Bison latifrons

The 240lb Dire wolves

The 2 tonne Woolly Rhinoceros or 11 tonne Mammoth

The 2,200lb cave bear

Last edited:
I've always been interested in these early mammals that used to walk our continent. I've been reading Steven Rinellas book "American Buffalo" which eludes to many of these bygone mammals that dwarf their modern day descendants.

Hypothetically, if these large mammals were around today, which would you like to hunt and with what cartridge?

A few examples:

The 930lb American Lion or 1,000lb Smilodon.

The 4,400lb Bison latifrons

The 240lb Dire wolves

The 2 tonne Woolly Rhinoceros or 11 tonne Mammoth

The 2,200 cave bear
You missed the latest MeatEater podcast. Dire wolves were around 140lbs the TV been lying to us.

I'd take a shot at a Bison latifrons with a 1000+grain arrow, well over 25% FOC.

You missed the latest MeatEater podcast. Dire wolves were around 140lbs the TV been lying to us.

I'd take a shot at a Bison latifrons with a 1000+grain arrow, well over 25% FOC.
Haven't listened to that one yet.

Those early bison apparently had straight horns with a 7 ft spread.

Bison latifrons.jpg

It’s funny you bring this subject up. Last month my wife and I took our dinosaur obsessed boys (5&7) to the Royal Tyrell Museum. During the visit, I had come to the conclusion that personally, I find ice age animals much more fascinating that dinosaurs (maybe because they’re more relatable).

For me a mammoth would be hands down top of the list
2C0911DC-5C4A-4313-8B0C-4C0336EEB0F8.jpeg

Followed likely by an Irish Elk!

Any of the extinct mega fauna would be epic. What we consider 'big game' today are little more than the weedy remnants still clinging to existence.
If you consider yourself a hunter, just remember early hunted them with little more than pointy sticks.

Hands down . . Wooly Mammoth . . .

After that it would be hard to beat an Irish Elk . . .

I'm jealous, the Tyrell museum is at the top of our lists to see as well. Our kids are also obsessed with dinosaurs and I wasn't even aware the museum had exhibits for early mammals so that's a bonus.
It’s funny you bring this subject up. Last month my wife and I took our dinosaur obsessed boys (5&7) to the Royal Tyrell Museum. During the visit, I had come to the conclusion that personally, I find ice age animals much more fascinating that dinosaurs (maybe because they’re more relatable).

For me a mammoth would be hands down top of the list
View attachment 551180

Followed likely by an Irish Elk!
l

Any of the extinct mega fauna would be epic. What we consider 'big game' today are little more than the weedy remnants still clinging to existence.
If you consider yourself a hunter, just remember early hunted them with little more than pointy sticks.
Which is just mind boggling, I wonder what the hunter fatality numbers were like during these hunts.

I'm jealous, the Tyrell museum is at the top of our lists to see as well. Our kids are also obsessed with dinosaurs and I wasn't even aware the museum had exhibits for early mammals so that's a bonus.

l
It would be a great spot to stop if you ever do a tour of the west

I've been obsessed with mammoths since I was a kid so that is the easy answer.
That being said, it could easily be like my first trip to Africa where I thought I knew everything I "wanted" until I got there and saw all the species in person and half the list changed!

No contest - Megaloceros giganteus The Irish Elk or Stag.

elk4.jpg

Irish elk. I don't see how what appears to be a modern sized elk (wapiti) head can support what looks like to me a set of modern day moose (elk in Europe) antlers? The mass and weight look too heavy for the head?

I've been obsessed with mammoths since I was a kid so that is the easy answer.
That being said, it could easily be like my first trip to Africa where I thought I knew everything I "wanted" until I got there and saw all the species in person and half the list changed!
What do you figure would be a mammoth worthy cartridge? About the same as what's used in elephant?

Irish elk. I don't see how what appears to be a modern sized elk (wapiti) head can support what looks like to me a set of modern day moose (elk in Europe) antlers? The mass and weight look too heavy for the head?
He stood seven feet at the shoulders (taller than the largest Canadian moose) and the antlers extended 12 feet from tip to tip. He would make a modern day wapiti or red stag look like a yearling fawn and his antlers would embarrass any moose or Eurpean elk that ever lived.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YXDEva848

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….